Promenade R.I.P

New beginnings

Had to go to immigration today for 90 day report. (Know I can do it by post but prefer to go in person until Immigration website is up and working again - some hope) Anyway first time visiting Promenada mall since free shuttle bus ceased operating and booked Uber car.  Picked up within 2 minutes, lovely driver, who spoke perfect English, air conditioning comfort and all for the princely sum of baht47.90. On leaving the mall approached the line of songthaews waiting outside and was initially quoted a fare of baht200. After much "toing and froing" eventually managed to negotiate a reduced charge of baht140.  Surely, bearing in mind both Chiangmai Festival and Airport Plaza malls, still operate free shuttles this must be another death nail in Promenada's coffin.  Oh yes before you ask  apart from immigration the place was virtually empty.

I do find it amazing on this forum that many contributors, rather than addressing the question raised, seek to demean the original post.  Here we have a case in point with "electrified's" somewhat banal comment.  What is deceptive about the title heading.  It merely states a fact that Promenada is going downhill fast.  It would be more interesting if contributors would comment why they feel it is acceptable, and in the malls interest, for shoppers without own transport being charged up to Baht 400 each time they wish to visit the center.

Promenada was DOA. They should have named it Chang Phuek Mall. Since Ragu has gone downhill the only reason to go there now is immigration. FWIW, I did my latest 90 day report in 10 minutes, arriving around 2pm - literally faster then going to the post office.

Ragu has always been over priced and over rated. As is The Dukes in the other building. Even compared with Dukes elsewhere, this one has been shoddy and lazy the two times I visited ( I gave it a second chance in view of all the adulation of Dukes that sometimes appears on this site!) Fuji is pretty similar to Fujis elsewhere, but the other Japanese/ Korean joints near Fuji seem to have either closed or have no customers. Sad to say that Promenada is a failure waiting to be confirmed by its inevitable closure.

The only good thing at Promenada is you can park easily at any time, and you can visit virtually empty movie theatres for "personal showings" as there are so few customers. I watched "Arrival" there a couple of months ago. I was literally the only person in the theatre!

I first visited Promenada not long after immigration transferred there. Only times I have visit is when I have business at immigration.

On each visit I could literally count the people, other than staff, walking about on 2 hands. The place is grey, full of wide open empty space that has echoing sounds and it`s bleak to say the least. The Promenada is one of the most empty, depressing, nothing type of malls I have ever been to anywhere.

7 hours ago, New beginnings said:

I do find it amazing on this forum that many contributors, rather than addressing the question raised, seek to demean the original post.  Here we have a case in point with "electrified's" somewhat banal comment.  What is deceptive about the title heading.  It merely states a fact that Promenada is going downhill fast.  It would be more interesting if contributors would comment why they feel it is acceptable, and in the malls interest, for shoppers without own transport being charged up to Baht 400 each time they wish to visit the center.

It's not the mall's problem that you don't own transport! Why don't you buy a car?

6 hours ago, EL159 said:

Ragu has always been over priced and over rated. As is The Dukes in the other building. Even compared with Dukes elsewhere, this one has been shoddy and lazy the two times I visited ( I gave it a second chance in view of all the adulation of Dukes that sometimes appears on this site!) Fuji is pretty similar to Fujis elsewhere, but the other Japanese/ Korean joints near Fuji seem to have either closed or have no customers. Sad to say that Promenada is a failure waiting to be confirmed by its inevitable closure.

The only good thing at Promenada is you can park easily at any time, and you can visit virtually empty movie theatres for "personal showings" as there are so few customers. I watched "Arrival" there a couple of months ago. I was literally the only person in the theatre!

There is no problem with Dukes there. We go often. Never had a problem. Ragu is O.K. but nothing great. The theaters are indeed excellent. Chi Chang is excellent as is Rimping.

Yes, Promenada is a failure but I doubt it will close. There is too much invested into it.

50 minutes ago, mduras01 said:

Why is it that it's so empty? Poor management? How does it even stay open?

