Israel moves to mute mosques' call to prayer over loudspeakers

webfact

10 hours ago, sanemax said:

They should get alarm clocks with the calls to prayer as a bell

If everyone gets one, there would be no need to the Mosques to call everyone

Better still to have no mosques at all....

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

28 minutes ago, blazes said:

...and better have  no synagogues, churches and other religious facilities at all too. none of them.

ban all religious sound pollution for once and for all and keep it nice and fair for everyone.

52 minutes ago, blazes said:

That sounds very intolerant to me. I believe in full freedom of religion including full freedom of no religion. Obviously if religious practices conflict with laws of a nation, such as Haitian animal sacrifice ceremonies, then restrictive laws are reasonable in some cases.

Other times, restrictive laws are not reasonable but still within the rights of any sovereign nation, no matter how distasteful. For example, a Filipino friend of mine had flown into Saudi Arabia as a contract worker holding a Catholic symbol and it was taken away and he was beaten. Legal there but objectively horrible. 

In the context of Israel, Muslim Israelis and other religious minorities have religious freedom and that's a good thing. A trivial regulation about muting calls to prayer doesn't stop people from practicing Islam. Get real! 

There are over 50 Islamic majority nations in the world. There is only ONE Jewish majority nation, and that is Israel. I realize many intolerant people are obsessed with being bothered that there is even that ONE Jewish majority nation. Well, too bad about that.

Edited by Jingthing

38 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

That sounds very intolerant to me. I believe in full freedom of religion including full freedom of no religion. Obviously if religious practices conflict with laws of a nation, such as Haitian animal sacrifice ceremonies, then restrictive laws are reasonable in some cases.

Other times, restrictive laws are not reasonable but still within the rights of any sovereign nation, no matter how distasteful. For example, a Filipino friend of mine had flown into Saudi Arabia as a contract worker holding a Catholic symbol and it was taken away and he was beaten. Legal there but objectively horrible. 

In the context of Israel, Muslim Israelis and other religious minorities have religious freedom and that's a good thing. A trivial regulation about muting calls to prayer doesn't stop people from practicing Islam. Get real! 

There are over 50 Islamic majority nations in the world. There is only ONE Jewish majority nation, and that is Israel. I realize many intolerant people are obsessed with being bothered that there is even that ONE Jewish majority nation. Well, too bad about that.

Yes, it is indeed intolerant, but you see, while Islam excludes the Christian religion in Saudi Arabia, I will continue to celebrate my intolerance.  When Saudi allows construction of Christian churches (or, God help us!) synagogues, then and only then will I cease to be intolerant of Islam and will welcome all Moslems into my community.

But until then, I think, trumpily, that we must keep a careful eye and a blocked ear on their goings-on.

1 hour ago, dexterm said:

The Muslims have been there for centuries. It's actually the Israelis who invaded East Jerusalem in 1967,

The JewishTemple of David im East Jeruslam was built 500 or so years, before Islam became a Religion

One inflammatory post has been removed along with replies.

I am not a fan of the call to prayer, or Thai villages announcing everything, or the public playing of the national anthem etc., but the call to prayer is a little like the bell in a school; it not only reminds people of what they are suppose to do, but it also allows everyone around to see who is not reacting.  

Yes, it is indeed intolerant, but you see, while Islam excludes the Christian religion in Saudi Arabia, I will continue to celebrate my intolerance.  When Saudi allows construction of Christian churches (or, God help us!) synagogues, then and only then will I cease to be intolerant of Islam and will welcome all Moslems into my community.

But until then, I think, trumpily, that we must keep a careful eye and a blocked ear on their goings-on.

I like an Israel that is better on things like religious freedom than Saudi Arabia.

The call to prayer was necessary back in the day because no one had watches. Now with

wrist watches and cellphones, combined with alarm clocks it makes the call redundant. If

you must have a call you prayer out of tradition, there should be no  electronics involved.

Just my opinion.

I think it's great! Practice any religion you want but don't make other people suffer because of what you believe. Singapore did the same thing with the mosques/minarets many years ago.

