passports for Thai Children

Hi And apologies if there is information already on site.
Anyhow I am led to believe that children can be put on a Thai Grandparent's passport and written permission is given by the 2 Blood parents.
If this is the case can anyone tell me the actual procedure.
Also it there an upper age limit.
Also when can Thai children have their own passport?

The reason I am asking in a year or twos time my Thai wife and the 2 granddaughters wanting to visit the UK and did hear about the written permission, but obviously in Bangkok.
Thank you very much

Only one person can be on a Thai passport. Children have to have their own passports and parental consent is needed to apply for them.

To take the children out of the country would require consent for their parents.

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

Only one person can be on a Thai passport. Children have to have their own passports and parental consent is needed to apply for them.

To take the children out of the country would require consent for their parents.

Thank you so much and someone mentioned the Legal guardian ie my Thai wife would be going. also any idea of the address  and have just the one Dept of Consular Affairs 123 Chaengwattana Road, Laksi, Bangkok 10210.  Probably a different address. Thx again

24 minutes ago, IMA_FARANG said:

Read what ubonjoe says.

He knows what he is talking  about.

Remember, if one parent is Thai and you are legally married then your children are legally Thai and are entitled to their own Thai passports

Thank you very much and yes I am legally married as a British person to my Thai wife.
Not in this case, what would happen if say no one knows where both parents are what would happen then?  Thxs again

13 minutes ago, jwest10 said:

Thank you so much and someone mentioned the Legal guardian ie my Thai wife would be going. also any idea of the address  and have just the one Dept of Consular Affairs 123 Chaengwattana Road, Laksi, Bangkok 10210.  Probably a different address. Thx again

There are passport offices in all regions of country and in Bangkok there is more than one. A list of them is here in Thai. http://www.consular.go.th/main/th/organize/21037-หน่วยบริการหนังสือเดินทาง.html

The requirements for a children under 20 years old is here in Thai. http://www.consular.go.th/main/contents/images/text_editor/files/Manual PP/under 20(update 9-9-59).pdf

4 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

There are passport office in all regions of country and in Bangkok there is more than one. A list of them is here in Thai. http://www.consular.go.th/main/th/organize/21037-หน่วยบริการหนังสือเดินทาง.html

The requirements for a children under 20 years old is here in Thai. http://www.consular.go.th/main/contents/images/text_editor/files/Manual PP/under 20(update 9-9-59).pdf

Thanks again ubonjoe

• 1 month later...
On 21/3/2560 at 1:50 PM, jwest10 said:

Thanks again ubonjoe

On 21/3/2560 at 1:45 PM, ubonjoe said:

There are passport offices in all regions of country and in Bangkok there is more than one. A list of them is here in Thai. http://www.consular.go.th/main/th/organize/21037-หน่วยบริการหนังสือเดินทาง.html

Hi  Ubonjoe

I know a Thai wife who has the same surname as her  Granddaughters, but really her daughters and she and her British husband bringing them up.
If only one Thai blood parent is contactable and possibly available to go to Bangkok is this sufficient.  

Yes appreciate all the addresses and have tried to contact by email, but no answer, but the main office appears to be  Dept of Consular Affairs

123 Chaengwattana Road, Laksi, Bangkok 10210 and realise there are others and had an email address as [email protected] and went through, but perhaps no English translator available.
Thanks again and this planning many months down the road.
Just for myself can one renew a British passport here in Thailand and last time, I used the British Embassy in Thailand, who have now stopped this procedure.
I would like to renew in Thailand, if possible and any information would be gratefully received and one never wants to send the existing one away.
Thanks again

On 21/3/2560 at 1:09 PM, IMA_FARANG said:

Read what ubonjoe says.

Remember, if one parent is Thai and you are legally married then your children are legally Thai and are entitled to their own Thai passports

On 21/3/2560 at 1:09 PM, IMA_FARANG said:

Read what ubonjoe says.

IMA_Farang If there is only one Thai and is divorced and brought up by Grandmother and really Mother with same surname who is a Thai married to a British man The 2 children are Thai and in this case only the one Thai blood parent would need to go to Bangkok, together with the Legal Guardian and the 2 children who are under 14 years old.
Thanks again

40 minutes ago, jwest10 said:

Hi  Ubonjoe

I know a Thai wife who has the same surname as her  Granddaughters, but really her daughters and she and her British husband bringing them up.
If only one Thai blood parent is contactable and possibly available to go to Bangkok is this sufficient.  

