What next new bike ? Fed up with Ducati

Xaos

Hi, got Monster 821 fairly new still on guarantee. It didnt gave me serious problems although there were few from new like needed upgrade electric motor starter as it was too week cool was free, had to remove that carbon thing tank cuz it didnt start hot. Free.

Ducati parts are so exlensive its joke. They wanted 3500 for a bulb H2 or whatever it is. They make them in Rayong but put 50% tax on it or more.

Recenty i had small accident on it bumped car and droped it. Broke both breakes leaver scratched tank a bit. So was told insurance will have to pay 90 000 to fix it Aftet i pay excess, thats fine, problem is it was end of jan. And after few calls they finally said bike ready about 20 march. And its like 1 day max fix, not even than. And I pay a lot for insurance.

I think geting rid of it.

Im In Pattaya

After my small research I really like BMW 1000r naked. Fast not too heavy ...

So i would go around that price 600k

What else would u recommend?

I dont want super sport or too heavy bike.

And should I wait for new models 2017 like bmw ...

Yamaha 09?

I am noob really. Just drive

Thx

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I am in a similar position as you. My bike again is currently sitting at the dealer, waiting for repairs. I brought it there for the 24k service where they noticed engine oil contamination for which the reason is a broken clutch. I already had the clutch completely replaced on warranty before because it just burned out. They also found a timing belt pulley was broken. Current status: they are waiting for Ducati Thailand for two weeks already to even approve the repairs before they can start doing anything like ordering parts. The bike spent many months waiting for parts over the past two years, I think nearly 10 months in total? The reliability is a complete joke. Fortunately I didn't have to pay anything as everything that needed to be replaced so far was always on warranty or paid by another party. But I really want to ride a bike and not wait months every time some part needs to get ordered. My bike is a Scrambler so minimal electronics, no fancy features, old tech engine. I don't ride it hard even. How can that thing be so unreliable? It should be bulletproof!

I was planning on upgrading anyways and the new Ducati Supersport looked extremely tempting. But I am really at my limit in terms of patience when it comes to service/repairs. And once the warranty is up, things are looking to get mighty expensive too. 90k THB for a scratched tank and brake levers? Insane. That's why a bunch of insurance companies completely stopped insuring Ducatis.

Compare that to Honda. I brought my bike into the dealer for the 48k big service and before I left the shop 15min later, they already had it in the workshop, removed the fairing and started work on the engine. I'll get the bike back later today. They have many parts in stock and if something needs to get ordered, it takes a week to come from BKK. Prices are very fair too.

I've been looking at the S1000R a lot, seems like the 2017 model has some good upgrades. Especially the rubber mounted bars, the autoblipper and User-mode. I'm gonna go to BKK for the motor show and also see that I can test ride the 2016 model somewhere. I test-rode the 2015? S1000XR and the engine is amazing. Crazy power on top but at the same time docile like a kitten down low. Didn't like the vibes though. The S1000R will be 650k+ THB, not cheap. And I expect prices for service and parts to be also quite high. But I'm prepared to pay if I get good stuff in return.

Alternatives for a fun naked bike: MT-09 (XSR900), the new Street Triple, ... well the air is getting thin here already. Z900 maybe (though lacking something imho). Honda has nothing. The S1000R is my top contender right now.

I suggest you go to the Motor Show in BKK at the end of this month and check out all the bikes as I will do.

Just my take so don't get upset, the monster has always been a monster they have always been the same, ya want a Ducati for posing OK go for it,  never like any Ducati's,  have ridden the 916 felt like a minimoto compared to the jap bikes the only time they do any good is in MotoGP IMHO and people that buy em pay for it,  it's a luv thing nothing more.

Spend £1000 quid on a CBR1000RR and you can have as gooda bike as the BMW1000R fact.

Yes I plan to to go Motosai show.

I might wait bmw 1000r 2017 will be amazing bike.

Like I said dont want supersport for Pattaya really. 1000r would be perfect.

2017 more power and less weight.

New gsxr is awsome apparentely but I pass.

I am in a similar position as you. My bike again is currently sitting at the dealer, waiting for repairs. I brought it there for the 24k service where they noticed engine oil contamination for which the reason is a broken clutch. I already had the clutch completely replaced on warranty before because it just burned out. They also found a timing belt pulley was broken. Current status: they are waiting for Ducati Thailand for two weeks already to even approve the repairs before they can start doing anything like ordering parts. The bike spent many months waiting for parts over the past two years, I think nearly 10 months in total? The reliability is a complete joke. Fortunately I didn't have to pay anything as everything that needed to be replaced so far was always on warranty or paid by another party. But I really want to ride a bike and not wait months every time some part needs to get ordered. My bike is a Scrambler so minimal electronics, no fancy features, old tech engine. I don't ride it hard even. How can that thing be so unreliable? It should be bulletproof!

I was planning on upgrading anyways and the new Ducati Supersport looked extremely tempting. But I am really at my limit in terms of patience when it comes to service/repairs. And once the warranty is up, things are looking to get mighty expensive too. 90k THB for a scratched tank and brake levers? Insane. That's why a bunch of insurance companies completely stopped insuring Ducatis.

