Thieves hit Swiss man's house stealing 500,000 in cash

webfact

5am.jpg

Picture: Manager Online

NONG KHAI: -- Half a million baht in cash was stolen from a Swiss man's house in Nong Khai on Tuesday night.

A total of five house were hit in the night time burglaries.

Suphanee Conrad, the Swiss man's Thai wife, said that she had got up in the night and noticed that a door to a bedroom was open as usual. But by morning the door was closed, Manager Online reported.

Then a neighbor came rushing in to enquire if they had been robbed because the neighbor's husband had been disturbed by a burglar in the night.

When they checked three bags that were lying about in the bedroom they found they had been the victims of theft.

They had prepared 500,000 baht in Thai money and foreign currency to complete a land purchase deal.

Now it was all gone.

The burglaries happened at the Dao Reung housing estate and are being investigated by downtown Nong Khai police.

Source: Manager Online

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-03-23

Family, wife was yacking to the family ( boasting ) about the money.

So a family member took care of it for them.

The other houses were robbed as cover for the inside job.

Edited by colinneil

I can't believe the reliance on cash in Thailand, and having to go to banks to draw out wads of cash that is then (mostly) deposited straight back in again. Cars, land, houses, all paid for in cash. Maybe fear of taxation or awkward questions about the source of the money is the reason.

The in-laws might be driving around in a big, brand new pick-up soon. 

All joking aside, it is strange that five houses in the same area reported a burglary on the same night. Were the thieves too stupid to find the right house first time round, or did they simply get lucky at the 5th house? 

1 hour ago, Classic Ray said:

I can't believe the reliance on cash in Thailand, and having to go to banks to draw out wads of cash that is then (mostly) deposited straight back in again. Cars, land, houses, all paid for in cash. Maybe fear of taxation or awkward questions about the source of the money is the reason.

You never know if the atm card is working in Thailand, the bank/money exchanger might be closed...my atm-card doesn't work on Krungsri atm's lately and i have no idea why, the bank also couldn't help me with that.

So i go to K-bank and they give me 35 baht for a euro, the thieves.

Get a house alarm. That's what we did after our night time robbery. Our situation was similar. Our house and a neighbour's house were getting some renovations done. Plenty of workers about. They talk....'must have money in the house to pay for this'. Fortunately they only took a few things and small cash. 3 other houses were also broken into but nothing was taken. Normally, our village is very quiet for break-ins. We have guards but they would be ineffective at 4am as the patrols are not frequent. 

Get an alarm (door.window sensors and movement) and lock you bedroom door at night. 

30 minutes ago, DavisH said:

Get a house alarm. That's what we did after our night time robbery. Our situation was similar. Our house and a neighbour's house were getting some renovations done. Plenty of workers about. They talk....'must have money in the house to pay for this'. Fortunately they only took a few things and small cash. 3 other houses were also broken into but nothing was taken. Normally, our village is very quiet for break-ins. We have guards but they would be ineffective at 4am as the patrols are not frequent. 

Get an alarm (door.window sensors and movement) and lock you bedroom door at night. 

A safe could be a good investment too,hidden out of sight.and bolted down.

regards worgeordie

Our house on the outskirts of Bangkok was burgled last month.

Police are blaming a gang of Colombians operating out of Pattaya. How they conclude this from a set of fingerprints is a mystery.

Told us not to expect our stolen goods to be found, because it seems those Colombians courier everything out of the country same evening.

2 hours ago, Classic Ray said:

All paid in cash when they don`t want their business transitions recorded.

4 hours ago, webfact said:

When they checked three bags that were lying about in the bedroom

Straight away ....  inside job !   check family who knew the money was there .... also check who was to receive the money ..

This smells very fishy   ...

2 hours ago, uchibenkei said:

I thought inside job too but the burglar hit 5 homes.  Might be insurance fraud if they're covered for theft.

they did 5 houses so it would look like outsiders .....   and not just go do the 500k house on it's own.

18 minutes ago, Jimbo2014 said:

Dont they have banks in Sweden??

hey Thai visa .com!!!!!

how about adding a "really really likes" button.  I really really like this one!

I guess maybe cause.... "even" in the USA.... we don't have banks anything like they have because of the money.  and their central bank now holds a nice chunk of just about every stock listed in New York... with dollahs their central bank converted from francs conjured with negative ****nominal**** rates.

that makes it really really hilarious.  and those dollahs are so precious... for a little while longer.  that's the biggest bet we will ever see. 

and just maybe why a real Central Bank decided to hold listed equities rather than US Treasuries?

ahem..... Thailand?

Edited by maewang99

Debate the issue/topic etc but do not get personal in your remarks.

7) You will respect fellow members and post in a civil manner. No personal attacks, hateful or insulting towards other members, (flaming) Stalking of members on either the forum or via PM will not be allowed.

8) You will not post disruptive or inflammatory messages, vulgarities, obscenities or profanities.

18 hours ago, webfact said:

5am.jpg

Picture: Manager Online

NONG KHAI: -- Half a million baht in cash was stolen from a Swiss man's house in Nong Khai on Tuesday night.

A total of five house were hit in the night time burglaries.

Suphanee Conrad, the Swiss man's Thai wife, said that she had got up in the night and noticed that a door to a bedroom was open as usual. But by morning the door was closed, Manager Online reported.

Then a neighbor came rushing in to enquire if they had been robbed because the neighbor's husband had been disturbed by a burglar in the night.

When they checked three bags that were lying about in the bedroom they found they had been the victims of theft.

They had prepared 500,000 baht in Thai money and foreign currency to complete a land purchase deal.

Now it was all gone.

The burglaries happened at the Dao Reung housing estate and are being investigated by downtown Nong Khai police.

Source: Manager Online

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-03-23

Is there anything called bank in Thailand?