British PM May to reject Scottish referendum demand - Times newspaper

webfact

British PM May to reject Scottish referendum demand - Times newspaper

REUTERS

r1a.jpg

Britain's Prime Minister Theresa May arrives for a Commonwealth Day service at Westminster Abbey in London, Britain March 13, 2017. REUTERS/Toby Melville - RTX30TCA

LONDON (Reuters) - British Prime Minister Theresa May is preparing to reject Scottish First Minister Nicola Sturgeon's demand for an independence referendum on the eve of the United Kingdom's exit from the European Union, the Times newspaper reported.

"The prime minister has said this would mean a vote while she was negotiating Brexit and I think that can be taken pretty clearly as a message that this timing is completely unacceptable," the Times quoted an unidentified British government source as saying.

"It would be irresponsible to agree to it and we won’t."

The newspaper quoted another unidentified May ally as saying that the prime minister was prepared to be more explicit in the coming weeks and say that preparations for a Scottish independence referendum would undermine Britain’s negotiating position with the rest of the EU.

(Reporting by Guy Faulconbridge, Editing by Kylie MacLellan)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2017-03-14

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We had a vote in 2014. Lets get out of the EU as that was the last vote and then give the Scots another vote. Fine by me. If the Scots vote out then great. If they don't I would like to see that horrible, self serving pixie to leave politics once and for all and crawl under the stone she came from. One thing is Scotland should fund the referendum not the UK.

Edited by Laughing Gravy

Indeed, I'm all for them finding their feet (there's only so much berating and whining a man can put up with), and they'd have to if the EU doesn't want them. A big gamble though from net receiver, to hopeful net receiver to potentially having to pay one's way. On the title: British PM May to reject Scottish referendum demand - Times newspaper after which millions of sane Scots breathe a sigh of relief.

Aside: That woman goes on about the nukes, but with an ever-belligerent Russia buzzing the borders, she should be thankful she has the luxury of a neighbour with the big firecrackers to ward off any and all aggressors that fancy taking some Scottish soil... part of UK or no. A bit of grace and humbleness wouldn't go amiss.

sky news are reporting that only 30% of people polled want a 2nd referendum and 65% rejected the idea, it was also stated that if Scotland left the UK they would have to re-apply for EU membership

TM is quite correct saying that even if another referendum was granted it would need to be after the Brexit process is complete, at least people voting would have a clear idea what they were voting for.

All parties and people should now be focused on the task at hand and getting 100% behind the government, brexit is going to happen and everyone should now be sending a solid message to the EU,

Sturgeon should be thinking about resigning if she continues down this ridiculous path....enough already

53 minutes ago, daveAustin said:

Indeed, I'm all for them finding their feet (there's only so much berating and whining a man can put up with), and they'd have to if the EU doesn't want them. A big gamble though from net receiver, to hopeful net receiver to potentially having to pay one's way. On the title: British PM May to reject Scottish referendum demand - Times newspaper after which millions of sane Scots breathe a sigh of relief.

Aside: That woman goes on about the nukes, but with an ever-belligerent Russia buzzing the borders, she should be thankful she has the luxury of a neighbour with the big firecrackers to ward off any and all aggressors that fancy taking some Scottish soil... part of UK or no. A bit of grace and humbleness wouldn't go amiss.

lets not forget that Scotland would leave the UK with a proportional chunk of UK debt which is no small matter

1 hour ago, smedly said:

TM is quite correct saying that even if another referendum was granted it would need to be after the Brexit process is complete, at least people voting would have a clear idea what they were voting for.

That Sturgeon wants to take advantage of the inevitable Brexit chaos and not wait until the dust has settled shows her for the wrecker she is, in my opinion. Of course she will be alright, thanks, no matter what happens.

It simply isn't the time to pour turmoil on troubled waters.

Sturgeon simply copying Ireland and clutching at straws attempting use Brexit and other lame excuses for the SNP's own failings.

First golden rule, get your own house in order.

As for all this Anti-English Tory hatred, so much for a positive progressive SNP, Sturgeons speech just proved how backward the party is and desperate to cling onto EU's apron strings.

Words fail me with Jimmy Krankie et al.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

3 minutes ago, citybiker said:

Sturgeon simply copying Ireland and clutching at straws attempting use Brexit and other lame excuses for the SNP's own failings.

First golden rule, get your own house in order.

