TRUE - anybody been given 3 days to change to fiber or maybe lose internet connection?

mokwit

I received an SMS TODAY telling me I have until 10th March 3 DAYS! to schedule an appointment to change internet technology - the operative I spoke to when I called was unable to confirm if my ADSL would be still functioning after 10th March. I am still waiting for them to call back to set appointment - they told me only two appointmet slots but they did not know when they would be available and I would have to tell them when i would be available (seems like a tactic to me) - in the next 3 days, like I had made no plans previously.

SO: I want to know how long my ADSL connection will remain connected (yes I know you will retire it at some point). It is unacceptable to give someone 3 days notice of a possible cut in internet service and requirement for a technician appointment. Having my internet cut off might cost me a lot of money.

TRUE should have formally written to me well in advance explaining the pending technology change and explaining the time schedules, not send me an SMS 3 days before the deadline. I accept I have to change at some point, but the way they have done this is very bad.

I had previously spoken with someone at TRUE* and was told it was not compulsory to change from ADSL to Fibre - I left it at that, as there is no point in changing as there is no increase in international speed (I asked), so why swap something I know works for something that may not work properly.?

I suspect this is a strong arm sales tactic to get people to switch to TRUE fibre as AIS are actively prospecting in my condo.

Anybody had similar? Are they going to turn off ADSL on 10 March leaving anybody who has not converted to fibre with 3 days notice without internet? I can't believe they could actually do that.

* I lost my internet connection and a web page with True customer service 'phone number magically appeared - I was told there was a problem with the line but then the operative asked me to change to Fibre. I suspect my loss of internet was set up by TRUE to encourage me to call them to discuss Fibre - if that was the case, I would like to point out that deliberately causing a loss of internet for commercial (not technical) reasons is not acceptable.

555...At least you got some kind of notification in advance.  My True ADSL just went dead...no warning whatsoever. After 2 days calling CS, a rep told me new lines were being installed and I would get a new Fiber/VDSL connection in 6 days, so 8 days, no service.

When I was finally re-connected, I received 30/5 Fiber/VDSL and so far, so good.  

Edited by dddave

1 hour ago, dddave said:

555...At least you got some kind of notification in advance.  My True ADSL just went dead...no warning whatsoever. After 2 days calling CS, a rep told me new lines were being installed and I would get a new Fiber/VDSL connection in 6 days, so 8 days, no service.

When I was finally re-connected, I received 30/5 Fiber/VDSL and so far, so good.  

8 days no service! For some that would be like a life sentence............

Is 30/5 more than you were getting before and have you noticed any difference? 

My True Adsl (high rise condo) went offline last Wednesday evening. Called on Thursday to find out that they apparently sent us a message sometime in February to let us know that we may face service disruptions. Of course I never got this message.

They said they would send someone to take a look at it on Friday between 1-5pm. Technician shows up after 5 to tell me that it's a "big job" so I'll have to wait for Monday.

Monday passes by and no word from them. They sent an SMS this morning to say someone will come but I don't need to tell you what happened do I.

Anyway I called SiNet on Saturday snd and they've set me up with 70/30 Vdsl since Sunday. Good bye True. First the removal of HBO, and now this. What a greedy company.

Sent from my HTC_M10h using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

I had a problem at the beginning of February and when I called they fixed it over the phone but said they would send an engineer out to update my stuff on 21 February. Nobody arrived then on 23 February my internet was cut off.

Again i called them and after a couple of calls i was told ADSL had been shut off in my area. They said an appointment had been set up to install fiber in my condo on 7 March. I said this was too long without internet (I have a 6 year old now on school holidays who likes to wake up early and watch cartoons on his tablet. No Wi-Fi then guess who is needing to wake up early with him) however they said there was nothing they could do.

The True guys came yesterday. Stood about outside the condo next to their van then i got a call to say a different team was needed and i would need to wait to be contacted by them to set up a time to install my new line.

Still heard nothing as of this morning. Oh but as they requested i still paid this months bill which they told me I should do even though they are supplying me with no service. Apparently it will be taken off on a future bill.

So still no Wi-Fi. Pretty pissed off with the way this has been dealt with. Don't see any end in sight. 

