Chiang Mai man takes spade to his own car in Ford protest

webfact

Chiang Mai man takes spade to his own car in Ford protest

1am.jpg

Picture: Thairath

BANGKOK: -- A Chiang Mai man furious with motor car maker Ford took a spade to his own car in a protest in Bangkok yesterday.

Attaphon Piawacha, 27, was at the end of his tether after his Ford Fiesta had caused him nothing but trouble since he bought it Thai Rath teproted.

The gears don't function properly, the whole car vibrates and worst of all, the brakes don't work. He has been to Ford many times, and his trips to consumer organizations and government offices seeking recompense have all come to nothing. He has had to fly to Bangkok from Chiang Mai eight times.

So yesterday he got a spade and started hitting the bonnet of his own car in front of the Ford Sales and Service office in Sathorn Square, Sathorn, Bangkok.

And he was not alone in his anger. He was joined by 60 other Ford Fiesta and Ford Focus owners who are not happy with the company or their cars. They read out their grievances and toted placards in Thai and English outlining their woes.

One in Thai read: "I bought my car to drive, not to repair it".

Another in English said: "You sure you wanna buy one?"

Thai Rath said that Ford were not available for comment but they would follow the story.

Source: Thai Rath

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-03-15

No. That article claims the focus was the best selling car worldwide, a disputed claim.

sent using Tapatalk

"In 2012 Ford Thailand Manufacturing (FTM) was established in Rayong province to reinforce the strategic role of Thailand as a volume production and export hub in the region and underscore Ford’s long-term commitment to Thailand. FTM is a state-of-the-art passenger car facility, where the Focus, Fiesta and EcoSport are built for sale in the domestic market and export across the region. "

https://www.ford.co.th/en/about-ford/

Bought a new Toyota Fortuner here, presume assembled in Rayong.  Drove it around for 2 years then went on holiday to the US and drove a new Dodge Durango SUV for 1 month.  It was a tight ride, just looked and felt solid.  Returned Thailand, driving the Tuna first time was like trundling down the road in an empty aluminum soda can.

Edited by 55Jay

This isn't the first time FORD has received negative publicity in the press here about quality issues. 

Is there really a problem with (some) of their production lines? I assume that a company like FORD would do something about such issues. Or is it a case of customers not bringing their vehicles in for regular maintenance and then complaining, like this fella, when the car doesn't perform properly?

I'm not a fan of FORD, but they do make a pretty decent vehicles. 

Edited by djayz

2 minutes ago, canopus1969 said:

And after all this there are still people who buy Fords     :cheesy:

+1  , I own one now but NEVER again.

The focus here is the guy with the shovel the focus should be where was it made, not any reports out of OZ on this problem, a pity it wasn't a focus , I could have focused on this matter all day, anyway it wouldn't have happened if he had brought a Bugatti .....................................................................:cheesy:

Edited by chainarong

This is a known defect with Ford's PowerShift Dual Clutch transmission, basically a software controlled automatic gear shifting component installed by Ford in several models from 2011-2014.  It was subjected to major recall campaigns and several class action lawsuits in the U.S.  There are both mechanical adjustment issues and software update requirements that lead to frequent need for servicing the vehicles.

Thailand amended its Civil Procedure Code effective December 2015 to allow class action lawsuits.  Class actions have been threatened against Ford (for this defect) and also True (because of withdrawing HBO channels).  None have been filed.  Why?  Because Thai lawyers are very lazy, and it is too much work for them.  Also, their lack of creative thinking, from years of lazy brain syndrome, prevents them from taking action on anything that is "outside the box" and doesn't fall within the rote memorization of legal codes that led them to their illustrious law degrees.

I can understand this poor Ford owner's frustration.

Edited by zaphod reborn

5 minutes ago, chainarong said:

The focus here is the guy with the shovel the focus should be where was it made, not any reports out of OZ on this problem, a pity it wasn't a focus , I could have focused on this matter all day, anyway he should have brought a Bugatti .....................................................................:cheesy:

He is indeed wielding a shovel, not a spade as stated in the article.

here is an off topic but has the same meaning

I bought a Lenovo Ideapad laptop ..after a few months of mild use it started to cut out and HDMI had no sound

sent it to the Lenovo repair centre and they replaced the Mainboard 

after 30 minutes it was back to the same problem so back it went 

this time they replaced the Hard Drive ..got it back and after a few minutes did the same ..cut out 

back to Lenovo service center and they said the new Hard drive was faulty so replaced Hard Drive again

got it back and worked for maybe 2 hours then cut out again 

Back to service center and yes they got the fault ..was the Main Board so now there has been 2 Main Boards and 2 Hard Drives  replaced ....got the laptop back and yep same same same problem but this time there was a loud crackle like an electrical fault when it cut out ..so far this is the 6th time this PC has been back to Lenovo service center 

Each time they so called repaired the unit they reformat the hard drive and I have to pay to have windows 10 re-installed ..they do not back up files so all information is gone ...I don't know of anywhere else that re-formats a Hard Drive and does not do a backup of files...So far this problem has been ongoing for 3 months and I still have no laptop but the good old Sony VAIO still keeps going 

had a lot of computers over the years and never had a problem with any of them,still have a VAIO and ASUS that both are well over 10 years old and never a problem.. have replaced HDD's with bigger ones and increased RAM for better speed and that is all I have had to do 

Lenovo .....don't think I will be getting another one ..they should have left IBM alone 

1 hour ago, chainarong said:

The focus here is the guy with the shovel the focus should be where was it made, not any reports out of OZ on this problem.

Ummm, yes there is. There has been quiet a few complaints about gearing problems, and car vibrations in Australia for Fiestas.