British born English teacher swaps school life for orange robes to learn more about Thai Buddhism

rooster59

British born English teacher swaps school life for orange robes to learn more about Thai Buddhism

tnews_1489727211_763.jpg

Image: 77 Jowo

A British man who has lived in Thailand for three years has decided to become a Thai monk during the school holidays.

Sebastian John Maw, 44, will be known as Jaruthamamo for the next three weeks.

And his arrival is causing quite a stir among the failthful in the rural sub-district of Nonburi in Sisaket where he was ordained to join the temple of Wat Trai Phoom.

Sebastian is normally an English teacher in Khon Kaen but school is out so he decided to further his Buddhist knowledge. He has been a Buddhist since he was 27 and living in England.

There he was a monk at Wat Tibet for five years where he studied the Tibetan branch of the religion.

But he wanted to know more about Thai Buddhism and when a close friend suggested he join the forest temple in Sisaket he jumped at the chance.

Source: 77 Jowo

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-03-18

The beach was too far or he's broke./

Whilst I jest, I have done three months and it was physically rewarding. Tu dong , fasting and labouring ... More to the philosophy of buddhism on hols than most monasteries can encapsulate but good luck to him for having a crack. Majorca next year perhaps.

and then try this.....

experience being a student... which is not just for a few days or weeks..... but a decade or two....

even though.... it won't be from and through your youth....  the only one you will ever have (well, most of us believe so)....

even though.... it doesn't work in reverse either.  yeah we can all presume.... yes.... you had some friends and family... and yourself as well.... who know a language of literacy. you are "farlang". it says so.

but try it anyways... experience life as a student. in a Thai classroom.. public or private.  but Thai taught.  where the ajarn is trained as a teacher but whose L1 is one of the Thai dialects. that's all you need... you can skip the uniform.

even so..... all you will need is a few days at that too.

Edited by maewang99

2 hours ago, ezzra said:

And this is news why? like it wasn't done already many times before

by a multitudes or other foreigners and mostly out of curiosity and

no for a true calling.........

I wish you would try it instead of posting nonsense on hear all day long.  

being an english teacher is a bit like being budist. neither have (or are supposed to have) any money. i know an english guy who went to be a monk for 3 months. he came back and his thai wife had cleaned him out so he was kind of forced into having no assets. i loaned him some money to keep him going. he actually paid me back. think it was the only time i ever got money returned in thailand.

He won't learn much about Buddhism as a Thai monk.

Ah, but read the headline again.  It says that he wants to learn about Thai Buddhism.

Thai Buddhism and real Buddhism are 2 totally different things  :sad: