Moving to Thailand

henryhughes96

Hi All,

Hoping someone can shed some light on a couple of questions.

I'm aged 20 and have recently moved from the UK to Cyprus and am planning on travelling across to China and then down to Thailand.

I was hoping to work in Thailand but due to the strict Visa's and work permits, I do not know if this would be possible - I has a Business and Marketing Qualifications but would be content working in a coffee shop, bar ect. Is anyone doing anything like this.

My other idea was to come over for 1 month just to explore the area and see what it has to offer.

I have done a lot of research online about the cost of transport, accommodation, food ect but is it really that cheap?

Finally, I would be looking to come over alone. As I mentioned, I have came across to Cyprus on my own but knew a couple of people over here. Has anyone on this forum gone over alone and if so, did you manage to make friends/meet new people.

Sure this has been asked 100s of times so I do apologise but I'm just trying to get a better idea of how much I realistically need and whether its worth going alone.

Thanks in advanced,

Henry :)

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

General guides:

Read here: http://www.thaiworkpermit.com/prohibited-occupations-in-thailand.html

and : http://www.thailawonline.com/en/others/labour-law/forbidden-occupations-for-foreigners-jobs.html

The above will tell you what is possible, and NO it isnt that cheap, and if you dont have or get adequate travel Insurance you could find yourself in real trouble and not just financial.

ANY type of work, paid or unpaid, even volunteering requires an appropriate Visa and work permit.

The only job you might get fairly easily is with a language school as an English instructor. I believe TV has a separate forum for teachers plus there must be dozens of others on FB, etc.

I have never done this work though and it just struck me that a school might ask teaching qualifications, distinct from what you have in business. Still look into it. As posters above indicate other low-level jobs are simply not open to foreigners.

1 hour ago, CharlieH said:

General guides:

Read here: http://www.thaiworkpermit.com/prohibited-occupations-in-thailand.html

and : http://www.thailawonline.com/en/others/labour-law/forbidden-occupations-for-foreigners-jobs.html

The above will tell you what is possible, and NO it isnt that cheap, and if you dont have or get adequate travel Insurance you could find yourself in real trouble and not just financial.

ANY type of work, paid or unpaid, even volunteering requires an appropriate Visa and work permit.

Absolutely correct.

To make it very simple: "Whatever work that can be performed by a Thai-National can not be performed by a foreigner".

That limits the career opportunities for non-Thais severely.

Cheers.

My other idea was to come over for 1 month just to explore the area and see what it has to offer.

I have done a lot of research online about the cost of transport, accommodation, food ect but is it really that cheap?

If you've never been to Thailand, you should DEFINITELY visit before committing to a move.  It seems crazy to randomly move to any country in the world without having ever visited.

Is it really that cheap?  It can be...as long as you're outside Bangkok.  Thailand can be done as cheap or as expensive as you want or don't want.  You need to have good self control, seriously.

Keep in mind that typically when people say SE Asia is cheap, they are referring to living like a local.  No imported beers, no imported foods, living with family, etc.

Also, as a 20-something, it's pretty difficult to actually live in Thailand.  You can read up on the Elite card though, http://www.thai-elite.com/

It's the easiest way for a young person to live in Thailand, visa-wise.

Edited by IsaanUSA

You will have an uphill battle finding work here.

You might consider going to Cambodia as work visas are easier to obtain.

Better to start your own small business with money from one investor.

Good luck.

11 hours ago, henryhughes96 said:

Not long enough.

I have done a lot of research online about

Obviously not enough.

would be content working in a coffee shop,

Nope, no can.

Has anyone on this forum gone over alone and if so, did you manage to make friends/meet new people.

Yep very easily coarse l was well off. :biggrin:

If you're really serious learn the language online first.

There is a free holiday course at http://learn-thai-podcast.com/

and loads more.

Aged 74, I bought an online course last year and I can read Thai now but....

Reading doesn't exactly help with understanding.....

The course was very good and in about 10 days I was able to read basic print thanks to

Gary at http://j3.learnthaionline.com/

Then there's the problem that you will learn to read regular printed Thai, but there are many other fonts used and you really have to learn them as well.....

To live on the cheap, I suspect that you will have to live out in the boonies and then you will find very few English speakers there but your single biggest problem will be getting visas to be allowed to stay in Thailand.

As has been suggested, you can buy a 5 year Elite visa for one million Baht but you will then need work permits......

If you end up in popular tourist areas, it is not cheap and there will be many temptations ahead of you.....

Nice to dream though.

Visit for 30 days on the visa free entry and see for yourself.

Bring enough money to allow you to travel and stay in reasonable guest houses so you can explore properly.

