Searching for the elusive Thermometer in CM

connda

3 minutes ago, cyberfarang said:

I wouldn`t know, I don`t do visa runs. Next time you`re up there could you pick up a couple for me?

Sure. I'm there almost as often as I'm in Sanpatong. The savings are worth it. Last time I saved 11 baht.

Edited by FolkGuitar

On 3/23/2017 at 2:52 PM, FolkGuitar said:

Oops!  Right..... Outside of Kad Suen Kaew. The door nearest the outside motorbike parking.

FolkGuitar, is that real wood or mounted on wood looking plastic? Opps, didn't read far enough.  Cyberfarang answered that.  In my case that wouldn't work as I'm measuring water temperature.  Need a plastic or metal one.  However I might pick one up for use in the house.  Last year I left an oral thermometer on the table and found it off the scale.  Obviously on one of those 45 degree days we had last year.  And that was in the house.

Edited by connda

30 minutes ago, connda said:

FolkGuitar, is that real wood or mounted on wood looking plastic? Opps, didn't read far enough.  Cyberfarang answered that.  In my case that wouldn't work as I'm measuring water temperature.  Need a plastic or metal one.  However I might pick one up for use in the house.  Last year I left an oral thermometer on the table and found it off the scale.  Obviously on one of those 45 degree days we had last year.  And that was in the house.

You mean after all that, FolkGuitar and I have been entwined in a bitter feud for nothing and now we are enemies for the rest of eternity? And it`s your fault.

If you require a thermometer for testing water temperature, then your best bet would be to try pet or aquarium stores where they sell thermometers to be placed in fish tanks. I think the Amorn Electronics store at the BIG C in Hang Dong sell those.

8 hours ago, connda said:

Yes, I can see how the one I bought wouldn't work for your purposes. It is made of wood and would deteriorate quickly.  You can find a wide range of aquatic thermometers in the big aquarium shops next to Tesco Lotus/Khantiem Market. There are two or three of them at the Lotus end of the market. One right on the main street leading to the superhighway, and another few inside along the main drive in the market close to the department store end of it.

But here is another thought...  Laser or Infrared hand-held thermometer. Certainly not as cheap as the liquid models, but much more versatile. When we are 'heat-proofing' our house for the summer months we use it to find 'heat leaks' in curtains and windows, the same way we tracked down cold air leaks when living in snow country.  Instant reading from a distance, and quite accurate. Lazada sells them for 350-1,500 baht. Nana Screw here in town sells them for about 450 baht and that one works just fine for our needs. You can measure the water temperature just by pointing it and pulling the trigger. Very convenient to use.

Thermometer1.jpg

• 2 weeks later...