Dual Pricing

SpokaneAl

I have not thought much about dual pricing because of our very infrequent trips to national parks and the like. However, our current trip to Phuket has left me a bit stunned on the subject.

We were at the local fresh seafood market (eight family members, I am the only falang). Family members wanted to buy some shrimp and were a bit shocked at the price - 800 baht per kilo. When they asked the seller, she informed them that this was the falang price - for Thai people the price was 400 baht a kilo.

Then tonight we were walking around the massive night market and it was time to eat. The ubiquitous Thai noodle dish was offered at 80 baht. Again, my family inquired and was once again informed that this was the falang price and the price for Thais is 40 baht.

Phuket is a nice place to visit but it sure seems aimed at squeezing everything possible from the falang - tourist or not.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

11 hours ago, SpokaneAl said:

I have not thought much about dual pricing because of our very infrequent trips to national parks and the like. However, our current trip to Phuket has left me a bit stunned on the subject.

We were at the local fresh seafood market (eight family members, I am the only falang). Family members wanted to buy some shrimp and were a bit shocked at the price - 800 baht per kilo. When they asked the seller, she informed them that this was the falang price - for Thai people the price was 400 baht a kilo.

Then tonight we were walking around the massive night market and it was time to eat. The ubiquitous Thai noodle dish was offered at 80 baht. Again, my family inquired and was once again informed that this was the falang price and the price for Thais is 40 baht.

Phuket is a nice place to visit but it sure seems aimed at squeezing everything possible from the falang - tourist or not.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

If you go shopping for food, clothes , etc. You must shop separately from your family. once you know what you want.

You tell someone to buy for you. I know not fair, but you will save money.

Get over it!!!  Sounds like another Cheap Charlie.
There is dual pricing everywhere in the world:
military discounts, student discounts pensioner
discounts senior citizens discounts...if you can
holiday in Phuket....why complain about B40.

Not really a complaint, merely an observation. I do understand that things are different when visiting a tourist destination.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

When I go to "the fish market" in Phuket (according to the OP there is only one so..) the prices are the same if I go alone of the gf goes for me.  Same for food at the mentioned Naka Market where almost all the restaurants have menus with prices.  Every time I have thought I paid too much for something when I was alone I asked the GF and she said the price was right.  She agrees that Phuket is more expensive in general than other places in Thailand but we have not encountered dual pricing scams.  I say scams because I refer to when it get slipped in on you.  There is however dual pricing at some parks, attractions, waterfalls etc. just like other provinces. Some (The Bird Park for example) will honor a Thai DL and give the Thai price to foreigners, the waterfalls will not.  

53 minutes ago, little mary sunshine said:

Nonsens....this is not a Cheap Charlie thing. You don't see the Fact: Discount and other specialprices for students, Soldiers, Pensioners are about her income situation in many Countrys. Doublepricing in Thailand ist a plump tourist Rip off. I wish, Thai tourist will be doublepriced in the same way in Europe, USA and elsewhere. If they dont accept this, are they Cheap Charlies???

These posts about dual pricing are beginning to get tedious. The posters don't seem to realise that dual pricing as they call it happens everywhere. My Thai friends paid twice the going Rate when they rented a car in Australia and ridiculous prices in the UK for accommodation and other expenses.

if they bothered to learn the Thai language and avoided living in Farang ghettos. They would never be charged more than Thai. I can't understand why they don't ask for a menu with prices on it. Most of us would never order a meal anywhere unless we know the price. As for the national parks 400 bt for a tourist is about the price of a coffee in their own country so they don't complain. And to me for instance, I spend twice that much on my lunch. So I say if you don't like the price don't go and stop moaning about dual pricing it's so boring for the rest of us on TV.

Just walk away from a private vendor if they offer you a so called Farang Price

I speak Thai so in many occasions when I was given a high price I said I will pay Thai price  in Thai and they relented and gave me the lower price

Good luck 

Dual pricing was started by the Thai government in National parks etc, the old royal palace in Bangkok is a perfect example of dual pricing

Never had a problem with it myself, if not worth the price i walk away and if interested i pay the required fee, definitely will not pay to see a waterfall here, its free entry at Victoria falls in Zambia which is a real waterfall not the excuses for one you see here

There is due pricing in most countries, so why make a big deal over it happening in Thailand

As already mentioned a lot of local attractions charge you the locals price if you have a Thai driving license, Also if travelling one national park entrance fee is good for the whole day you purchase it to use for entry to all the national parks you want to see on that day

This forum ( thai visa Phuket forum ) is gaining a reputation for all the wingers and complainers who post on it, some people have nothing better to do with their time and need to get a life, nothing makes you stay here or visit as a tourist, its your choice.