I don't do anything to annoy/offend muslims, please don't annoy me by waking me up with your "call to prayers", buy a watch!

I think it's great! Practice any religion you want but don't make other people suffer because of what you believe. Singapore did the same thing with the mosques/minarets many years ago.

I don't do anything to annoy/offend muslims, please don't annoy me by waking me up with your "call to prayers", buy a watch!

General readers of the forum may think this is just a simple tale of noise pollution.
But it is actually far more complex than that.

It is in fact dog whistle racism/religionism.

The sponsors of this bill are extreme right wing Jewish religious fanatics who are more concerned with sticking it to their Muslim neighbors than simple noise pollution. 

"Opponents say the legislation, sponsored by right-wing parties, impinges on the religious freedom of Israel's Muslim minority." The OP is incorrect: The majority of people living in East Jerusalem are Muslim not Jewish.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/East_Jerusalem

So in fact it is a minority of Jews (who have migrated there snce 1967) imposing their will on a majority of Muslims. It is part of the continuing attempted Judaification of Jerusalem by Jewish fanatics emboldened in this and other similar legislation by the new Israel friendly rubber stamp in the White House.

You are all being taken for a ride if you think this is simply a noise pollution issue. There are more sinister forces at work here.

"But this bill isn’t motivated by liberal secular ideals or concern for the sensitive ears and quality of life of the mosques’ neighbors. The bill was submitted by Knesset members from the extreme right and is supported by Likud and Kulanu officials as part of the government’s war against Arab Muslims.

From the bill’s original wording, which also calls for “preventing houses of worship from being used for incitement and nationalist expressions,” and from the identity of the bill’s sponsors, one can conclude that this is another step in the effort to dictate to Muslims the Jewish state’s boundaries for “tolerable Muslim noise.”  

http://www.haaretz.com/opinion/1.753355

Oh and the quality of the call!!!

a few mullahs sound quite melodic and sound quite eerie but pleasant coming in the half dark,

But most sound like starving buzzards looking for a meal

Edited by Patong2

Entirely reasonable!:partytime2:

http://www.jpost.com/Middle-East/Jordan-Israels-muezzin-bill-is-a-violation-of-intl-law-483676?utm_source=spotim&utm_medium=spotim_recirculation&spotim_referrer=recirculation

As the current bill dictates, any "house of prayer" (synagogues, churches and mosques) would come under the law. A softer version of the bill, proposed by MK Moti Yogev (Bayit Yehudi) suggests that the the bill would forbid the use of outdoor speakers to sound the call for prayer in residential areas from 11 p.m. to 7 a.m.

General readers of the forum may think this is just a simple tale of noise pollution.
But it is actually far more complex than that.

It is in fact dog whistle racism/religionism.

The sponsors of this bill are extreme right wing Jewish religious fanatics who are more concerned with sticking it to their Muslim neighbors than simple noise pollution. 

"Opponents say the legislation, sponsored by right-wing parties, impinges on the religious freedom of Israel's Muslim minority." The OP is incorrect: The majority of people living in East Jerusalem are Muslim not Jewish.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/East_Jerusalem

So in fact it is a minority of Jews (who have migrated there snce 1967) imposing their will on a majority of Muslims. It is part of the continuing attempted Judaification of Jerusalem by Jewish fanatics emboldened in this and other similar legislation by the new Israel friendly rubber stamp in the White House.

You are all being taken for a ride if you think this is simply a noise pollution issue. There are more sinister forces at work here.

"But this bill isn’t motivated by liberal secular ideals or concern for the sensitive ears and quality of life of the mosques’ neighbors. The bill was submitted by Knesset members from the extreme right and is supported by Likud and Kulanu officials as part of the government’s war against Arab Muslims.
From the bill’s original wording, which also calls for “preventing houses of worship from being used for incitement and nationalist expressions,” and from the identity of the bill’s sponsors, one can conclude that this is another step in the effort to dictate to Muslims the Jewish state’s boundaries for “tolerable Muslim noise.”  
http://www.haaretz.com/opinion/1.753355

I agree the law is motivated by racism and initiated by the extremists in Israel. And yes, it inflames an already volatile situation. But that does not mean the proposals are bad.

sent using Tapatalk

I spent a few days in Jerusalem.  It's a very strange city.  Multiple religions claim stake to it and none of them really get along.  Nor really like each other.  Security is crazy.  Everything felt on edge to me.  I didn't like it.  Too many religions fanatics.

