Double Parallel parking a Ford Fiesta automatic

Hell fire guys ... it's standard practice in The Malls. There are 'marked lanes' to park across the front of other vehicles. Also often 'helpers' to push your car, or other cars back and forth.

Same as at Impact/Challenger/JJ Railway station car park etc etc

Judging by comments not the same everywhere though.

When we had the BMW what a pain to try and find a parking stop sometimes.

My experience is that people are careful when moving cars parked in 'N'.

But they don't do that in America so it must be illegal everywhere around the world!
  • Like 1

Would mean damaging the car but seems fairly simple to drill a hole in the plastic to enable the red thingy to be pushed with say a chopstick. There are plenty of rubber plugs around to stick into the hole when selling the car, after of course demonstrating your mod.

Edited by VocalNeal

1 hour ago, VocalNeal said:

Would mean damaging the car but seems fairly simple to drill a hole in the plastic to enable the red thingy to be pushed with say a chopstick. There are plenty of rubber plugs around to stick into the hole when selling the car, after of course demonstrating your mod.

The solution (if it works) by patyh above would be the preferable option.

On 3/12/2017 at 11:37 PM, JaseTheBass said:

But they don't do that in America so it must be illegal everywhere around the world!

about sums up the negative responses to my OP! It is common practice here in Thailand and it IS LEGAL - if it weren't parking would be an even bigger nightmare. Not sure where the critics on here live but it quite obviously isn't in CM! Back to the OP: how do I leave my Ford Fiesta S automatic parked in neutral with the handbrake on?

1 minute ago, aslimversgwm said:

about sums up the negative responses to my OP! It is common practice here in Thailand and it IS LEGAL - if it weren't parking would be an even bigger nightmare. Not sure where the critics on here live but it quite obviously isn't in CM! Back to the OP: how do I leave my Ford Fiesta S automatic parked in neutral with the handbrake on?

You drive on the wrong side of the road too.....?

On 3/14/2017 at 8:28 AM, patyh said:

Owned a Ford Ecosport.. The option to switch to neutral when the engine is off is in your Ford Sync System Settings. 

Go to Settings, Vehicle Settings then Park Lock Option, untick it and turn off the engine, it will allows you to shift the gear to neutral when the engine is turned off. 

Hopes it helps. 

Wow! A real solution at last! Many thanks.

35 minutes ago, aslimversgwm said:

Common and accepted practice, yes; legal, no.

Handbrake on?

2 hours ago, aslimversgwm said:

Wow! A real solution at last! Many thanks.

You're welcome.. Remember to leave the handbrake down! Made the mistake of leaving the handbrake on with the car in neutral.. made some enemies at the airport. 

don't know what year your car is but you can look at these English owner manuals. I had a quick look under key and transmission. There is something called 'Mykey' which is probably what an earlier post was talking about for reprogramming the settings. They also have the same info as the video to get it in neutral in emergencies (page 88 in the Aust manual) by pulling the trans cover off.

US owner's manual

http://www.fordservicecontent.com/Ford_Content/catalog/owner_guides/ENUSA_CG3582_FCN_og_201309.pdf

Australian owner's manual (for some reason some of the year dates don't work). The Aust mdoel would be made in Thailand but may have different specs to the Thai version.

https://www.ford.com.au/owners/owner-manual/

http://www.fordservicecontent.com/Ford_Content/Catalog/owner_information/B299_MCA_CC3_English_Aus_NZ.pdf

this one for earlier models (i think not yours)

http://www.fordservicecontent.com/Ford_Content/Catalog/owner_information/WS_Fiesta_including_ECOnetic_Owners_Manual_Print_4_Aug10.pdf

Common and accepted practice, yes; legal, no.

Handbrake on?

It is absolutely legal to double park in parking lots that allow it.

Most parking lots are privately owned anyway so the "parking police" would have no jurisdiction anyway. Unless perhaps you blocked a handicap spot.

9 hours ago, mogandave said:

It is absolutely legal to double park in parking lots that allow it.

Most parking lots are privately owned anyway so the "parking police" would have no jurisdiction anyway. Unless perhaps you blocked a handicap spot.

As I said: allowed, yes; legal, no. Maybe learn the difference between the 2?

1 hour ago, stevenl said:

As I said: allowed, yes; legal, no. Maybe learn the difference between the 2?

I doubt if the police would have any jurisdiction over how cars are parked in private car parks, so legality doesn't come into it.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, giddyup said:

I doubt if the police would have any jurisdiction over how cars are parked in private car parks, so legality doesn't come into it.

Correct, but if someone pushes a ride and hurts someone with the uncontrollable vehicle then a BiB problem..

13 minutes ago, transam said:

Correct, but if someone pushes a ride and hurts someone with the uncontrollable vehicle then a BiB problem..

I think that the chances of that happening are about as low as you can get when you consider the hundreds of other hazards in Thailand.

On my Honda Jazz I have a remote to open/lock the doors, no actual key [emoji360], it has a start button.

The remote splits apart to reveal a hidden key which when inserted into flap next to gear lever enables you to select Neutral with engine stopped.

7ed2cd72d9f6100f39a05465ea178321.jpg

Probably not relevant to Ford but worth a look, I wouldn't have known how either until the Honda sales woman pointed it out !

21 minutes ago, giddyup said:

I think that the chances of that happening are about as low as you can get when you consider the hundreds of other hazards in Thailand.

But it can, once the ride is moving there is no brake control available if it runs away from them..

• 2 weeks later...

So, does anyone know what the 'shift lock release' is really  there for? It is not there to facilitate 'obstructive parking' (that term is my invention).

It's real purpose to enable you to get the shift into neutral if the battery has died and you need to move the car.

Just thought I'd mention it. :smile:

Just now, Moonlover said:

So, does anyone know what the 'shift lock release' is really  there for? It is not there to facilitate 'obstructive parking' (that term is my invention).

It's real purpose to enable you to get the shift into neutral if the battery has died and you need to move the car.

Just thought I'd mention it. :smile:

Can you move the ride in drive....?