Compare that to Honda. I brought my bike into the dealer for the 48k big service and before I left the shop 15min later, they already had it in the workshop, removed the fairing and started work on the engine. I'll get the bike back later today. They have many parts in stock and if something needs to get ordered, it takes a week to come from BKK. Prices are very fair too.

I've been looking at the S1000R a lot, seems like the 2017 model has some good upgrades. Especially the rubber mounted bars, the autoblipper and User-mode. I'm gonna go to BKK for the motor show and also see that I can test ride the 2016 model somewhere. I test-rode the 2015? S1000XR and the engine is amazing. Crazy power on top but at the same time docile like a kitten down low. Didn't like the vibes though. The S1000R will be 650k+ THB, not cheap. And I expect prices for service and parts to be also quite high. But I'm prepared to pay if I get good stuff in return.

Alternatives for a fun naked bike: MT-09 (XSR900), the new Street Triple, ... well the air is getting thin here already. Z900 maybe (though lacking something imho). Honda has nothing. The S1000R is my top contender right now.

I suggest you go to the Motor Show in BKK at the end of this month and check out all the bikes as I will do.

Mine wasnt that bad. Its year old bike. Did 19k on it. It didnt broke down so far.

My friend got same bike and out of 15 months it spend 5 in Ducati. Ride by line error. Lambda errors etc.

1 hour ago, Kwasaki said:

Spend £1000 quid on a CBR1000RR and you can have as gooda bike as the BMW1000R fact.

Well you'd have a vastly outdated model that is actually a completely different bike (supersport vs naked and he doesn't want a supersport), in Thailand restricted to 120HP, no semi-active suspension, no autoblipper or all the other electronic wizardry. Add your 1000 GBP to get 20% of these things and you're at the same price or more and still haven't gotten close. That will change with the new Fireblade for 2017 but we'll have to see the price first. Probably wont come under 800k... and again, supersport.

Anyways, Ducatis can be very nice bikes. Engaging, emotional. As long as they work. Once you need repairs (in Thailand), you're in for a ride - and not the one you'd want :)

My choice is limited to the dealers in Pattaya as I cant go for a service to bkk. So from what it is I think BMW 1000r its like 600k+ Very fast bike and From users feedback reliable.

So far winner

KTM are heavily overpriced in Thailand and lack a proper dealer network. At least there's no KTM dealer in Phuket nor Chiang Mai.

The 690 Duke R costs 680k THB according to https://www.motogroupthailand.com/ktm-pricelist

When you can get the top-spec latest-tech literbike for less than a thumper... You'd need to be a die-hard KTM fan to buy that here. I have seen some KTMs on the street though, but only the smaller ones.

My choice is limited to the dealers in Pattaya as I cant go for a service to bkk. So from what it is I think BMW 1000r its like 600k+ Very fast bike and From users feedback reliable.

So far winner

Where are the dealers in Thailand (BMW) ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi 

I had a ducati 795 monster for 3 years, also no issues just a battery.

Trying to get Ducati pattaya to service it was pain. come back next month maybe in 6 weeks! <deleted>

Also ducati pattaya do not trade in bikes, i bought it from them, they say only sell new bikes, can sell on your behalf.

So whats the point in buying from a dealer if they don't want a trade in?

Anyway changed to BMW, bought an S1000R naked, very happy.

Superb handling, awesome brakes, heaps of power, light, feels like a 600, easy to ride fast or slow.

BMW service is good in Na jomtien, i bought my bike in Bangkok.

Totally different experience to the Ducati and the dealership.

18 hours ago, DILLIGAD said:

XSR900 ?
New Triumph 675.?
Z1000 ?

New 675 is a 765.

New Z900, c/w lovely green trellis frame is apparently better than the old Z800 and the current Z1000. And no electronics.

Both bikes are getting rave reviews.

12 hours ago, eisfeld said:

That will change with the new Fireblade for 2017 but we'll have to see the price first. Probably wont come under 800k... and again, supersport.

Yeah agree some my rant was off topic really it was about my experience in England over many years, apologies.

New 675 is a 765.
New Z900, c/w lovely green trellis frame is apparently better than the old Z800 and the current Z1000. And no electronics.
Both bikes are getting rave reviews.

Oops, sorry. I'll go sit in the corner!555

KTM 690 SMC/R would be my choice. I've had a couple of Ducatis and several KTM's. For the roads and traffic here the KTM is excellent. Fast, manoeuvrable and well made. 

There is KTM in Pattaya but I doubt they got this model. They sell some 399cc

9 hours ago, eisfeld said:

KTM are heavily overpriced in Thailand and lack a proper dealer network. At least there's no KTM dealer in Phuket nor Chiang Mai.

The 690 Duke R costs 680k THB according to https://www.motogroupthailand.com/ktm-pricelist

When you can get the top-spec latest-tech literbike for less than a thumper... You'd need to be a die-hard KTM fan to buy that here. I have seen some KTMs on the street though, but only the smaller ones.

Thought there was a KTM dealer on South Pattaya road ?

Yes their V twin bikes aren't cheap here but believe me they are massive fun and very usable.  Don't write them or the 690 thumper off until you have tried one.  

