Switchblade Knife

bhatmasterson

I've volunteered to look for props for an upcoming play. I thought I knew exactly where to find a switchblade knife. Actually, two identical ones are needed. I've been to the Night Bazzar where I saw them a long time ago but now they don't carry them. Anyone know where to find this type of knife? As I said, they will be props in a show, so I'm not looking for quality just appearance.

Thanks

You 'might' find them in the mil-surplus shops along the north-east side, outside of the moat... the ones with the big blue plastic barrels in front. Several of these shops carry a wide array of junk knives. Perhaps you can find them there.

One more thought... There is a style of knife called 'assisted opening' which were designed to get around the laws banning automatic opening knives. Instead of a push-button or a lever, these use a protrusion on the base of the blade to pull on to start the opening sequence, and a spring inside that pushes the blade out the rest of the way. These have the opening speed of a switchblade without the complete reliance on a spring.  Unfortunately, few of the assisted-opening knives have the "look" of the old-style Italian stiletto that many folks associate with a 'switchblade' knife, if that is needed for your production.

21 hours ago, FolkGuitar said:

One more thought... There is a style of knife called 'assisted opening' which were designed to get around the laws banning automatic opening knives. Instead of a push-button or a lever, these use a protrusion on the base of the blade to pull on to start the opening sequence, and a spring inside that pushes the blade out the rest of the way. These have the opening speed of a switchblade without the complete reliance on a spring.  Unfortunately, few of the assisted-opening knives have the "look" of the old-style Italian stiletto that many folks associate with a 'switchblade' knife, if that is needed for your production.

Yes. It's the old style 'switchblade' that we are looking for. The show is from the 1950's. However, we may need to settle for something more modern as long as it's not to chunky as a lot of those that I'm seeing are. I have seen some assisted opening style that are small enough to pass. We need them quick so may have to settle for what we can get. Thanks!

23 hours ago, bhatmasterson said:

Twelve Angry Men

err ummm errr

i think he means 12 angry jurers ?

ive been to a few plays at cmis and they have all been very good

but i cant go this time coz im off to see the classic car show in pattaya

at the weekend then off looking to get some good pics of some nice moniter

lizards in bangkok for a few days ?

dave2

cmis school play 12 angry jurers poster 14 mar 17 20170314_154600.jpg

cmis school goldilocks on trial play show 21 mar 16 DSC04772.jpg

show play concert finians rainbow 29 mar 14 DSC04366.jpg

pattaya classic car show details 4 mar 17 20170304_084037.jpg

moniter lizard 3 foot lumphini park bangkok 8 feb 17 20170208_144850.jpg

moniter lizard 5 foot chatuhack park 8 feb 17 DSC05933.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

My car is better than any of those classics....:smile:

And I have no idea how we got to switchblade replicas to cars.....just use a prop for the knife...it's a very amateur production, no one is looking for exactitude here. 

8 hours ago, Trujillo said:

My car is better than any of those classics....:smile:

And I have no idea how we got to switchblade replicas to cars.....just use a prop for the knife...it's a very amateur production, no one is looking for exactitude here. 

Wrong. That's exactly what they were looking for. They needed two switchblade knives that looked exactly the same.

2 hours ago, bhatmasterson said:

The importance of the knife begins to come out at about 20:55.

This was brilliantly done! Considering these are school kids performing, this was one hell of a show! Thanks for giving us the opportunity to see it.

3 hours ago, FolkGuitar said:

This was brilliantly done! Considering these are school kids performing, this was one hell of a show! Thanks for giving us the opportunity to see it.

You are welcome. There isn't enough live theater in Chiang Mai. This is the last year for this teacher at CMIS.