I have a holiday booked on Ko Chang for six days and so went to Jomtien immigration to find out about TM 30 as its a new one on me.  They are serious about this and have an office dedicated to reporting you are  back home. They were very busy so i dident find out if i can report or if my wife as house owner has to do it. I have had the same address for twelve years but do like to take my family to the islands two or three times a year when my sons school is closed. But the traffic and road works in pattaya  makes this a nightmare and it seems never ending. I live on the dark side by choice but i used to get to immigration in thirty minuets but now it can take well over an hour both ways  and more at peak times. What comes next i wonder ?????

TM30 is only when you travel abroad. The hotel however may do this for you anyway and the address record may get screwed up. Normally that would be covered by a TM28.

Better to let your wife/GF/whatever check in for you and stay in the background. Or use a driver license or pink ID, not your passport, so you have.

They will not expect a TM30 form unless you leave and re-enter the country. Trips within the country do not require it to be done.

If you are on an extension of stay you may never be asked for one from some reports on the various topics about Jomtien.

3 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

They will not expect a TM30 form unless you leave and re-enter the country. Trips within the country do not require it to be done.

I don't see that as being correct. If I decide to go to, let's say, Pattaya for a week. I have to book into an hotel whilst there. The hotel reports me as staying so that negates my landlady's TM30 reporting of me at her address up in Nakhon Nowhere. I cannot be resident in 2 locations at the same time.

On returning to Nakhon Nowhere my landlady is obliged to re submit a new TM30 to stay legal. That's my take. It's irrespective of whether one leaves the country or not. It's about reporting a farang staying at a Thais residence. At the moment there seems to be different interpretations. My missus got charged 500 Baht for registering me last week. A total scam .

Edited by sinbin

12 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

If you are on an extension of stay you may never be asked for one from some reports on the various topics about Jomtien.

The idea is that hotels who dont inform immigration of your  stay will be caught and investigated as has been happening .Lots of hotels without a licence caught and closed. Plus lots of house owners (wifes) fined for not reporting the return of husband to home address ,500bht i believe, So on my return i will head to immigration within the 24 hour deadline with my tm30 and find out for sure. best to be safe than sorry and we are only here as long as an immigration officer allows us to be regardless of the rules and laws.

10 hours ago, sinbin said:

I don't see that as being correct. If I decide to go to, let's say, Pattaya for a week. I have to book into an hotel whilst there. The hotel reports me as staying so that negates my landlady's TM30 reporting of me at her address up in Nakhon Nowhere. I cannot be resident in 2 locations at the same time.

On returning to Nakhon Nowhere my landlady is obliged to re submit a new TM30 to stay legal. That's my take. It's irrespective of whether one leaves the country or not. It's about reporting a farang staying at a Thais residence. At the moment there seems to be different interpretations. My missus got charged 500 Baht for registering me last week. A total scam .

I just wrote what a correct interpretation of the immigration act is and how most offices handle it. Even Pattaya has told some people it is that way.

Unless you are using a pedant immigration office they will never know you stayed in a hotel unless they search the database where hotel reporting is kept.

Many offices don't want a report unless you change addresses.

3 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

I just wrote what a correct interpretation of the immigration act is and how most offices handle it.

Correct being your interpretation. Most isn't all. So to stay legal I think my interpretation is correct to guarantee staying legal at all offices. It's still early days and like most/all Thailand rules/laws they're written deliberately to be open to interpretation. Their interpretation.

Edited by sinbin

3 hours ago, james6 said:

So on my return i will head to immigration within the 24 hour deadline with my tm30 and find out for sure.

You do not need to go. Your wife, landlord, fills out the TM30 and submits it.

This big cock up is their fault for allowing the 'report of farang staying' to not being enforced. It's been law since 1979 and since 2005 for commercial accommodation owners. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Edited by sinbin

• 3 weeks later...

My experience today submitting TM 30 at Jomtein. I returned from a short trip to the Philippines yesterday, went to submit a new TM 30 today and the officer told me that i didnt need to submit a new TM 30 because i only left for a short time. She did replace the old report slip in my passport with my new one, but told me if i only go out for less than 1 month, i do not need to report again because i was returning to the same address and was only gone for a short time. I didnt ask too many questions as to why, only said ok and thank you. 

Im on a multi tourist visa, have a house, always submitted TM30 on every return from traveling out of the country. I guess the flood of paperwork per the law is becoming overwelming for them and they're starting to use common sense...evolution has begun!

• Like 1