As for all this Anti-English Tory hatred, so much for a positive progressive SNP, Sturgeons speech just proved how backward the party is and desperate to cling onto EU's apron strings.

Words fail me with Jimmy Krankie et al.

Can you please elaborate on the Anti-English sentiment? Anti Tory I will accept, but I am yet to hear a convincing argument that Scottish independence is driven by Anti-English sentiment.

All dummies will soon start to be spat out soon when the children don't get their own way.  The PM is correct to say that together the UK will be much stronger. I expect after this latest nationalistic drum beating  has run its course then the people of Scotland will able to be governed by professionals who care more about their own people, and,  the domestic everyday issues,  than their own political ends as is being illustrated by Sturgeon.

Edited by whatawonderfulday

Can you please elaborate on the Anti-English sentiment? Anti Tory I will accept, but I am yet to hear a convincing argument that Scottish independence is driven by Anti-English sentiment.

IIRC it was part of Sturgeon's Monday speech 'English-Tories'

I would review her speech but my tolerance of her & the SNP is wearing very thin since her announcement.

She's basing The independence argument on being forced out of the single market, which is incorrect as no deal has been obtained let alone approved.

1 minute ago, citybiker said:

IIRC it was part of Sturgeon's Monday speech 'English-Tories'

I would review her speech but my tolerance of her & the SNP is wearing very thin since her announcement.

She's basing The independence argument on being forced out of the single market, which is incorrect as no deal has been obtained let alone approved.

But she has a point. We have a government foisted upon us that has one single representative out of 59 MPs. Unfortunately there may be no easy way to say this, but Scotland has had to endure a Tory coalition then a Tory majority government, and all the failed and highly damaging austerity that went with it, because of English tory voters. That isn't anti-English sentiment but reality.

Brexit is the same situation - the overwhelming wish of the Scottish people, far more emphatic than their wish to stay part of the UK, was to remain in Europe. As the country's democratically elected leader, she is mandated to respect that wish and fight for it however she can.

But she has a point. We have a government foisted upon us that has one single representative out of 59 MPs. Unfortunately there may be no easy way to say this, but Scotland has had to endure a Tory coalition then a Tory majority government, and all the failed and highly damaging austerity that went with it, because of English tory voters. That isn't anti-English sentiment but reality.

Brexit is the same situation - the overwhelming wish of the Scottish people, far more emphatic than their wish to stay part of the UK, was to remain in Europe. As the country's democratically elected leader, she is mandated to respect that wish and fight for it however she can.

So the 'once in a generation' Scottish referendum' result now simply being ignored despite Scotland still being part of the UK.

Sturgeon can fight, froth and demand all she wants, Scotland voted to remain in the UK.

Brexit was a UK as a whole decision, just because Scotland and Ireland voted otherwise internally doesn't change the overall result.

Even London overall voted to remain, the fact remains the majority of the UK wants out.

4 minutes ago, citybiker said:

So the 'once in a generation' Scottish referendum' result now simply being ignored despite Scotland still being part of the UK.

Sturgeon can fight, froth and demand all she wants, Scotland voted to remain in the UK.

Brexit was a UK as a whole decision, just because Scotland and Ireland voted otherwise internally doesn't change the overall result.

Even London overall voted to remain, the fact remains the majority of the UK wants out.

Once in a generation - as long as there was no material change in the UK that went at odds against the expressed wishes of the Scottish people.

I can appreciate that some find that hard to take - maybe I would feel the same if I wasn't (a) in favour of Scottish independence and (b) in favour of remaining in the EU, but as I see both as important for the future of my country, I will support any means of achieving them.

Once in a generation - as long as there was no material change in the UK that went at odds against the expressed wishes of the Scottish people.

I can appreciate that some find that hard to take - maybe I would feel the same if I wasn't (a) in favour of Scottish independence and (B) in favour of remaining in the EU, but as I see both as important for the future of my country, I will support any means of achieving them.

I firmly believe Scotland remaining in the UK is strategically & vitally important, and I will support by any means, resources and capability to ensure we the UK remain united.

Primary focus is a United Kingdom prospering outside an EU, I also understand that many will be passionate and struggle to believe the UK can globally prosper after an amicable 40 year EU relationship however it is possible, achievable with the calm level heads required.

15 hours ago, Laughing Gravy said:

One thing is Scotland should fund the referendum not the UK.

