Double Parallel parking a Ford Fiesta automatic

2 hours ago, ftpjtm said:

I am amazed that Toyota would not allow this in the new Fortuner, being from an Asian car maker and the practice of double parking being so common throughout Asia. I wonder if it can be done by changing electronic settings in a way similar to that described for the more modern Fords with keyless ignition.

Yeah, that blows, my wife has a new 'tuna and I did not realize this was an issue.

2 hours ago, mogandave said:

Yeah, that blows, my wife has a new 'tuna and I did not realize this was an issue.

She will have to learn not to double park. I never have so doesn't bother me. 

Reason is more than likely that the Tuna is sold in many countries not only Thailand.

Reason is more than likely that the Tuna is sold in many countries not only Thailand.

She doesn’t double park, if she did I would have known about the issue.

The problem is that in the event she needs to, she will not be able to.
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, fredob43 said:

Double parking is commonly used in other Asian countries, not just Thailand.

Other Toyotas are sold in many countries and do allow the auto transmission to be left in Neutral with the key out to facilitate double parking.

Edited by ftpjtm

Double parking is commonly used in other Asian countries, not just Thailand.

Other Toyotas are sold in many countries and do allow the auto transmission to be left in Neutral with the key out to facilitate double parking.

Tuna is sold in OZ they don't allow anything. If you double park you'll be towed away.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, fredob43 said:

Tuna is sold in OZ they don't allow anything. If you double park you'll be towed away.

If you compare the shift console of the US model Fiesta on the first page of this thread, with the photos of the shift console of my Thai Fiesta which I posted, you will see that Ford accommodated Thai customers while not allowing the US versions to be so easily put into Neutral with the key off. Others have said the keyless Fords sold in Thailand have a setting which will allow the same. I seriously doubt that the same settting in present in US or Australian Fords.

I'm surprised Toyota doesn't do something similar with Fortuners sold in markets where double parking is common practice (and wouldn't be surprised if there is a not so obvious way to do it).

Edited by ftpjtm

If you compare the shift console of the US model Fiesta on the first page of this thread, with the photos of the shift console of my Thai Fiesta which I posted, you will see that Ford accommodated Thai customers while not allowing the US versions to be so easily put into Neutral with the key off. Others have said the keyless Fords sold in Thailand have a setting which will allow the same. I seriously doubt that the same settting in present in US or Australian Fords.

I'm surprised Toyota doesn't do something similar with Fortuners sold in markets where double parking is common practice (and wouldn't be surprised if there is a not so obvious way to do it).

There might be a way of doing it. But as I Never double park not interested in finding out.

Much prefer the Lump to be in park with all the wheels locked solid, at least it stops peeps from pushing it away or stealing it.

The times I have seen peeps spending endless time trying to double park, just to get nearer to a door, when there are hundreds of places available with a little walk.

I'm normally parked up and in said door before they get themselves sorted.

1 hour ago, fredob43 said:

There might be a way of doing it. But as I Never double park not interested in finding out.

Much prefer the Lump to be in park with all the wheels locked solid, at least it stops peeps from pushing it away or stealing it.

The times I have seen peeps spending endless time trying to double park, just to get nearer to a door, when there are hundreds of places available with a little walk.

I'm normally parked up and in said door before they get themselves sorted.

Right answer to the problem on Tuna. First look in the Book.

On the electric key fob there is a small button slide that to one side and out pops a key. It's for opening the door if you have a flat battery.

Take said key and just above the P on the gear stick there is a slot put key in slot push down and that releases the gear stick. Take out key and the gearstick will stay in whatever position you leave it in.

But you will have to reinsert key to get the thing back in P as you cant start it till it's there.

You would have thought that after having the Lump for almost a year I would know what all the buttons a knobs do. Just shows having well over 50 of the bugger's it's read the book, don't just guess.

11 minutes ago, fredob43 said:

Take said key and just above the P on the gear stick there is a slot put key in slot push down and that releases the gear stick. Take out key and the gearstick will stay in whatever position you leave it in.

Have the same thing on my Triton.

P1050568.JPG

3 hours ago, giddyup said:

Have the same thing on my Triton.

P1050568.JPG

That says shift lock. The Tuna one is just plain IE no words, just a hole. 

You'll have to enlarge the snap. Just above the P it's the bit that looks mat black.

IMGP0018.JPG

Edited by fredob43

2 hours ago, fredob43 said:

That says shift lock. The Tuna one is just plain IE no words, just a hole. 

You'll have to enlarge the snap. Just above the P it's the bit that looks mat black.

IMGP0018.JPG

Wouldn't take a genius to work out it does the same thing.