Guess it really comes down to what sort of riding you will be doing and what you prefer.  Guys who prefer inline fours often look down on twins and I guess singles are seen as further down the pecking order. But in real World riding around town in Thailand on mixed surfaces either single or twin KTM will be the most agile, usable and practical.  Not much point on have bags of power and straight line speed if it's unusable. Of course if your intended use is distance on A roads the four banger sports is a better choice.

I really wanted a Multistrada. Borrowed a friends in Singapore and road to Kuala Lampur and back. Fantastic bike. But the problems with service and parts in LOS just unreal. For fun I googled mileage to drive from Chiang Mai to Bologna - 10,000 km. But it takes months to get parts ?  Forget it.

I really wanted a Multistrada. Borrowed a friends in Singapore and road to Kuala Lampur and back. Fantastic bike. But the problems with service and parts in LOS just unreal. For fun I googled mileage to drive from Chiang Mai to Bologna - 10,000 km. But it takes months to get parts ?  Forget it.

And Multistrada 821 was very faulty. My fried spend 5 month in service out of 15 he had it. New bike. Sold it. Bought BMW

Theres Ducati factory in Rayong. BMW and I think Benz

Supernaked around 600k ?

I currently just ride a small R3 (my first clutch-bike), but i read all news and reviews on new leader bikes. What appears to come best out on paper/value are the yammie MT-10 and beemie S1KR.

I'd wait for the 2017 versions though, if not for the upgrades, for the resale value. S1KR will be lighter and feature more electronics, while the yammie will release a special MT-10SP that will include moto-gp grade suspension among other things. No idea on the price, but i assume the MT-10SP will be closer to 700k than 600k, or even more.

Kawi Z1K/Z1KR, while better than in the past, i think the 2017 models fall short compared to the 2 above. Even the R-version fall short in terms of features, yet tops the price (dissapointed).

KTM, MV-agusta, Triumph still overpriced/not-enough-service-centers in Thailand, imo.

As for after-sale service, having owned a Honda scooter, a Kawi Z125 minibike, and a Yammie R3. While some people say Brand-X service is so much better than Brand-Y, i found them all to be similar, they just do what the books says as minimum and nothing more. If i owned a more expensive bike i wouldn't want it to be close to any Big-Wing, Yamaha, Kawasaki nor a BMW dealer (Or KTM,MV, Triumph, or insert any other manufacturer for that matter). I'd either do it myself or i'd go to a big-bike shop to do it for me.

Edited by KheeeeMotocyyyy

I have a Ducati Diavel and I have had some of the same service problems mentioned here. One time I needed fuel injection pressure sensors and my bike was out of commission for 7 weeks, two weeks before Ducati Pattaya would make me an appointment and let me bring it in, then an additional 5 weeks waiting for the parts. Completely unacceptable. On the other hand I was in Ducati Pattaya a couple of weeks ago to fix something minor and they fixed it on the spot, something that they would have never have done before, they would have made me wait for an appointment. 

I also noticed that the  dealership has changed the whole work force, I didn't see one face I recognized and I've been doing business with them for four years (I had a Monster before) so evidently they know that they have a problem and are working to fix it, let's hope that they are successful :smile:.

As for what kind of bike to buy, I have a Honda CB650F with a set of panniers that I use for road trips, I would recommend you get one of the Japanese bikes, Honda, Yamaha, or Kawasaki, and then you won't have to worry about service and there is usually a dealer in most Thai cities. Good luck with whatever you choose. 

tomaway: the Suzi is probably not a bad bike taken by itself but I am not sure if it can shine when put next to the MT-09 and Z900 which only cost something like 10% more but offer considerable more torque in lower RPMs and imho much better design but that's a matter of taste. The Yamaha also has traction control and quickshifter. My classification would be: Z900 if you want a bit more sporty, smooth bike. MT-09 if you like to hoon around. GSX-S750 if you are on a tighter budget.

You are right, I just checked the Z900 and it looks definitely more sexy than the GSX. 

The new MT09 is not yet arrived in Thailand according to their website but it seems to be also a great bike, but.... living in Phuket, I will stay clear from Yamaha as they are as bad as they can be in every aspect. What a shame  for Yamaha to let this bunch of clown ruining such a great brand!

14 hours ago, tomaway said:

You are right, I just checked the Z900 and it looks definitely more sexy than the GSX. 

The new MT09 is not yet arrived in Thailand according to their website but it seems to be also a great bike, but.... living in Phuket, I will stay clear from Yamaha as they are as bad as they can be in every aspect. What a shame  for Yamaha to let this bunch of clown ruining such a great brand!

Question:

When you say a bike is "sexy"

what does that mean?

I've wonder for many years.

How can a machine be object of sexual interest/arousal...?

Thanks.

6 hours ago, papa al said:

Question:

what does that mean?

Thanks.

I can help papa out with this one:

PS: where did papa leave the third person in his post this time?

Question:
what does that mean?
Thanks.

When I look at a bike I see curves and pleasure provided...

Also in my language a bike is a female gender...

So "sexy" seems to be normal to describe something I would like to ride ;-)