Has Thailand Changed You?

Inspire

Well....the first time I visited Thailand was in 1985 when my UK company sent me to Pattaya for a business meeting which happened to be on a beach. Subsequent many visits were on biz to Bangkok because I focused on my work and always returned with orders. Since those days I return to LOS for pleasure but have never considered it as a retirement option, more of a bolt hole...but there's time yet for a change of heart.

22 hours ago, colinneil said:

OP you ask has Thailand changed you?

Well in my case yes, it has made me a more cynical, non trusting, bad tempered old bugger.

So it has improved you I guess is what you are saying

Edited by gandalf12

Inevitably we are drawn to people who’ve been here a similar amount of time; even more so if they are a similar age. We all want someone to relate to and compare notes with.

Really?  Not my experience!  Yeah Thailand has changed me.  I don't hang out with farang, even of similar age or who have been here similar amounts of time.  I live in a Thai village.  I think there is a farang up the valley from me, but I haven't see him for a couple of years.  Don't know him, don't care to.  There are no other farangs in the 30 k long valley that I know of.  And I like it that way.  So how have I changed?  I've De-Westernized.  When in Rome.....  :thumbsup:  I didn't come to Thailand to constantly remind myself of what I don't like about my own country.   You mileage may vary.  :smile:

1 hour ago, connda said:

Inevitably we are drawn to people who’ve been here a similar amount of time; even more so if they are a similar age. We all want someone to relate to and compare notes with.

Really?  Not my experience!  Yeah Thailand has changed me.  I don't hang out with farang, even of similar age or who have been here similar amounts of time.  I live in a Thai village.  I think there is a farang up the valley from me, but I haven't see him for a couple of years.  Don't know him, don't care to.  There are no other farangs in the 30 k long valley that I know of.  And I like it that way.  So how have I changed?  I've De-Westernized.  When in Rome.....  :thumbsup:  I didn't come to Thailand to constantly remind myself of what I don't like about my own country.   You mileage may vary.  :smile:

But then you go online to read, share and seek people with similar views. QED.

I hope all of you read the article and not just the intro that's posted here. Well written and has a lot of truth to it. Good job, Orlando.

Note: My brother tells me I'm uncivilized when I don't wear shoes around the house and when I tried to get them to use a spoon to eat their rice or corn (off the cob), they just put the spoon away and asked for a fork. I thought it was hilarious. :giggle::ermm:

Edited by AgMech Cowboy
poor spelling & English

I became a very bad driver as I have well adjusted to Thai style driving.
Back home would be incarcerated in no time for driving like I do here.

First visit to Thailand in 1974.

Yup, I can relate to that, my driving has deteriorated to adapt to Thai style !!

First visit to Thailand 1991, second visit 24 years later, decided to stay !

Lots of people here are really negative about thailand saying everything was better here 20 years ago.I think its mostly because they have aged so than of course life was better when u are 20 years younger than u are today but it has nothing todo about thailand but all todo about getting older and more cranky.

Edited by Destiny1990

In the US I trusted everyone until they proved me wrong.  In Thailand I don't trust anyone until they prove me wrong.  I can't live without the bum gun.  I am a worse driver.  I rejoice when I can find a decent beer at a decent price.  I have no stress.  In the US I would be an 'old' man.  In Thailand I am a 'Hansum man'.  Can't beat it.

6 hours ago, Get Real said:

That´s a long way back, man! You got my respect. When did you decide to stay?

April, 2007. Actually, my wife wanted to stay. We were living in the PI and we came to Thailand to visit an old friend. Both my wife and I had been to Thailand many times and enjoyed it. We were not so impressed with the PI, so decided to check-out Thailand. 

First came April 1967- loved it the minute I got off the plane. Yes, Thailand has changed me and Thailand has also changed and not for the better and it has nothing to do with the 'good old days' or my age. As the World changed so did Thailand but Thailand has tried to much to emulate the West and much of it's culture has been destroyed by unfettered tourism and a quest for material wealth.

When I first came- the love of money was not an overriding issue. Thai people were more laid back and  were genuinely friendly. Most of them are still friendly but sometimes you have to initiate it. During my first years here- I thought Thailand was paradise and have of course found it is not.

My wife told me learn to speak Thai and you will find we are not all so wonderful. An absolutely true statement.  However, my interactions with the majority of Thais have always been positive.

As the years have progressed- I have mellowed more and more and learned to adapt to the Thai way of doing things and have acquired an understanding of how Thais think; why they do the things they do and how to adjust to them.

I also learned to avoid the tourist bar scene- such places like Pattaya: Phuket and Samui where you never will find the real Thailand.

Thai people are extremely complex and it takes a long time to understand the dynamics of life here.  The best way to enjoy Thailand is to live and let live; don't openly complain or criticise; don't raise your voice; smile a lot; and ignore what you can never change.

On 12/03/2017 at 0:58 PM, maximillian said:

I became a very bad driver as I have well adjusted to Thai style driving.

Back home would be incarcerated in no time for driving like I do here.

First visit to Thailand in 1974.

I just grin when I see English guys getting all worked up about this kind of thing.

I go out more often but am less sociable.

Oh! I never drink water from the tap and it feels really weird doing it when I visit home.

become more accepting of peoples life choices.

Now hate taking taxies and avoid them as much as I can.

I actually speak English slightly differently now. When I visit home everybody tells me I have a weird accent. My native regional accent has been eroded a little and I annunciate much more clearly now. 

My native accent was of a type many other native English speakers struggle to understand. 

12 minutes ago, bananafish said:

I actually speak English slightly differently now. When I visit home everybody tells me I have a weird accent. My native regional accent has been eroded a little and I annunciate much more clearly now. 

My native accent was of a type many other native English speakers struggle to understand. 

I thought I was the only one!  I find that I have actually forgotten a lot of English words, when I want to describe something and I get to that word I have to replace it with something similar, but its not got the same meaning.. if you know what I mean, lol.

I also sometime say words weirdly at the end of a sentence.. with the sound rising... like many Thai people do when they are joking about something.  I occasionally break into pigeon English (but this is usually when talking to another farang who in not a native English speaker.. it really makes it easier for us to understand each other). Also I use pigeon English when texting... makes it much faster.. but makes me sound simple. 

Lastly... I no long like most farang food.  If I eat something like fish and chips, or a pie I get stomach ache and feel bloated for a day or 2.  Also if food is not spicy I find it boring.  I don't know what I could eat if I had to go back and live in the UK!!  I have not eaten bread for over a year now, and I had not eaten beer for many years.. so when I had a real beef burger last week it actually tasted weird... and very strong.. and for the first time I could understand why many Thai people do not like beef.