British man dies after falling from Udon Thani hotel

webfact

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A solution to falling off balconeys  when having said jimmy is to sit down, has many advantages

1) you do not have to be awake, no requirement to open your eyes apart from the journey to the loo.

2) If you fall , not so far to reach the floor

3) Have many place's to lean against

4 ) You do not have to worry about leaving the seat up for your lady...

Finally you do not have to move , can stay there until the next urge to pee .

I have been a sailor most of my life and like many other sailors find it much easier

to sit down when at sea, a habit which I have continued when on land.

RIP poor guy.

Accidents like that will keep on happening. The balcony lattices in Thailand are way too low. The one on my terrace is 66cm high.

In Germany 90 cm is standard for heights up to 12m, 110cm for heights of more than 12m measured from the balcony floor.

I wonder when Thailand will do something about this issue, considering their everlasting "mai pen rai" attitude.

16 hours ago, oxo1947 said:

well...did he have anything in his hand or not.........:coffee1:

The door was unlocked with no sign of a struggle.

I have stayed at this place for a long time and the toilet / shower is next to the door that opens to a small balcony.

I never had the urge to pee over it, there was usually people below as the car park is there.

When people are drunk they do strange things, very strange , I think people pee themselves just before they die.

The only exit from the rooms is by going down the stairs and out the front doors of the guest house, it has CCTV coverage of the stairs and the lobby.

I wonder if someone left around the time of the event???

10 hours ago, Golden Triangle said:

I have just read some of the other posts in this thread, all I can say is that there are some very ignorant, uncouth and despicable people on here, those of you that thought you were making smart arsed replies should really be ashamed of yourselves, a poor man has died in what I can only attribute to a terrible accident and you make smarmy replies, you know who you are, hang your heads in shame and have some compassion for a fellow human being.<removed>

At that time of the morning, if I get up to visit the John I often lean against the wall while peeing as my eyes are half shut and I'm still half in the land of nod, I can just see this guy in my head trying to lean on a wall that wasn't there.

Once again, RIP sir, 

<removed>

I agree 100%

Not just respect for the deceased but also for his friends and family he leaves behind.

I suspect some of them will read this thread!

Whatever the reason he was far too young, RIP and condolences to family and friends.

There but for the grace of God..........

16 hours ago, Foghorn Leghorn said:

I say!

Stayed in this place a few times. Depressing and uninviting feeling about it. 

Maybe not a 5-star hotel but blaiming the incidense on the accomodation in stead of the man - well thats a bit off...

7 minutes ago, Mangkhut said:

Maybe not a 5-star hotel but blaiming the incidense on the accomodation in stead of the man - well thats a bit off...

I stayed there a few years ago when it was new, it was very bright and clean and they changed the linen every day, it was a very clean and nice bright big room with a nice toilet and shower and air.

I did not find it uninviting it was quite laid back, I stayed there for one year.

I don't know why if this man stayed there for a long time that he would not use the toilet which is next to the door that opens to a very small balcony.

What ever happened there is a possibility of foul play, I hope the police reviewed the CCTV, the place used to be very well managed and friendly nice management.

Very sad RIP.

Very sad. Condolences to friends and or family. One thing puzzles me though. The guard her a thump which means that he didn't hear a shout or scream beforehand. Was this chap unconscious before falling I wonder. Not suggesting foul play but posters here who have knowledge of the 'demon drink' (I am TT) might give reasons. 

1 hour ago, fxe1200 said:

Accidents like that will keep on happening. The balcony lattices in Thailand are way too low. The one on my terrace is 66cm high.

In Germany 90 cm is standard for heights up to 12m, 110cm for heights of more than 12m measured from the balcony floor.

I wonder when Thailand will do something about this issue, considering their everlasting "mai pen rai" attitude.

Can you show a picture of this 66 cm high 'balcony' wall? 

That would be just over my knees.    

Even 90 cm is lower than ANY balcony I've seen in Thailand or indeed anywhere in the world. 

120 cm is the standard height I've seen in Thailand

1 hour ago, fxe1200 said:

Absolutely right sir, I see new constructions with low balconies.Do they have building regs here ?

17 hours ago, wakeupplease said:

Land of suicide  with the same old excuses

British Embassy has been informed

Little do they care

RIP

True all they will care about is informing the UK government in case he is in receipt of some government benefits which they will immediately stop!

RIP is all we can say, too young to go!

18 hours ago, Golden Triangle said:

He could've been sleep walking, or got up to use the loo and was disorientated, found the balcony not the loo, he's only been at the hotel for 10 days, I hate staying in new places, I always get up in the night for a Jimmy due to one or two too many beers and have trouble locating the bog, these days I leave a light on in the bathroom and the door slightly ajar. 

RIP sir.

Exactly what i do.I had been sleep walking twice in Cha am,starkers heading down the stairs.Luckily the missus walked me back to bed.Can't remember a thing.Both times on vodka home brew from Sweden.

17 hours ago, saakura said:

The accident occured at 3.40pm which i understand to be mid afternoon. Hardly the time to be drunk and urinating in the balcony.

You got it all wrong.You can get drunk anytime you like,there is no time limit on when you can crack the 1st tinnie.Re'read the post and you may get a clearer picture of what happened.

1 minute ago, louse1953 said:

You got it all wrong.You can get drunk anytime you like,there is no time limit on when you can crack the 1st tinnie.Re'read the post and you may get a clearer picture of what happened.

I went for a haircut the other morning at 9:30... The drunks

were already with their beer in hand as you rode by the bars!!

4 hours ago, Get Real said:

Yeah! That´s why I always use the toilet!

It´s just like a house of cards in this country. If one falls everybody else follows suite.

Just hope he didn´t hurt himself to much before he died.

I think you should look at your handle.

2 minutes ago, little mary sunshine said:

I went for a haircut the other morning at 9:30... The drunks

were already with their beer in hand as you rode by the bars!!

Some like an early drink and go home for a snooze after lunch.May or may not go out at night.

18 hours ago, Golden Triangle said:

He could've been sleep walking, or got up to use the loo and was disorientated, found the balcony not the loo, he's only been at the hotel for 10 days, I hate staying in new places, I always get up in the night for a Jimmy due to one or two too many beers and have trouble locating the bog, these days I leave a light on in the bathroom and the door slightly ajar. 

RIP sir.

I know a guy who was fishing at night in a bass boat, stood up to wizz over the side, put his hand out like he was going to lean against a wall, and fell in the lake.

He was sober too! Just sleepy I guess?

Edited by jaywalker

14 hours ago, Philthyphil said:

You do know what a Jimmy means in Thailand right?

13 hours ago, Golden Triangle said:

Actually No, please enlighten me, I was referring to the good old rhyming slang, Jimmy Riddle = Piddle = Piss, I would love to know Phil :smile: 

Depends on how it is pronounced, but "jim" can mean pu55y.

1 hour ago, louse1953 said:

Exactly what i do.I had been sleep walking twice in Cha am,starkers heading down the stairs.Luckily the missus walked me back to bed.Can't remember a thing.Both times on vodka home brew from Sweden.

"Hem bränt" has never had that effect on me

Mate of mine.

Went on holiday with his missus for a fortnight ( Majorca or similar), arrived at hotel and straight out on the piss.

Wife woke up around 4 am to the sound of him urinating in the open suitcase on the floor !! [emoji33]

He had no recollection that morning !

They are not still together !