16 hours ago, Galactus said:

it is not about an alarm. it is a tradition. same as bells in the church.  so do Christians have no mental faculties to set their own alarms?

This is about arrogance. Loud speakers are fine in a community that welcomes it. But when the community includes people who are getting the best part of their sleep at 5 AM, the loudspeakers are completely inappropriate. This is rude and insensitive behavior and they know it.

You cite Christian church bells. For one thing not many churches have bells these days, and for another you would be hard pressed to find a place ringing bells at 5 AM daily. You might get a few around 9 or 10 AM on a Sunday and I can assure you that if people put up a strong protest those bells would stop too and no one would say a word about discrimination.  Because other religions (in the modern age) find ways to work within a community, not change it to suit their own worldview.

Islam could do itself a massive PR favor by agreeing the the 5 AM stuff is not a community friendly activity and voluntarily omit the loud speakers for 5 AM.

But this is an abrasive ideology and they are fully convinced of a divine right to force the Kafir to submit.

5 minutes ago, canuckamuck said:

This is about arrogance. Loud speakers are fine in a community that welcomes it. But when the community includes people who are getting the best part of their sleep at 5 AM, the loudspeakers are completely inappropriate. This is rude and insensitive behavior and they know it.

You cite Christian church bells. For one thing not many churches have bells these days, and for another you would be hard pressed to find a place ringing bells at 5 AM daily. You might get a few around 9 or 10 AM on a Sunday and I can assure you that if people put up a strong protest those bells would stop too and no one would say a word about discrimination.  Because other religions (in the modern age) find ways to work within a community, not change it to suit their own worldview.

Islam could do itself a massive PR favor by agreeing the the 5 AM stuff is not a community friendly activity and voluntarily omit the loud speakers for 5 AM.

But this is an abrasive ideology and they are fully convinced of a divine right to force the Kafir to submit.

I spent many a night near a church that rang it's bells every hour.  At 5 am, it's 5 rings.  Some do a single one at half past also.  This is mainly in Europe.  But nowhere near as bad as being next to a mosque at 5am! LOL

14 minutes ago, craigt3365 said:

I spent many a night near a church that rang it's bells every hour.  At 5 am, it's 5 rings.  Some do a single one at half past also.  This is mainly in Europe.  But nowhere near as bad as being next to a mosque at 5am! LOL

Ok I have never been to Europe, I though it was clock towers that did that.  I am sure that the percentage of churches that do do this is very small though and in concert with the community opinion.

I wish Thailand would mute Buddhist wat loudspeakers.  It even goes across int'l boundaries.  I stayed in a Burmese border town, a few days ago, and a man's droning voice was broadcast VERY LOUDLY, from loudspeakers situated in Thailand.   It started early in the morning and went on for at least 40 minutes.  It's as rude as sitting on someone's face and farting.  It's assault.

59 minutes ago, canuckamuck said:

Ok I have never been to Europe, I though it was clock towers that did that.  I am sure that the percentage of churches that do do this is very small though and in concert with the community opinion.

Pretty much every small town in Europe has a church with a clock tower that rings!  I've spent a long time roaming around these smaller villages.  Lots of churches!  And very religious people.

P.S. old churches are one of my passions.  I love them. 

52 minutes ago, craigt3365 said:

Pretty much every small town in Europe has a church with a clock tower that rings!  I've spent a long time roaming around these smaller villages.  Lots of churches!  And very religious people.

P.S. old churches are one of my passions.  I love them. 

OK I didn't know. How do the communities feel about these bells, and is it a religious thing or is it more just village tradition?  Does it really compare to a loudspeaker broadcasting a loud human voice?