Real Helmets, Thai Brand worth the effort

Rhys

Aloha Gents,

Just saw at Tesco Lotus a Thai Brand of Crash helmet,  REAL... Would anyone have one of these?   Also is it worth it... the cost was under  3k.

All comments welcomed.

i was surprised to see them on sale at Tesco the other day. i like them, they are reasonable quality for running around town. i tend to buy a new one every couple of years as they fit my noggin very well. The only big issue is they don't vent as well as my HJC or Arai, but i don't particular like leaving either of those 2 attached to the bike when i wander off, so the REAL is good for that.

I have 2 a "Real Orbit" and a "Real Cosmos" both are full face but the whole front flips up for when your stuck in traffic...cheap, do the job and are DOT certified. They had some for sale at my local Tesco too I was surprised to see them there...next week they where gone !

I am on my second Real and I bought the girlfriend one too.

I had the G-Shock for years. You usually get a free spare visor with each purchase and you can take the lining out and wash it. (You will see a shocking amount of dirt, probably diesel soot dissolved in natural scalp oils :ermm:)

I then replaced it with a Tornado which was probably not the best design as it has a slightly worse range of vision and may pinch your cheekbones.

However they have a range of designs available.

If you're ever in Mega Bangna, where the Ikea is, then check out the Real-Garage store.  It has a large range of Real helmets, as well as riding kit, and a big selection of tools I haven't seen elsewhere in Thailand.

I will have to check them out. Always looking for a good second helmet. Have an ICON Airframe Pro but at 15,000 baht I hate to leave it on the bike and don't like carrying it around when parked especially on short trips.

In my experience, the bargain priced helmets - if they carry DOT/ECE/Snell approval - only lose out on features. Typical high priced helmets have better ventilation, upgraded materials inside, more features. As far as saving your skull, if it is approved it will be fine. Now the Fan boys will tell you 'It Ain't So' - so make up your own mind. Used HJC for years. More noisy that say a Schuberth, but the 500 bucks I save will buy a lot of ear plugs.

papa uses REAL 3/4-helmet around town;

on second one now.

Clear & dark visor.

Fit well.

Maybe B2200.

Liner snaps/velcros out

for laundry.

Did save me 2 years ago when

[drunk kid rammed me]

smacked head to soi.

papa choses white for good visibility.

3 hours ago, papa al said:

papa uses REAL 3/4-helmet around town;

on second one now.

Clear & dark visor.

Fit well.

Maybe B2200.

Liner snaps/velcros out

for laundry.

Did save me 2 years ago when

[drunk kid rammed me]

smacked head to soi.

papa choses white for good visibility.

...Papa has spoken....the Dude Abides...

Papa's post reminded me, i forgot to mention in my post that i was wearing a REAL full face helmet 7 years ago that saved my head. A dog ran into the side of my front wheel when i was doing about 20 kph and instantly tipped me over. Result: grazes on arms/legs and broken left collar bone but head was fine, even though scratches on helmet and visor. For those concerned, yes the dog survived and was in good health to probably be run over another day.

1 hour ago, Rhys said:

Not so sure I would like this... a bit of information over load, don't you think... 

The rear view camera would be a nice feature. Head up display also. But I do not listen to music when riding. Phone - F that ! I ride to get away, not take it with me.

Bet $1000 won't buy it ...

I'm planning to a get a Real open face helmet, just under 2k which seems great value for a dot approved make. People have mentioned better makes have better ventilation but i have a Shoei Qwest which is worth around 15k and ventilation isn't that good.

I am finding it difficult to find decent shops in Pattaya, small shops have a limited range.

there's a shop on South Pattaya road on the left hand side if coming from sukhumvit about halfway along the road that has a large selection of Real helmets.

Thanks I'll take a look. I looked in one on corner of soi kho pai, maybe that one. I'm planning to check out one or two other big shops on the other side of the road.

Yes I meant the one on the corner of khopai

google maps  bike shop

bike shop 2    has some real helmets too but less choice last time I looked

Bike shop 2 was good, big range including Shark. I tried the Real open face but the sun visor part doesn't go over my eyes so that model of Real doesn't fit my head.

Interestingly, Index apparently is now DOT, they had an open face model and the sun visor part fitted fine and only 1000 baht. Its hard to believe that a 1,000 baht model can be similarly as safe as a 10,000+ baht Shark model, ok manufacturer costs will be far lower in Thailand vs where these farang helmets are made + expensive offices + mark up.

Anyone doubt the Index DOT status? It is self given anyway apparently.

This looks like the one.

http://www.lazada.co.th/index-titan-7-1815148.html

Does anyone know whether the internal sun visor should come down to nose level or is it meant to stop high up?

When i tried on the Reals the internal visor only comes down just below the eye so if i look down its still bright light but straight or up is darkened. I'm just wondering if its meant to be like that.

On 22/3/2560 at 3:48 PM, scubascuba3 said:

Do you mean Snell? I noticed one 3k+ and i think DOT approved.

YES... thanks for the correction..... would you buy a Snell helmet?  They must be a new Thai brand?

On 3/13/2017 at 6:46 PM, Happy Grumpy said:

Had one before.

Not bad. They have good safety cert, ECE/DOT.

But just a little bit more gets you a HJC. World of difference.

http://www.kreyhelmet.com/category/95/helmet-2/hjc

I had a HJC from the states until some jerk stole it from maguels rest. here in CM. I bought the Real Darwin fits ok and a DOT cert.. No it wasn't a Thai who stole it a farang tourist pinched it.

Bike shop 2 was good, big range including Shark. I tried the Real open face but the sun visor part doesn't go over my eyes so that model of Real doesn't fit my head.

Interestingly, Index apparently is now DOT, they had an open face model and the sun visor part fitted fine and only 1000 baht. Its hard to believe that a 1,000 baht model can be similarly as safe as a 10,000+ baht Shark model, ok manufacturer costs will be far lower in Thailand vs where these farang helmets are made + expensive offices + mark up.

Anyone doubt the Index DOT status? It is self given anyway apparently.

This looks like the one.

http://www.lazada.co.th/index-titan-7-1815148.html

Does anyone know for sure if the DOT approval on many Thai helmets is the real thing? To me it looks nothing like the genuine DOT logo on my American Bell helmet and I suspect those cheap helmets have never been approved by the Department of Transport. If so it might be approved by some Thai standard with the same name. I mean, I have seen DOT written on flimsy helmets costing less than 1000b.

As far as I know, getting a helmet approved by DOT/Snell is an expensive process, and I would be surprised if the manufacturer bothered with it.

So, does anyone know if the DOT letters written on many helmets actually mean something, or is just a marketing smoke screen?

WB