Double Parallel parking a Ford Fiesta automatic

As we all know double parallel parking is very common here in Thailand and becoming ever-more essential as more cars hit the roads and parking spaces are at a premium.

I own a Ford Fiesta S with automatic transmission and in order to park it one has to engage 'P' park else you can't remove the ignition key - probably a US safety requirement despite my Ford being assembled in Thailand.

Once the key is removed there is no way to shift to 'N' neutral which one has to do if you are double parking, with the handbrake off so that it can be rolled out of the way if you're blocking another car parked inside your's. In 'P' park the car is effectively immovable by normal pushing.

Question: I believe there is a way to overcome this 'safety' feature and thereby engage 'N' neutral after parking my Ford Fiesta S for double parking. Anyone know how I can do this?

My car handbook is only in Thai and Ford here tell me they  'no have' an English language version!

Help!!

Edited by aslimversgwm
incorrect terminology used

1 minute ago, transam said:

Nooooo, those who double park are......You ever think about a bird trying to move your ride.......Gawd..........To lazy to find a space and walk.........

I used to stay in a small condo that had tight parking areas, so that cars were often blocked in, it was acceptable to do that, what wasn't acceptable was to leave your car in gear so that it couldn't be moved, effectively blocking in the car behind.

I know that in some car parks, once they are full, patrons are usually guided by parking attendants to park in front of those already parked, leave the vehicle in Neutral so it can be rolled out of the way should someone wish to vacate their parking space. 

Now to your question: Surely if you park your car, select 'P' remove key, then select 'N' this should work.

1 minute ago, Golden Triangle said:

I know that in some car parks, once they are full, patrons are usually guided by parking attendants to park in front of those already parked, leave the vehicle in Neutral so it can be rolled out of the way should someone wish to vacate their parking space. 

Now to your question: Surely if you park your car, select 'P' remove key, then select 'N' this should work.

As I said in my OP : you can't do this in a Ford Fiesta once the ignition keys are removed 'P' is locked - there is no obvious way to shift it to 'N' but I think there is an override somewhere, somehow. that's my question: how to override the 'P' lock.

6 minutes ago, aslimversgwm said:

As I said in my OP : you can't do this in a Ford Fiesta once the ignition keys are removed 'P' is locked - there is no obvious way to shift it to 'N' but I think there is an override somewhere, somehow. that's my question: how to override the 'P' lock.

Do you have a shift lock button? I have a Fortuner and the shift lock is located just above the 'P'

Failing that, take it to your Ford dealer and ask them to show you. Any automatic I have ever had has been able to move the gear selector.

Edited by Golden Triangle
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Golden Triangle said:

Do you have a shift lock button? I have a Fortuner and the shift lock is located just above the 'P'

I'll have look - never noticed one! There is a small covered, kinda hatch to the right of the shift lever but not easily opened. Perhaps the switch is inside this hatch?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, aslimversgwm said:

I'll have look - never noticed one! There is a small covered, kinda hatch to the right of the shift lever but not easily opened. Perhaps the switch is inside this hatch?

Just checked - there is a button on the RH side of the shift lever but pressing it makes a clicking noise but nothing else - the shift is still locked in 'P' until keys are put back in the ignition.

Prising off the little hatch thingy on the base to the right of shift reveals nothing but a white strip and pressing that does nowt!

4 minutes ago, stevenl said:

most helpful Steven but what a pain to have to lever off 2 covers to get at that red thingy! Geese! Obviously double parking in the US or UK is frowned upon but heh! T.I.T.! and it's common practice here as we old-timers know!

1 minute ago, aslimversgwm said:

most helpful Steven but what a pain to have to lever off 2 covers to get at that red thingy! Geese! Obviously double parking in the US or UK is frowned upon but heh! T.I.T.! and it's common practice here as we old-timers know!

Ford got something right..........Hey, buy a manual trans next time....you will fit in well..:saai:

Just now, aslimversgwm said:

As my dear departed mum would say: 'what a nasty piece of work he is'!

Fits you sir!

I am one that had to push FOUR rides out of the way because they were lazy to get a REAL parking space.........Folk like you piss me off, lazy......

If your MUM was blocked in by lazy folk. WHAT would you say....???

13 minutes ago, aslimversgwm said:

BMW and Mercedes have the same issue, the Neutral position is locked once the key is removed. That is why you never see these cars in the double parking lane. Just learn to live with it and find or pay for a parking spot.

Edited by ExpatOilWorker
  • Like 1

With the EcoBoost my wife tells me that it is easy

Stop the engine ...immediately put your foot onto the footbrake and then shift to N.  Apparently you only have 2-3 seconds to do this after pressing the STOP Button.

I have the manual as a pdf ...it's 33Mbs ... if I can find where I got it from I'll post 

PS if you google for the manual you will find a lot of pdfs  ... Ford Fiesta Manual pdf

Edited by JAS21

56 minutes ago, transam said:

I am one that had to push FOUR rides out of the way because they were lazy to get a REAL parking space.........Folk like you piss me off, lazy......

