Pattaya slowly cleaning up spaghetti wiring mess

Rimmer

Pattaya slowly cleaning up spaghetti wiring mess

PATTAYA:--From North Road to Jomtien Beach, Pattaya city workers and local utility companies slowly are untangling the area’s unsightly jumbles of power and cable-television wires.

Pattaya administrators and city council members were briefed on the progress of the beautification efforts at a March 9 meeting, which showed dedicated efforts to clean up the spaghetti wire bundles that not only look bad, but often lead to fires.

Engineering Department staffers said work has been proceeding on North Road between Tesco Lotus and the Third Road intersection, with the most recent work done March 8 on two kilometers of roadway.

Workers will move to Central Road on March 22.

In Jomtien Beach, the Provincial Electricity Authority’s local office had been untying knotted wires from Thepprasit Road to Chaiyapruek Road, a length of about three kilometers.

Read more: http://www.pattayamail.com/news/pattaya-slowly-cleaning-spaghetti-wiring-mess-167515

pattaya_mail_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Pattaya Mail 2017-03-17

North Road between Tesco Lotus and the Third Road intersection

That stretch don't get a lot of foot traffic, as some businesses discovered. Gotta wonder about the priorities. Seems to me 2nd Rd would be better place to start; some Brit got electrocuted there back in 2008.

3 hours ago, champers said:

Credit where credit is due. No-one seems to have been injured or worse during the course of this very dangerous type of work. I hope it stays that way.

How true.

I haven't been to Pattaya  for years, what are they actually doing:

- Just tidying it all up - but still above ground, or

- Putting it all underground?

3 hours ago, redwinecheese said:

"beautification" crap, they need to put these cables and wires under ground otherwise they should just shove up their asses.  When it rains no more internet nor cable tv.

100% agree. They still don't seem to lay cable underground on new housing projects...........

3 hours ago, JSixpack said:

That stretch don't get a lot of foot traffic, as some businesses discovered. Gotta wonder about the priorities. Seems to me 2nd Rd would be better place to start; some Brit got electrocuted there back in 2008.

Agree. Lots of low-hanging wires on Second Road and, especially, a big mess of wires by PS Bowl near the painted bus stop. 

They are supposed to remove the old cables when replacing them. BUt never do. When I changed cable tv companies  when they came inside to install the box, I asked them if they were going to remove the old cable. They said they wouldn't because it wasn't their wire. 

So there is the continuing never ending problem.

They tidy them up often but new ones go up everyday.

Some sois are ok though. It looks like they have  Soi 9 theprasit all sorted.image.jpeg under control.

1 hour ago, Philthyphil said:

They are supposed to remove the old cables when replacing them. BUt never do. When I changed cable tv companies  when they came inside to install the box, I asked them if they were going to remove the old cable. They said they wouldn't because it wasn't their wire. 

Some sois are ok though. It looks like they have  Soi 9 theprasit all sorted.image.jpeg under control.

Looks great!

3 hours ago, overherebc said:

I often wonder how many of these wires are redundant. Run a new cable and just leave the old one instead of removing it.

Many are surely redundant. I once had a cable issue and since they couldn't find the old cable amid all the spaghetti in the bottom of the building (WHAT a mess), and outside on the street, they simply ran a new cable. Now in fairness the owners don't want any identifying tags on their cables because other owners will sabotage them out of spite about something or another. Lot of nutters in Pattaya . . . .

1 hour ago, Philthyphil said:

Wouldn't it be cheaper to run the wires under the garbage??? just asking. 

37 minutes ago, elgordo38 said:

Wouldn't it be cheaper to run the wires under the garbage??? just asking. 

Further down a bit they may have done just that. Or maybe the litter has grown over the top of them.

It is hard to say.

but I think you maybe onto something.

image.jpeg

7 hours ago, overherebc said:

I often wonder how many of these wires are redundant. Run a new cable and just leave the old one instead of removing it.

Probably 99% are redundant.

And must be impossible to sort the mess.

99% of the cables are not labelled.

12 hours ago, redwinecheese said:

"beautification" crap, they need to put these cables and wires under ground otherwise they should just shove up their asses.  When it rains no more internet nor cable tv.

Yeah, I can just imagine such excavation efforts and the protracted traffic tie-ups and outages they'd cause. 

Does the current effort involve just internet/cable, or power lines as well?  Should people be expecting lots of power outages?

45 minutes ago, hawker9000 said:

Yeah, I can just imagine such excavation efforts and the protracted traffic tie-ups and outages they'd cause. 

Does the current effort involve just internet/cable, or power lines as well?  Should people be expecting lots of power outages?

It would take a year to clear the rubbish just to get to the ground to start digging.

That last photo is actually on a raised road. 

It is a much higher pile than the photo suggests.

It is a shame they have ruined that Soi with its near perfect wiring.

Ifbyou go down there late arfternoon you just see truck after truck driving down there dumping rubbish. It isn't just people throwing food wrappers out the window.

They burn it at night. That is part of the reason the air is so bad in Pattaya and the views from the luxury condos so smoggy in the mornings.It ain't sea mist. 

17 hours ago, Philthyphil said:

Further down a bit they may have done just that. Or maybe the litter has grown over the top of them.

It is hard to say.

image.jpeg

Its just amazing how mankind is learning to co-exist with filth the solid and the two legged kind. 

On 3/17/2017 at 2:15 PM, overherebc said:

Or run a new cable for every new connection instead of figuring out which is your (company) cable and connecting to that.  Surely if every new company did that it would come down to one cable per cable  TV company.

Also, I do not have cable but from comments on this forum, it appears that some companies are apparently closing their service down which means there shoud be some redundant cables there already anyway

57 minutes ago, The Deerhunter said:

Or run a new cable for every new connection instead of figuring out which is your (company) cable and connecting to that.  Surely if every new company did that it would come down to one cable per cable  TV company.

Also, I do not have cable but from comments on this forum, it appears that some companies are apparently closing their service down which means there shoud be some redundant cables there already anyway

One of the things that promted my comment on redundant wires comes from seeing one of the local roads being widened and the concrete poles being moved. Prior to moving there must have been more than 30 or 40 wires. Now the poles have maybe 9 or 10 wires and the rest have gone?????

On Friday, March 17, 2017 at 6:58 PM, Philthyphil said:

It is hard to say.

image.jpeg

Is that the nature all the tourists come for?

16 minutes ago, uchibenkei said:

Is that the nature all the tourists come for?

What does it look like after the tangles etc., have been fixed? 

-Is the wiring still visible above ground but less tangled?

-Has it gone underground?

On 17/03/2017 at 3:03 PM, fish monger said:

All of you that have posted photos of he wires and trash are only destroying the 'image' of Pattaya and Thailand in general...! What is wrong with you people...?   (SARC)

Telling it as it is and not as TAT want to tell tourists who spend loads getting here only to be disappointed with the truth< best go to Norway then