Survey shows one in three female commuters of public transport has experience with sexual harassments

webfact

Survey shows one in three female commuters of public transport has experience with sexual harassments

0803005-harassment.jpg

BANGKOK: -- One in three female commuters of public transport has experience with sexual harassments while using public transport, according to a survey conducted by Safe Cities for Women Network.

Altogether 1,500 women were sampled during September-October period last year with the survey result to be made public to coincide with the International Women’s Day on Wednesday.

In summation, the survey showed that one in three women who used public transport such as bus, motorcycle taxi, taxi, high-speed train or passenger van had encountered sexual harassments in different forms such as verbal, visual, eye or body contact.

According to the survey, buses ranked top with the highest incidence of sexual harassments, followed by motorcycle taxis, taxis, electric trains and passenger vans. When asked about the situations women felt most vulnerable to sexual harassments, 26 percent said they felt unsafe walking alone in soi; 25 percent said walking at night or before dawn; 16 percent said while riding alone in a taxi; 13.5 percent said riding on a bus, a passenger van or train.

The most common form of sexual harassments was verbal harassment, 26 percent; whistling, 18 percent; eye-contact, 18 percent; body contact, 17 percent; exhibitionism, 7 percent.

Full story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/survey-shows-one-three-female-commuters-public-transport-experience-sexual-harassments/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2017-03-09

Eye contact and whistling is sexual harassment? Well, I never knew that. I'm a male farang and people look at me on the bus, train and in the taxi!

Not many if any have whistled at me but everyday they look. Am I being sexually harrased? No, of course not. What is the world coming to if you can't look at a beautiful woman?

"Sorry officer, I just couldn't stop staring at her. I don't know what's wrong with me, yes I know, I need therapy"

2 hours ago, theguyfromanotherforum said:

Is it a sexual harassment if I go for massage and they try to upsell a handjob?

Only if they have you by the balls before the negotiation commences. This would be considered being placed in a position with no option other than being taken advantage of.

Edited by Reigntax

2 hours ago, Wilsonandson said:

Eye contact and whistling is sexual harassment? Well, I never knew that. I'm a male farang and people look at me on the bus, train and in the taxi!

Not many if any have whistled at me but everyday they look. Am I being sexually harrased? No, of course not. What is the world coming to if you can't look at a beautiful woman?

"Sorry officer, I just couldn't stop staring at her. I don't know what's wrong with me, yes I know, I need therapy"

If you are staring and making someone uncomfortable, then yes you are in the wrong.

Likewise whistling at someone.

1 hour ago, Bluespunk said:

If you are staring and making someone uncomfortable, then yes you are in the wrong.

Likewise whistling at someone.

no, the criterion should not be "if you make someone uncomfortable" - this is the same BS as "you hurt my feelings" or whatever.

there should be a clear limit that is independent of the other person's feelings, there are too many nutcases out there: "I didn't like the way he looked at me"

8 minutes ago, manarak said:

no, the criterion should not be "if you make someone uncomfortable" - this is the same BS as "you hurt my feelings" or whatever.

there should be a clear limit that is independent of the other person's feelings, there are too many nutcases out there: "I didn't like the way he looked at me"

Nonsense.

If someone is staring at you, it can be intimidating and is generally the intent of the person staring.

The fact is, nutcases do stare.

25 minutes ago, jvs said:

Do they have to be women?Maybe they have to come up with some unisex image?

I'm not saying they have to be women.

I just don't see the issue if they are.

Edited by Bluespunk

1 hour ago, Bluespunk said:

Why is the Melbourne action wrong?

Do they have to be men?

As several have commented, why is there an assumption that a person not wearing a skirt must be a man?  Isn't that sexist?

There is eye contact ..... and then there is eye contact.

The first is done discretely and tentatively, so as not to embarrass the woman, and is curtailed immediately if she doesn't respond in a positive manner.

The second is staring, watching, 'eyeing up'.  It intrudes into her personal space and can make her feel very uncomfortable.

Judging by some of the eye contact that I see western guys doing on the Skytrain/MRT with Thai women, these guys have no clue about the difference in the above 2 strategies

47 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

I'm not saying they have to be women.

I just don't see the issue if they are.

I think you are deliberately missing the point :smile:. Presumably they have replaced the ones that had been in use for years which I doubt anyone (unless a pc nihilist) had any issues with so why change.......... 

1 hour ago, topt said:

I think you are deliberately missing the point :smile:. Presumably they have replaced the ones that had been in use for years which I doubt anyone (unless a pc nihilist) had any issues with so why change.......... 

Because it was International Women's day...

My wife got approached/hit on at BigC Korat last week, by a gaggle of young US Military dudes in town for the exercises.  Said she laughed, flashed her ring and responded in good English that's she married..... to a retired US Military guy no less....sorry boys, you missed the boat on this one, plenty more out there.  LOL. 

And I'm quite sure the mere attempt made her feel good too.  :biggrin:

3 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

Equality is not ridiculous.

Being against it on the other hand...

Being able to put forward a coherent case for it, rather than a knee-jerk tirade against anything designed to bring about a fairer society, is far from stupid.

I don't want to jump into your lovely argument, but I do think it is stretching it to suggest that steven100 was suggesting that equality is ridiculous.

Though perhaps not laid out entirely logically, I think it is clear that he was saying that the expense of replacing crossing lights portraying sexually ambiguous figures who might be naked or wearing trousers with figures who are presumably intended to represent females or Scotsmen in the name of "equality" is ridiculous.  I would tend to agree with him

Once, on a crowed subway in New York city, a woman asked me if I was staring at her...because I was ..sort of.... as she was very pretty and standing less than 2 feet away while we were more or less face to face 

I could see that everyone around us, including many other women, who clearly heard the woman ask the somewhat confrontational question, were waiting in anticipation for me to react or reply...... or not reply.

I thought for a second or 2 and then I smiled and responded by saying : "No.....not at all......Rather I am simply enjoying the near presence of your femininity" ...said clearly and said with slight emphasis   

I must have said the right thing because the woman rolled her eyes up and laughed a little and shook her head a bit while one nearby Black women started to slowly clap her hands in applause and I heard another woman somewhere behind me say: "Good line"..."Good line"

Actually it was not meant as a line while what I said was spontaneous and meaning to diffuse the awkward situation.

Long story short, I ended up having a funny conversation with the woman as I further said:  Well Mam, that is the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth......

She said she thought it funny that I referred to her as "a Mam", so I said : "As I do not know your name, then it is either Mam or Miss or Missus...so up to you and you choose how you would like to be formally addressed...lol...... and the conversation carried on from there with about 30 or more people watching us and listening to use with amusement as we interacted........

Anyhow.....we got off at the same stop with some of the other passengers saying: "Good luck"   and "I hope it works out"  and silly but encouraging comments like that.....

I invited her for a coffee and we ended up talking at length and we became "good friends"  after several dates.

After that, I liked the subway in New York and thought of the subway system as another excellent place to meet women...lol

Cheers    

Edited by gemguy