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

It's empty because there are hardly any businesses left there. Most have closed due to lack of business. It stays open apparently from the income from Rimping, Dukes, Chi Chang, the banks, weekend outdoor event, etc. It sure isn't making a profit. It's such a beautiful property that they can't just shut it down and let all the landscaping die and become a ghost mall; ripe for vandalism and graffiti. I would imagine that whatever income it has barely pays the electric bill, the janitors and gardeners.

7 hours ago, elektrified said:

It's not the mall's problem that you don't own transport! Why don't you buy a car?

"Why don't you buy a car?"

You're joking, right? So accoridng to you, everyone who shops there has to own a car to do so?

It is exactly the mall's problem not least of all because it provides a way to encourage those potential shoppers / customers many of whom don't have their own transport. Also, in the scheme of things and considering the money already invested, it wouldn't be a terribly expensive.service to re-provide.

Regards,

Joe

57 minutes ago, Shoeless Joe said:

"Why don't you buy a car?"

You're joking, right? So accoridng to you, everyone who shops there has to own a car to do so?

It is exactly the mall's problem not least of all because it provides a way to encourage those potential shoppers / customers many of whom don't have their own transport. Also, in the scheme of things and considering the money already invested, it wouldn't be a terribly expensive.service to re-provide.

Regards,

Joe

It is possible to go to the mall by motorbike or bicycle as well, so you do not really need a car.

I would guess that Promenada stopped the shuttle bus because it was not worth it. For them to decide and useless to complain about it.

14 hours ago, cyberfarang said:

I first visited Promenada not long after immigration transferred there. Only times I have visit is when I have business at immigration.

On each visit I could literally count the people, other than staff, walking about on 2 hands. The place is grey, full of wide open empty space that has echoing sounds and it`s bleak to say the least. The Promenada is one of the most empty, depressing, nothing type of malls I have ever been to anywhere.

Maybe the circus was in town?  I was there yesterday for a quick visit to renew my 1 year visa but I didn't see anyone walking about on 2 hands, staff included.

36 minutes ago, Chiengmaijoe said:

Maybe the circus was in town?  I was there yesterday for a quick visit to renew my 1 year visa but I didn't see anyone walking about on 2 hands, staff included.

I guess something's afoot! :P

2 hours ago, Chiengmaijoe said:

They only walk on 2 hands during the mating season.

I for one like the option of having many malls in Chiang Mai.  Promenada is good for the restaurants, Rim Ping, movie theater, and general ambience, although I must admit that one of the reasons I like visiting there is the lack of crowds.  I do wonder how they survive.  Most of the restaurants there may be a bit too pricey to attract the masses, but it's good to go there and have more than a few choices. 

It would be a real shame if Promenada had to shut down, but I won't lose any sleep over it.  I recall going to the grand opening a few years ago and it seemed like the owner(s) were farangs. 

I agree, one of the reasons we like to visit Promenada is that it is not crowded. Dukes is never full and the food is always good. We always get a few things done like paying bills or banking when we go there to eat which is very convenient. Sometime we get something in Rimping that we can't find elsewhere but even though we wander through some of the other stores we never find anything of interest. Hopefully they will find some way to survive. It doesn't seem likely that they will ever attract any of the typical mall type stores again but you never know.

20 hours ago, mduras01 said:

Why is it that it's so empty? Poor management? How does it even stay open?

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

One major flaw is the design....Chances are good a vertical mall would do much better at that location.... It's built like an unappealing airport....Would make a good college campus or government building once it finally expires....

"Boutique" is term usually used to designate a deficient commercial property such as this one.....

1 hour ago, pgrahmm said:

One major flaw is the design....Chances are good a vertical mall would do much better at that location.... It's built like an unappealing airport....Would make a good college campus or government building once it finally expires....

"Boutique" is term usually used to designate a deficient commercial property such as this one.....

you have,nt got a clue, the loot has to be parked,  somewhere,

its a  Russell Hitchcock late evening to all

On 3/16/2017 at 4:07 PM, New beginnings said:

I think some people might wonder if it was ever on top of the hill in the first place?