One thing is Scotland the SNP should fund the referendum not the UK.

Why should decent Scottish folk have to dig in their pockets for Sturgeon's folly

Edited by Basil B

Just go to the SNP's own website forum. You will find all the rabid anti-English sentiment you will ever need

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

5 minutes ago, sidgy said:

Just go to the SNP's own website forum. You will find all the rabid anti-English sentiment you will ever need

I don't often browse their site because I am not a member of the SNP, but I just took a look and could not see any sign of a forum. Can you please link to it?

Are they as bad as the frequent comments on here about Scots / SNP voters / Sturgeon? Worse than the comments on the Daily Mail or Express forums?

I'm no fan of Nicola Sturgeon, but watched her news conference. No-one can really argue there has been no 'substantial' change in the political landscape since 2014, which is the SNP manifesto argument as justification for a second referendum. Personally, I believe a second independence referendum will be lost by the SNP. 

However I welcomed NS's tweet today, which endorses something I have been arguing for some time. NS says she was elected by a substantial vote as Scotland's first minister, whereas Teresa May has not been  elected by anyone!    Very true, and I object to TM acting as some British Joan of Arc able to deliver us into the promised land - something she actually does not herself believe.  She yearns to call a snap election if she could, but she knows she can't under the fixed term parliament rules, introduced by her predecessor in the coalition government. 

1 hour ago, RuamRudy said:

I can appreciate that some find that hard to take - maybe I would feel the same if I wasn't (a) in favour of Scottish independence and (b) in favour of remaining in the EU, but as I see both as important for the future of my country, I will support any means of achieving them.

No- it was once in a generation, and not subject to any proviso that you or anyone else thinks appropriate!

1 hour ago, emilymat said:

I'm no fan of Nicola Sturgeon, but watched her news conference. No-one can really argue there has been no 'substantial' change in the political landscape since 2014, which is the SNP manifesto argument as justification for a second referendum. Personally, I believe a second independence referendum will be lost by the SNP. 

However I welcomed NS's tweet today, which endorses something I have been arguing for some time. NS says she was elected by a substantial vote as Scotland's first minister, whereas Teresa May has not been  elected by anyone!    Very true, and I object to TM acting as some British Joan of Arc able to deliver us into the promised land - something she actually does not herself believe.  She yearns to call a snap election if she could, but she knows she can't under the fixed term parliament rules, introduced by her predecessor in the coalition government. 

Joan of Arc or not, watching from the other side of the world the British lady PM is strikingly miles ahead of all others worldwide of what we would all vote for. Very impressed by the cut of her jibe. 

49 minutes ago, Roadman said:

Joan of Arc or not, watching from the other side of the world the British lady PM is strikingly miles ahead of all others worldwide of what we would all vote for. Very impressed by the cut of her jibe. 

The vote was once in a generation.  Nobody calls for another 2 years down the line! The independence vote was about whether Scotland wanted to be independent or remain part of the UK.  Matters like EU membership are subservient to that point.  The Scots simply didnt get their way on what was a UK wide vote.  It could have been the other way round, and indeed general elections might have been won or lost on what happened north of the border. 

Simply no grounds for another flaming referendum.

I don't often browse their site because I am not a member of the SNP, but I just took a look and could not see any sign of a forum. Can you please link to it?

Are they as bad as the frequent comments on here about Scots / SNP voters / Sturgeon? Worse than the comments on the Daily Mail or Express forums?

I do not browse their site either ,unfortunately judging by my FB feed,a lot of my Scottish friends do as it has been inundated with these posts,
Just look at the SNP FB page and judge for yourself which is worse, in any event two wrongs do not equal a right

7 hours ago, mommysboy said:

The Scots simply didnt get their way on what was a UK wide vote.  It could have been the other way round, and indeed general elections might have been won or lost on what happened north of the border. 

Could have been? Might have been? You are very happy to rely upon innate assumptions to enforce your point. Sadly, the facts don't bear out what you are trying to get across.

Here are the facts (from Quora):

"for 62 of the last 67 years, Scottish MPs as an entity have had no practical influence over the composition of the UK government. From a high of 72 MPs in 1983, Scotland's representation will by 2015 have decreased to 52, substantially reducing any future possibility of affecting a change."

One point, the number of MPs in Scotland is currently 59, not the 52 predicted above. However we still have no influence over the composition of the UK government.