To the poster above. Yes no wi-fi from 23 February - 8 March and continuing has seemed like a life sentence. Especially with the school holidays at this time.

"TRUE MISERY - anybody been given 3 days to change to fiber or maybe lose internet connection?"

I remember having a few leaflets drop into my letter box offering me cable TV with True Internet, but I was not interested. One morning they cut the ADSL without warning and I lost my internet connection. I telephoned them and they told me I had agreed to change to True Cable Internet/TV package, which was completely untrue. They also told me that I had no choice and that I had to wait a week for them to install the fibre internet connection. After complaining, they installed it 2 days later. The speed sometimes is very fast and other times downloads seem to be blocked by them at peak times so it is still a case of "True Misery".

13 hours ago, dddave said:

Same here. Went off on a Saturday while back, but got it fixed on a Tuesday... All good, but was pretty miffed about not being told in advance and having to call several times to get somebody to install new fiber line and modem. The installation is done by subcontractor to true. They seem to be completely overwhelmed with the work load... 

True just cut off my ADSL service about a month ago with no notice. When we called the customer services, they said it was because of an upgrade to fibre in my moo-baan. After over a week with no service at all I moved to 3bb, which is cheaper and faster, and was installed in 2 days. This was a business connection, which I use continually for work. I spent a whole week doing remote support and emails via a wifi hotspot on my mobile. 

According to the last update from True 'customer service' they still 'have problem' in my moo-baan, and cannot get the fibre working or revert back to the ADSL. Pathetic. Will never go near them again. Have also downgraded my TV to the lowest package, which I am only keeping so the maid can watch Thai soaps in her room.

According to what they told my wife, this has happened a lot around town, where the 'upgrades' have not gone as planned(planned, in Thailand?), and they have had problems sorting it out.

Edited by stbkk

Got a notice the day before Christmas that all lines to out Village were being upgraded to Fiber/VDSL and to phone them...

Did so they made a good offer   100/30 Fiber/VDSL with Free IPTV box and Free home phone calls + 100 baht Free mobile phone calls per month for a year  all for 699 baht month...  They came that afternoon and fitted..

Do not have or use a home phone, never used the box [have all I need on my own box with Kodi] did change my one mobile to true, kept the other on AIS.....

Never had a problem since True was installed to the house only option to the Village back in March 2004......  but since the Fiber/VDSL was installed have Billing problems for the past 6 weeks, I pay at TRUE Office Westgate, yet every 3 days at 9:00 get a account suspension notice for non payment...  even Feb bill paid on 6th March, got yet another cut off yesterday.  must have phoned them 30+ times in the past 6 weeks [guess Friday it will go off again]   is getting a pain > call service centre no idea = they must contact engineering > they must contact Westgate and so the merry go round every 3 days !!  about 3 weeks ago so say a memo was added so this would not happen again.... yet every 3 day it starts all over again.

14 hours ago, dddave said:

Hahahahahaaaaaaa,..... happened to me on 19th February, that my internet got cut off without any warning, and then I had to wait until 2 weeks later, until last Sunday recently on 5th March, that they were able to come to my house to install it.....

2 weeks without internet, was indeed an experience, but at least I got a free TRUE TV receiver.......

13 hours ago, topt said:

8 days no service! For some that would be like a life sentence...

Shared connection with my iPhone's 4g

I do not see any difference in speed, so the rare "no service" is resolved in 30 seconds.

13 hours ago, topt said:

for me it was 2 weeks, lol......

15 hours ago, topt said:

Well, it did give me an incentive to visit a number of recently opened, wifi equipped coffee shops in my area, diligently taping away, using my new, compact laptop while looking cool sipping peppermint latte's.

The new 30/5 VDSL service has been much more reliable with far fewer dropouts than before.  The speed difference from my previous 10/5 ADSL is noticeable but not dramatic. Pages, especially those with lots of adds do load faster.   Kodi, which I run off of Windows is very much improved, especially on weekend nights which used to be unwatchable.

Edited by dddave

Ac

20 minutes ago, muratremix said:

Amazing! OP can expect western service standards in Thailand!

IMHO, western standards in Thailand would be a downgrade.  