Personally i think Phuket is a great place to retire to and is definitely not expensive for anything i buy or use

I simply will not buy anything or go in anywhere that operates dual pricing out of principal.

Nothing to do with being cheap, I just feel the practice is wrong, and I normally make a point of informing those who do it of my views.

14 hours ago, SpokaneAl said:

There were 8 people of which only 1 was a foreigner, they were not ripping off the foreigner - they were trying to rip off the Thai majority.

1 hour ago, gamini said:

These posts about dual pricing are beginning to get tedious. The posters don't seem to realise that dual pricing as they call it happens everywhere. My Thai friends paid twice the going Rate when they rented a car in Australia and ridiculous prices in the UK for accommodation and other expenses.

if they bothered to learn the Thai language and avoided living in Farang ghettos. They would never be charged more than Thai. I can't understand why they don't ask for a menu with prices on it. Most of us would never order a meal anywhere unless we know the price. As for the national parks 400 bt for a tourist is about the price of a coffee in their own country so they don't complain. And to me for instance, I spend twice that much on my lunch. So I say if you don't like the price don't go and stop moaning about dual pricing it's so boring for the rest of us on TV.

dual pricing by nationality is discrimination easy and clear by law! if you are so rich that you don´t mind to pay 10 times more than a Thai to go to national parks, why you not pay 10 times more for a condo or a house than a Thai pays or for your car here? why you not pay 20.000 THB for a flight in Thailand, while a Thai pays 2000 THB? or why you not paying 1000 THB for a beer and a Thai pays 100. 

I want to hear your reaction if the tax office tax you 10 times more than a Thai because you are not Thai.  I guess then you would start cry and complain. 

Discrimination is still a offense and crime even some mentally less don´t mind. Because you are a selfish, our western sociaty and education means not only looking what something means for you only, but for other people in the society. 

Dual pricing just encourages institutionalised begging.  Thai authorities (and the country) lose face every time they  (or businesses) emphasise  the scam opportunities they rely on. The whole system demeans any national aspiration beyond third-world dependency status.  If Thais want to represent themselves to the rest of the world in such a way that's their choice.

I don't have a problem, in principle, with national parks having two-tiered pricing as long as the foreigner price isn't exorbitant and extra $ goes to defraying maintenance costs. But there's no convincing rationale for private vendors having two-tiered pricing... predatory and discriminatory, pure and simple.   

6 hours ago, gamini said:

I find posts that deliberately exagerate ' facts ' ,in order to confirm personal bias , boring .

Did you tell your friends , who visited the UK and didn't like the prices , not to go ?

Edited by joecoolfrog

20 hours ago, gamini said:

Learning the Thai language has nothing to do with accepting the dual price scamming.

The national park costs 1,000% more for a tourist / ex-pat then a Thai citizen. Comparing it to the cost of a coffee in another country is absurd. 

Boring, yet here you are commenting! How are tourists etc to learn, if not for forums like this?

Many of my posts on here are in defence of most things Thai----I do like the place, & nothing to do with rose tint glasses, been coming here for nearly 30 years--lived here 19 years. Also lived for different periods in most of the surrounding countries.

But I can not condone the dual pricing---(even though in my little hidey hole up in the Issan sticks) it rarely affects me.

Its a stain on  Thai tourism --I really do wish they would do something about it.

34 minutes ago, chrissables said:

Learning the Thai language has nothing to do with accepting the dual price scamming.

There are many strange little people on this forum who really believe that speaking the language and wearing a suit when kowtowing to the hiso will make some sort of major difference to how you are treated here.

I think it's mainly a boastful mechanism.

Edited by Old Croc

21 hours ago, gamini said:

<snip> As for the national parks 400 bt for a tourist is about the price of a coffee in their own country so they don't complain. And to me for instance, I spend twice that much on my lunch. <snip>

Not that the comparison of a cup of coffee to park entrance fees has any merit, but seriously, you pay $12 USD for a cup of coffee?

I guess P.T. Barnum was right.

On 3/20/2017 at 10:07 AM, little mary sunshine said:

Sunshine alright, you sound more like an idiot.