Sports injuries- achilles/groin

mommysboy

I upped my running last week, with unfortunate consequences. I am 55, quite fit, lean, and do a sort of cross country course which is part flat concrete and part on a sandstone bank.  There's a bit of jumping.

A few days ago, I developed pain in the groin area on the left side.  It also seemed to radiate around the hip, upper thigh, and there was an annoying dull ache in the left crown jewel.  The problem has since eased and now I just have a sporadic, peculiar, cramping, burning sensation 2 inches away from the diagonal line, and on the other side there is a point in my upper thigh which is a bit sore.  I'm guessing I have a typical sports groin strain.  But just wanted to seek advice.

This morning, upon wakening, my left foot achilles hurt quite a bit.  I do sometimes get this in both achilles.  A couple of steps later I was walking normally.  But then I noticed I have developed a hard lump a few centimetres above the heel, about ankle height.  Sometimes there is a stinging feeling.  I know achilles injuries to be something you don't take chances with, so I have stopped running and plan on a month's break.  Again, I'm guessing this is some form of strain, perhaps a small rupture.  I've been using new shoes and have a pressure sore a couple of centimetres lower.  I wonder if this is connected!  Again, I just wanted to seek advice.

Hmm- don't know how to describe it.  But from googling it corresponds with what is said about partial muscle tear, and tendonitis.  I also had a similar thing when I had a serious hamstring pull.  Obviously, it is rather an important muscle,  perhaps I should see a doc.

Edit: actually this just about sums it up-http://www.cambridgefootandankle.com/achilles-tendon.shtml

"• A lump in the substance of the tendon two to six centimetres above its insertion into the heel bone (non-insertional tendinosis). This pain occurs because of age related changes, which cause the tendon to swell and degenerate. This may be associated with a partial rupture of the tendon. Partial ruptures do not necessarily need surgery, or rest. Sometimes continued stretching is the best option. "

Archived