I recently returned from three months in the US and had occasion to deal with CS for Comcast, AT&T,  Best Buy, Social Security and whatever the current lovely green name is for the electrical power monopoly in Boston is.

Thailand CS reps may have their moments but they are mere amateurs,  minor league'rs in comparison to the unparalleled skills of obfuscation, dissimulation, deceitfullnes and utter brainlessnes of their American counterparts.

9 minutes ago, dddave said:

Ac

IMHO, western standards in Thailand would be a downgrade.  

I recently returned from three months in the US and had occasion to deal with CS for Comcast, AT&T,  Best Buy, Social Security and whatever the current lovely green name is for the electrical power monopoly in Boston is.

Thailand CS reps may have their moments but they are mere amateurs,  minor league'rs in comparison to the unparalleled skills of obfuscation, dissimulation, deceitfullnes and utter brainlessnes of their American counterparts.

US is an exemption to "western".

You put up with Trump, remember?

By western, I mean other western civilizations with universal healthcare, human rights (no death penalty), social benefits, rule of law etc etc.

US is way behind of internet speed and pricing compared to Europe.

In order to live in Thailand peacefully, you need to lower your expectations to zero.

Wow.  It's stunning to hear SO MANY reports of what True is doing.  This issue seems worthy of some more government intervention, like the  government involvement in getting True to pay restitution for dropping so many cable channels.

2 hours ago, wpcoe said:

Wow.  It's stunning to hear SO MANY reports of what True is doing.  This issue seems worthy of some more government intervention, like the  government involvement in getting True to pay restitution for dropping so many cable channels.

Actually cutting off of internet connection without warning and with a considerable delay in replacing service is a serious issue. It could cost me personally a lot of money as I am invested in stockmarkets- some at critical junctures. As for using mobile phone comnection, that might be a workaround but TRUE should not assume that is an available option for subscribers.

17 hours ago, muratremix said:

Amazing! OP can expect western service standards in Thailand!

I have actually sat in meetings with TRUE senior management when the topic of service level provisions has come up, so I probably have a better idea than you as to what service levels they are claiming to aim to provide and also the difficulties they face in trying to provide that level of service. I have had excellent service from TRUE in the past and maintain my account with them for this reason amongst others. This however is maybe too much, might be a dealbreaker on that.

That said, "In order to live in Thailand peacefully, you need to lower your expectations to zero." is sound advice - I have to demand certain levels of service from brokers and ISP's but am not expecting Thai companies serving primarily the Thai market to understand my expectations and don't stress myself trying to get it. I actually over 20+ years have learned that minimising my dependance on Thais to the point of cleaning my own apartment works best for me (have had maids). There is nothing in the way of complain in this, It is their country and they are how they are, and I am not asking or expecting them to change.

4 hours ago, mokwit said:

OK, TRUE Called back Wed and said someone would be here before 5 to install Fibre - seems they are using tactics for slotting in appointments when most suitable for them

Lucky you. 

I called True today and they appear to have cancelled my account despite me paying my bill on time even with no service. The girl finally found me using my mobile number and said i have been put on a monitoring list and should get dealt with within 7 days.

I'm guessing it's just 7 days since the last time they sent someone out since i have been without internet since 23 February.

No end in sight. Might be a call to 3BB if this next 7 day delay doesn't provide a satisfactory solution however i don't just want to end up in another queue but for a different company.

Wow, I too am shocked that this has happened to so many people.  To be fair, they were quite reliable over the last several years of using them. But 13mb doesn't cut it for me any more.

For me it's been 8 days, 5 since they last contacted me and still no True.  Good thing I signed up with SInet.  So far so good here on VDSL2.

• 2 weeks later...