Good luck.

10 hours ago, The Dancer said:

The only job you might get fairly easily is with a language school as an English instructor.

Right. I has [sic] a feeling that isn't something to plan on, ect [sic].

12 hours ago, henryhughes96 said:

I has a Business and Marketing Qualifications but would be content working in a coffee shop, bar ect.

As regards foreigners living here, Thailand is for the already rich and the retired. If you haven't already made your money forget trying to live in Thailand.  Its not a country where you can just turn up and help yourself - its not Europe. The simple fact is that the Thai authorities don't really want foreigners living there - hence all the obstacles. They want tourists to go there, spend all their money, then go back to their own countries. Having said all that, your young - so if you have a degree - teaching English will be pretty much your only career option. There are plenty of foreigners already 'living' in Thailand who can't really afford to be there and spend their time trying to rip off their fellow farangs in order to fund their life in the sun. I live in Cambodia, which is far easier to ply a trade - but unfortunately the place is a complete dump.

Have you considered Singapore, Malaysia where English is widely spoken and you could get a proper job with good pay. Check it out.

If you work in Malaysia or Singapore you could always visit Thailand it's so near with cheap AirAsia flights.

It's the Pussy that attracts lots of people to come and live in Thailand. You don't want to do that, you want to just visit and have fun, be smart.

You will finally find Thailand ladies aren't good in bed, believe me, I am a veteran in this matter. Just that they are young and some quite attractive other than that they are no good in bed.Take my word for it.

Check out workaway and helpex volunteering websites... mostly part-time "work" for board and lodgings only.

Away from main tourist places you can get reasonable accom for 3-400bt/n, or much less on a monthly basis, and by eating local you don't need to spend a fortune. But it can be difficult without a rudimentary knowledge of the language, or a "helper".     

1 hour ago, laislica said:

If you're really serious learn the language online first.

There is a free holiday course at http://learn-thai-podcast.com/

and loads more.

Aged 74, I bought an online course last year and I can read Thai now but....

Reading doesn't exactly help with understanding.....

The course was very good and in about 10 days I was able to read basic print thanks to

Gary at http://j3.learnthaionline.com/

Then there's the problem that you will learn to read regular printed Thai, but there are many other fonts used and you really have to learn them as well.....

To live on the cheap, I suspect that you will have to live out in the boonies and then you will find very few English speakers there but your single biggest problem will be getting visas to be allowed to stay in Thailand.

As has been suggested, you can buy a 5 year Elite visa for one million Baht but you will then need work permits......

If you end up in popular tourist areas, it is not cheap and there will be many temptations ahead of you.....

Nice to dream though.

Visit for 30 days on the visa free entry and see for yourself.

Bring enough money to allow you to travel and stay in reasonable guest houses so you can explore properly.

Good luck.

There you go a comprehensive sensible answer. At 20 your rather young to look at staying in Thailand unless you have money and can teach. Life is a long road to travel. If your a hansum man you might meet a lady of means. Looking at the world today the one day at a time concept may be a good one. Doubt by the time you retire that governments will have any form of pension. They are already doing a number on us at present trying to scrape every dollar together to feed the military. Good Luck. 

If you do come to Thailand then stay in contact with Mummy and Daddy every 60 minutes or so.

Because

1. They can send you some money to carry on travelling, pay your medical bills, buy a flight ticket back home, get you out of jail.

2. Mummy does not get in a tizz because there has been no word for two days and she has read to much about young travellers disappearing on islands, in jungles, falling off cliffs, being kidnapped, and going to fullmoon parties.

Otherwise have a great time!

:thumbsup:

To meet other travellers I strongly suggest staying at the popular dorm hostels. Bed is cheap, often they are selling cheap booze, have cheap food, having a party every night, good music (bit of an age factor here).

I have started travelling like this, and I am way, way older than any of the young guys. I love it. It is infinitely better than joining a group of whinging old f4rt5 drinking too much beer complaining about prices, exchange rates, personal medical issues and everything else.

(Avoid Thai women and target the young travellers, you have more in common, can speak the same language, have the same interests (travelling cheaply). Thai women have become, IMO, increasingly self-centered, demanding, spend all their time on the mobile phone talking to THEIR friends but expecting you to pay for expensive food, drinks and entertainment. Waste of time and money, and the promise of an awesome night sh466ing them stupid NEVER is always left unfulfilled)

30-40,000 Baht maximum for one month.