Yes appreciate all the addresses and have tried to contact by email, but no answer, but the main office appears to be  Dept of Consular Affairs

123 Chaengwattana Road, Laksi, Bangkok 10210 and realise there are others and had an email address as [email protected] and went through, but perhaps no English translator available.
Thanks again and this planning many months down the road.
Just for myself can one renew a British passport here in Thailand and last time, I used the British Embassy in Thailand, who have now stopped this procedure.
I would like to renew in Thailand, if possible and any information would be gratefully received and one never wants to send the existing one away.
Thanks again

Normally both parents need to give consent if they are both shown on the birth certificate. The absent parent can give written consent that can be notarized at an Amphoe.

I suggest you get some help with translating the info I posted earlier about the requirements to get a passport for a child under 20 since you have a complicated situation.

You have to apply for your passport in Bangkok at the Trendy building. Info here: https://www.gov.uk/overseas-passports/y/thailand/renewing_new/adult

59 minutes ago, jeab1980 said:

So what happens if there is a child living with mum and dad has been gone for a dozen years no one knows where he is. How do you go about getting a passport for the child then ?

In this situation, the mother would apply to the family court for sole custody of the child and once she has it she can apply for the child's passport without the father's consent.

I  realise it seems one has to go down to Bangkok for these passports, but are there any decent agents who can deal with this, such as the renewal pf the British passport for a fee
Thank you once again.
There is  a bit of confusion on what is needed and one can not get an application form in advance right and phtos and parents or the Legal guardian has to go down to Bangkok and is the house book required also.

7 minutes ago, jwest10 said:

I  realise it seems one has to go down to Bangkok for these passports, but are there any decent agents who can deal with this, such as the renewal pf the British passport for a fee

There are passport office located in all regions of the country. 

List of them I posted before is here in Thai. http://www.consular.go.th/main/th/organize/21037-หน่วยบริการหนังสือเดินทาง.html

They do a digital photo at the passport office when the application is done. Application form is not available on line.

The parents can grant consent to somebody to the application. This should be the form for that: http://www.consular.go.th/main/contents/files/services-20120630-195748-510034.pdf

34 minutes ago, jwest10 said:

Thank you once again.
There is  a bit of confusion on what is needed and one can not get an application form in advance right and phtos and parents or the Legal guardian has to go down to Bangkok and is the house book required also.

UbonJoe has the right answer, as always.  Show up to passport office near you, both parents w/ id's or passports, the kid(s) w/ birth certificates and the staff will take care of the rest.  If you have an infant you go to the front of the line, we have done it twice and it was very qwik and painless.  The hardest part was trying to get new born to open eyes for the photo.  

1 hour ago, 86Tiger said:

UbonJoe has the right answer, as always.  Show up to passport office near you, both parents w/ id's or passports, the kid(s) w/ birth certificates and the staff will take care of the rest.  If you have an infant you go to the front of the line, we have done it twice and it was very qwik and painless.  The hardest part was trying to get new born to open eyes for the photo.  

86 Tiger 
Thx indeed and was led to believe there are no passport offices in Kanchanaburi and maybe I am wrong, but am reading one has to go to Bangkok.
In passing can my wife at the same time get a new Thai passport at the same time as the children?
Thanks and appreciate all of your help.

11 minutes ago, jwest10 said:

Thx indeed and was led to believe there are no passport offices in Kanchanaburi and maybe I am wrong, but am reading one has to go to Bangkok.

Just checked the list and there is no passport office in Kanchanaburi. Not that far to Bangkok from there. There is more than one office in Bangkok but looking at the map the one at the Department of Consular Affairs is probebly the easiest one to get to from where you are.

51 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Just checked the list and there is no passport office in Kanchanaburi. Not that far to Bangkok from there. There is more than one office in Bangkok but looking at the map the one at the Department of Consular Affairs is probebly the easiest one to get to from where you are.

ubonjoe
Thanks yet again ubonjoe and yes have that address in Laksi, Bangkok as 123 Chaengwattana Road, Laksi, Bangkok 10210.
Yes confusing and maybe they have moved The Trendy Office appears to deal with both children and Thai and Chaeng Wattana complex. Could it be that the latter  moved but the former only deal with new British passports.