British woman raped, held hostage for two months in outback Australia - police

webfact

British woman raped, held hostage for two months in outback Australia - police

REUTERS

SYDNEY (Reuters) - A 22-year-old British woman was raped and assaulted a number of times while she was held hostage by a man during a two-month ordeal in the remote outback of northern Australia, police said on Tuesday.

The British backpacker was rescued on Sunday after officers stopped a car in Mitchell, a small rural town more than 550 km (340 miles) west of the Queensland state capital, Brisbane, police said.

The unidentified woman, who was driving the car, had visible injuries to her face and was noticeably distressed, prompting the officers to search the car, police said, and a 22-year-old man was found hiding in a small alcove in the back.

Police allege the woman was attacked repeatedly between Jan. 2 and March 5 after the pair met several months ago and agreed to go on a road trip together, during which she was held against her will.

The unidentified Australian man faced court on Monday, when he was charged with multiple counts of rape, assault and holding the backpacker against her will.

(Reporting by Colin Packham; Editing by Paul Tait)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2017-03-07

Pre-empting non-readers of articles tempted to say it's her fault for not being careful enough: this guy clearly made himself seem trustworthy. From the Guardian article: "Inspector Paul Hart said the pair, who met in Cairns, had briefly been in “a relationship that’s obviously soured.”

Being held captive in the outback for two months UGH. Nightmare fuel.

Well,  she was in a relationship with him ....  and that's why she went on the road trip. Now she was never to know he would not let her leave or that he would have his way with her.

He obviously couldn't handle her leaving and that's why he held her against her will.

He needs to face criminal prosecution for kidnapping, rape, and holding someone against their will.  

He should serve 1-2 years.

37 minutes ago, steven100 said:

Well,  she was in a relationship with him ....  and that's why she went on the road trip. Now she was never to know he would not let her leave or that he would have his way with her.

He obviously couldn't handle her leaving and that's why he held her against her will.

He needs to face criminal prosecution for kidnapping, rape, and holding someone against their will.  

10 -20 years surely.

That's time served, not the sentence.

Your suggested 1-2 years, by most peoples standards would be ludicrously lenient for that offence.

Edited by Andrew65

4 hours ago, steven100 said:

"He should serve 1-2 years."

Did you mean to say 10-20 years? Or 12 years? Because 1-2 years seems way too little for the things that this guy did. 

4 hours ago, steven100 said:

Are you mad ???? 1-2 years for multiple rapes, kidnapping, holding someone against her will,...and probably another 10 criminal offenses ?!?!?!? this is minimum a 10 year sentence in every civilized country !!!!

Just saw an article that I thought was the same as the OP, i.e., British backpacker kidnapped in Australia by mentally unstable dude.  But it appears to be a different case.  Weird.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4027326/British-backpacker-Mary-Kate-Heys-kidnapped-Australia-friend-met-hostel.html

Edited by Berkshire

2 minutes ago, Berkshire said:

Just saw an article that I thought was the same as the OP, i.e., British backpacker kidnapped in Australia by mentally unstable dude.  But it appears to be a different case.  Weird.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4027326/British-backpacker-Mary-Kate-Heys-kidnapped-Australia-friend-met-hostel.html

Yes, in this instance a different State, South Australia. Sadly violent crimes against back packers / females in Oz are not unusual. Approx one female a week murdered in Oz due to domestic violence.

Years ago, when I was backpacking in Mexico, I met a beautiful young blond American woman.  It was middle of the day and she was minding a tiny vendor's shack at a beach resort.  I started to try and pick her up.   She said she'd like to go out with me, but couldn't because she was being held prisoner by a Mexican guy.  I said, "just walk away."   She said she couldn't.  The Mexican was friends with the local police and each time she tried to leave, he would beat her savagely (had bruises when we spoke).  I thought of trying to be her knight and save her, but chickened out, not wanting to get my butt whipped, or worse.  I don't know what ensued.

She went into a service station to pay for fuel carrying her mobile phone.  She didnt mention anything to the attendant and when she left and couldnt pay for the fuel the attendant called the police who intercepted them nearby.  Why wouldnt she ask the attendant for help.

1 hour ago, Thechook said:

She went into a service station to pay for fuel carrying her mobile phone.  She didnt mention anything to the attendant and when she left and couldnt pay for the fuel the attendant called the police who intercepted them nearby.  Why wouldnt she ask the attendant for help.

Sounds as though she was severely traumatised.

Latest report states when she entered the service station she was crying, the service person noticed she had two black eyes and marks on her neck. After she returned to the vehicle she then departed without paying. The attendant followed the vehicle and called police. Medical tests later showed she had broken facial bones, strangulation marks and extensive bruising.

Hopefully the 22 year old male attacker, who also faces four charges for rape. will receive a severe jail sentence

Sounds as though she was severely traumatised.

Latest report states when she entered the service station she was shaking and crying, the service person noticed she had two black eyes and marks on her neck. Medical tests later showed she had broken facial bones, strangulation marks and extensive bruising.

The man, a 22-year-old from the Cairns suburb of Manunda, has already appeared in court on more than 20 charges, including four counts of rape, eight counts of assault, four of strangulation and two of deprivation of liberty. He is also facing drug charges. 

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2017/mar/07/woman-beaten-choked-and-raped-in-eight-week-ordeal-in-queensland-say-p

Hopefully he. will receive a severe jail sentence

14 hours ago, rudi49jr said:

"He should serve 1-2 years."

Did you mean to say 10-20 years? Or 12 years? Because 1-2 years seems way too little for the things that this guy did. 

well I guess your right ....   he should probably do more than 2 years ....   but i think 10 is a bit steep ...  after all, she knew him, and they were in a relationship, although that doesn't give him any right to hold her and have his way .... 

34 minutes ago, steven100 said:

well I guess your right ....   he should probably do more than 2 years ....   but i think 10 is a bit steep ...  after all, she knew him, and they were in a relationship, although that doesn't give him any right to hold her and have his way .... 

Domestic violence is under law enforcement / Courts spotlight in Oz, as is non consensual sex in a relationship (rape). I would think the offender will get a lengthy custodial sentence.

18 hours ago, bangkokorbust said:

Lots of creepy guys preying on woman in the outback. Nobody gonna hear you scream

Many years ago an Aussie friend of a friend told me that whenever he went touring around the top-end in his ute he always had a firearm (for self-defence) with him (they're not just preying on women).

Edited by Andrew65

6 hours ago, steven100 said:

Ok after further discussion and consideration. We have concluded that he should do 3 years and a 500 baht fine.