My ADSL was cut yesterday morning. I had been given some notice, (not that they would cut it), but that they were offering a new fibre optic cable service, "now available in my condo". Unfortunately our building doesn't have fibre optic cable, which I explained to True the first time they came here about 3 months ago. The fixed the ADSL signal. Then the service had a disruption about 2 weeks ago, and again a couple of scruffs turned up to install fibre optic cable for my internet. Same problem, obviously. They fixed the ADSL signal. So yesterday after an hour of so of discussion with True and with my building manager, True accepted that fibre optic cable was not possible in our building. They would however come to install a fibre cable for internet, which I could receive through a TV aerial; I already have one for my internet TV in the bedroom. But I wanted another in my home office. The only way was to install a fibre cable from the core of the building through the corridor ceiling, through my party wall, through my apartment's ceiling etc etc. So that didn't happen. I have now arranged for them to install a "repeater" in my office, which will feed off the existing fibre cable.

So yes, they are just cutting ADSL without notice of doing exactly that. I have also decided to increase the Mpbs from 18 to 30 or 50 from the existing fibre cable, hoping that will permit the transmission to be strong enough to run both TV and internet simultaneously in two different rooms of my apartment, which are separated by a further bedroom in between. Any other recommendations of what might work better will be appreciated.

I am tempted to try another service. Any suggestions?

The True CS claimed yesterday they were trying to fix the ADSL, but it would take some time, (unspecified), and so I would be better using the new fibre cable. Obviously they have no intention of fixing. I can only use this internet in the office because the signal from the bedroom's fibre cable is accessible, but 3 bars instead of 5, and download streaming in the office for torrents on my laptap is putting a strain on the whole thing. 

I expect True was really converting your building from ADSL to VDSL using the Fiber-to-the-Building (FTTB) approach which is very common.  But the internet service provider still refers to it as fiber as fiber is indeed the transmission medium except for the final X-meters...those final X-meters are via phone/DSL copper lines just like how your ADSL is delivered.  VDSL is just a faster, more advanced version of ADSL.    The building own has to agree to this because the internet service provider needs to install a rack of equipment on the ground floor/basement to terminate and convert the fiber optics signal to a VDSL signal.   If this 

For FTTB fiber optic cable is fed to the ground floor of the building where it connects to some electronics....these electrons converter the internet signal from fiber to VDSL.   And that converter feeds the phone/DSL copper lines running up the building to your residence.  If those electronics are not installed in the building they would be installed at the Curb....or a further away in a Node feeding a wider area.

True also use DOCSIS (cable) which is like a pencil shaped round TV cable...except the DOCSIS trunk line feeding your building is a TV cable on steroids...along three-quarters of an inch in diameter and able to carry very high speed internet and TV signals.   Once again, that TV cable on steroids is terminated on the ground floor where it is distributed through out the building with the standard pencil diameter size TV cable we are use to seeing connect to the back of our TVs.   True also calls the fiber "because the DOCSIS cable connects upstream to fiber optics cable....the main trunk line. 

So, when an internet service provider says "fiber" it may not be fiber all the way, every inch of the way to your residence.  It may stop just short and be convert to a different internet version such as VDSL.  

Unfortunately, since VDSL is limited to 100Mb max speed under laboratory, very good copper line conditions to include short distances, 80Mb is more realistic for a building with good wiring.  But since it can be hard to find a building with good phone/DSL copper wiring, especially is an older building, internet providers will normally limit the max speed of VDSL packages to around 50 or 75Mb although they are still calling it fiber. 

See the Fiber to the Node,  Fiber to the Curb, Fiber to the Building, Fiber to the Home image below...a.k.a., FTTX.   The distance from the residence the fiber optics stops/is converted say to VDSL (or even ADSL) is what determines the last Letter in the abbreviation.  Only Fiber to the Home is fiber all the way to the router which will be a fiber optics router....the fiber optics terminates right in the router.

Capture.JPG

Edited by Pib

Wow! Can we hire you to sort out or building's requirements?!

You certainly seem to know what you're talking about. I don't, and trying to relay these issues through the building manager, True, myself, the construction logistics (as in internal lines etc) is a Gilbert & Sullivan production. This afternoon's (dress rehearsal performance) of phones being passed between my building's technician, the True sub-contractor the building manager (away at Savill's for a meeting) was as  exhausting as it was comical.

Edited by samtam

True came and installed the fibre optic - they were able to use an old 2001 vintage UBC cable - so it seems what I really have is a cable modem - weren't those phased out in favour of the better ADSL?

Would be interested if AIS also uses the pencil thick cable i.e. same or different?