Henry,

To do what you are wanting to do, you will have far better luck in Siem Reap, Cambodia which is just down the road.You will find a friendly , younger bunch of expats to give you advice. A couple of Facebook groups are worth joining and you can get the updates there. There is one called Expats and locals in Siem Reap and another called Siem reap expats or something like that. Look around on FB,You will find the groups and ask questions there.

You can legally be employed working for only $100 a year for your work permit. You will also need a visa, these are easily available for 3,6 or 12 months. and priced accordingly. One year is in the region of $285-300 USD, and that is it. You will not be asked anything more than the above.

At your age you can work down there in bar management, hotels, teaching English if you get TEFL in the UK first. etc

Living is cheap. Your work in business and marketing etc, you can find opportunities down there or in Phnom Penn.

Forget Thailand at your age, except for a good holiday.

Henry, if you are prepared to work at last initially for the minimum possible for a UK expat (50K per month I believe) and work your way up there are opportunities out there.

I know a few in similar circumstances to you who came here, put their back into searching for jobs and through persistence and no doubt some luck got positions in large multinational companies.

There are positions out there, especially for someone of your age, you just have to be persistent and put your back into it, and get your foot in the door. Once you are in you are in, don't think jobs are below you. Its easier to source other positions once you are in the market.

Short term pain for long term gain.

3 hours ago, Kabula said:

You will have an uphill battle finding work here.

You might consider going to Cambodia as work visas are easier to obtain.

Better to start your own small business with money from one investor.

Good luck.

I've been working in Cambodia for 11 years and the days of easy WP's are a thing of the past, if you want to do it properly. I've just renewed mine, it took 3 months as it's now an online process being handled by a Malaysian company.

As an aside, a 20 year old in Cambodia? Not the easiest place to be if you haven't seen much of life, too easy to be tempted or swallowed up. I wouldn't have wanted to be here at that age.

Henry,

It's a great idea for a young pal like you, to visit Thailand – however, do not expect to be able to work. Many unskilled jobs, like working in a coffee shop, bar, and like, are reserved for Thais (and folks from neighboring countries like Laos and Burma), so at the age of 20 you will probably not have skills for obtaining a Work Permit.

On the other hand, your idea of coming a month and explore is great – as EU citizen you'll have 30-days visa-exempt stay on arrival – that will give you a possibility to find out what Thailand is about, and if you like it at all, and possible some contacts to how you could stay for a longer period of time.

A good idea is always to travel around and see different parts of Thailand, and as a young travelling alone, and looking for potential friends, you options are great, if you head for areas young people flocks to – like in  Bangkok seek accommodation in Karosan Road-area; heading up North, Chiang Mai-area is the trekking destination; eventually Phi-Phi Island, which became famous from being set in the film "The Beach"; and not to forget Koh Samui and Koh Phangan, neighboring island flocked by youngsters and the legendary Full Moon Party – check for full Moon party-dates, it's really worth experiencing, but try to avoid from October till mid January due to rainy monsoon season – in the true Ang Thong archipelago from the story about "The Beach".

Travelling alone, be aware of the traps – i.e. what you read, lots of it is true – so staying away from drugs (completely), never drink too much (always know what you're doing), and don't be too naive; in other words, behave yourself sensibly and respect the local culture, then you'll do fine.

Cheap, prices, costs – it's relative, and of course a question of what you can afford to budget with. I live at Koh Samui, so my main focus is based from here – and that's not the cheapest place in Thailand – but the youngsters coming here seem to have- and spend more money today, than the typically back-packer stories. However, you can still find reasonable prices accommodation, and if higher level aircon hotel rooms are not a must, you can find fine rooms from around 300 baht and up to 600 baht most places in Thailand, even at Samui and Phangan. If you use bus and train as transportation – and ferry to islands – it's cheap to get arround, less than 1,000 baht (around £20) for a night train 2nd class sleeper from Bangkok to Chiang Mai, or down south to Samui (including ferry transfer), day trains and busses are (much) cheaper. The bus-system can be little complicated for foreigners, all signs may be in Thai letters,, but normally people are very kind to help. Air Asia and other budget air-carriers can sometime compete with night-train-sleeper or VIP-night-bus prices, so you can get from A to B in short time for around 1,000 baht. Food is depending of where you eat, but delicious street kitchens and local restaurants will serve you a fine Thai-meal from 50 baht (little over £1) and up to around 100 baht; including free drinking water in street kitchens.

So you can manage to get around, sleep and eat relatively very cheap, i.e. 1,000 baht (£20-£25) a day in average is possible, but you'll need some extra money for entertainment, and some entrance fees for "must visit" attractions; do count some more than just minimum, so the trip will also be fun.

Feel free to ask questions.

I wish you good luck with you travelling plans...

:smile: