Import Tax for Bike Parts in Thailand

Chris78

For people with some experience in getting bikes, parts and clothing sent to Thailand,

I am wondering what the import tax is for different bicycle parts when having them sent here. I heard that for a full bicycle you might pay an additional 37%!!

I am assuming the tax for parts is less disastrous than that.

I have ordered a pair of cycling shoes and some pedals and will then get them mailed to Thailand.

Firstly, can anyone give a run-down or a link to the levels of import tax for different items (bikes, parts, shoes, clothing) and secondly, any tips for getting bike related stuff sent here without paying large sums for the import tax?

Thank you

10% on parts plus 7% duty

Clothing is 20% plus 7% duty, unless it's classified as luxury (e.g. Rapha) then its 30% plus 7%

Completely built up bikes are 30% plus 7% duty

It's important to note you add the duty after the import tax calculation, so it isn't 37%, works out closer to 40% on a complete build bike. Also they will include shipping in the calculation, if shipping is free, then they will calculate the shipping to be 10% of the value of the shipping. It's always better to pay shipping for this reason.

If the value is less than 1500 THB then there is no tax to pay.

Oh, and the valuation is based on what customs think the item is worth, not necessarily what you paid for it. It can work out in your favor sometimes, but occasionally you'll get stung.

If you have a choice in shipping provider, try to avoid DHL, you will get stung on import duty through them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 minutes ago, moonoi said:

10% on parts plus 7% duty
Clothing is 20% plus 7% duty, unless it's classified as luxury (e.g. Rapha) then its 30% plus 7%
Completely built up bikes are 30% plus 7% duty

It's important to note you add the duty after the import tax calculation, so it isn't 37%, works out closer to 40% on a complete build bike. Also they will include shipping in the calculation, if shipping is free, then they will calculate the shipping to be 10% of the value of the shipping. It's always better to pay shipping for this reason.

If the value is less than 1500 THB then there is no tax to pay.

Oh, and the valuation is based on what customs think the item is worth, not necessarily what you paid for it. It can work out in your favor sometimes, but occasionally you'll get stung.

Thanks again. So, do you know if shoes are considered as clothing and would be taxed at the higher rate or could shoes and pedals be classed as parts?

Also, what if I have the company send them to Australia and then take them out of the boxes and post them as, say, sports equipment or something general like that? Do you think that would work or I would just end up paying the full 17 or 27%

Coming from Europe, US or Australia will make no difference. It also doesn't matter what you mark it as, they'll open it and apply duty according to what is in it. You may even end up paying more if the classification is incorrect (this happened to me once).

Shoes are classified as clothing, the pedals as parts, so they will charge duty according to each classification.

37 minutes ago, moonoi said:

Coming from Europe, US or Australia will make no difference. It also doesn't matter what you mark it as, they'll open it and apply duty according to what is in it. You may even end up paying more if the classification is incorrect (this happened to me once).

Shoes are classified as clothing, the pedals as parts, so they will charge duty according to each classification.

Alright, thanks again, this is all helpful. So how do they figure out the overall cost of an item if it is shipped in an unmarked bag or if you write the cost as lower than what it was to buy new or if it second hand goods being sent by friends?

They guesstimate it, or if there is a local equivalent they will base it on that, but normally it's a guesstimate.

If you check the custom rules, this is normal, even if you have a declared value, they are free to ignore it and make up their own.