If your MUM was blocked in by lazy folk. WHAT would you say....???

Very unfortunate - but you're obviously a fit young man.

I'm 73 yo and not that fit and in any case when I visit my local hospital Sriphat here in CM double parking is a necessity as the 8 story car park provided is often full and there are no alternative parking places - on-road parking is totally prohibited in that area.

This is just one example - your suggestion that we're lazy is absurd and untrue.

You can't live in CM for sure.

1 hour ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

BMW and Mercedes have the same issue, the Neutral position is locked once the key is removed. That is why you never see these cars in the double parking lane. Just learn to live with it and find or pay for a parking spot.

Do you live in CM? If you do, do you ever go to Sriphat hospital and try finding a parking spot in the fairly new 8 story car park provided? At peak times this is near impossible without double parking - all the Thais have to do it - most are staff at the hospital as the hospital grounds are all reserved for doctors and senior staff. I'm 73 yo and not that fit - hence my hospital visits so suggesting I walk miles from the nearest alternative is ridiculous, and that's just one example. Thank goodness the likes of Toyota, Nissan, Honda and Mazda allow neutral engagement whilst parked or parking would be an even bigger nightmare.

2 minutes ago, aslimversgwm said:

Very unfortunate - but you're obviously a fit young man.

I'm 73 yo and not that fit and in any case when I visit my local hospital Sriphat here in CM double parking is a necessity as the 8 story car park provided is often full and there are no alternative parking places - on-road parking is totally prohibited in that area.

This is just one example - your suggestion that we're lazy is absurd and untrue.

You can't live in CM for sure.

No I ain't young and I do not want to live in CM.......If you have a big parking problem that you know about....Get a taxi after parking up....

Does your insurance company let you double park in free wheel and cover you...?

If someone pushes your ride into another are you covered...?

If a kid with no license crashes into your illegally parked ride are you covered....?

Will you piss me off if you have hemmed me in...?

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, JAS21 said:

With the EcoBoost my wife tells me that it is easy

Stop the engine ...immediately put your foot onto the footbrake and then shift to N.  Apparently you only have 2-3 seconds to do this after pressing the STOP Button.

I have the manual as a pdf ...it's 33Mbs ... if I can find where I got it from I'll post 

PS if you google for the manual you will find a lot of pdfs  ... Ford Fiesta Manual pdf

and then can you remove the ignition key? I don't think so! Hence my OP.

2 minutes ago, transam said:

No I ain't young and I do not want to live in CM.......If you have a big parking problem that you know about....Get a taxi after parking up....

Does your insurance company let you double park in free wheel and cover you...?

If someone pushes your ride into another are you covered...?

If a kid with no license crashes into your illegally parked ride are you covered....?

Will you piss me off if you have hemmed me in...?

It is not illegal to double park in Thailand at manned parking lots or car parks, which is what I'm referring to, where there are parking attendants who will move the cars for you and your 'bird' as you referred to a lady friend earlier. I do so hope I can 'pen you in' one day and you won't be able to move my car 'cause you haven't answered my question in the OP: how do you put a Ford Fiesta S in to neutral once the keys removed form the ignition!

Do take care and please stay away from CM.

6 minutes ago, aslimversgwm said:

It is not illegal to double park in Thailand at manned parking lots or car parks, which is what I'm referring to, where there are parking attendants who will move the cars for you and your 'bird' as you referred to a lady friend earlier. I do so hope I can 'pen you in' one day and you won't be able to move my car 'cause you haven't answered my question in the OP: how do you put a Ford Fiesta S in to neutral once the keys removed form the ignition!

So you ain't double parking on the street...Cooooool

If you had asked how to put your ride in neutral without the double parking thing l would of helped.....:stoner:

1 hour ago, aslimversgwm said:

Do you live in CM? If you do, do you ever go to Sriphat hospital and try finding a parking spot in the fairly new 8 story car park provided? At peak times this is near impossible without double parking - all the Thais have to do it - most are staff at the hospital as the hospital grounds are all reserved for doctors and senior staff. I'm 73 yo and not that fit - hence my hospital visits so suggesting I walk miles from the nearest alternative is ridiculous, and that's just one example. Thank goodness the likes of Toyota, Nissan, Honda and Mazda allow neutral engagement whilst parked or parking would be an even bigger nightmare.

Use valet parking (if they have it) or Uber.

I have a floor-jack so I can move your car it it is in park, and I'll try to leave it so you can't get out.

Ask the dealer

Hell fire guys ... it's standard practice in The Malls. There are 'marked lanes' to park across the front of other vehicles. Also often 'helpers' to push your car, or other cars back and forth.

Same as at Impact/Challenger/JJ Railway station car park etc etc

Judging by comments not the same everywhere though.

When we had the BMW what a pain to try and find a parking stop sometimes.

My experience is that people are careful when moving cars parked in 'N'.

• Like 1