CCTV shows Lahu teen resisting: Army

webfact

CCTV shows Lahu teen resisting: Army
By The Nation

6cd7ad46084e0ef17a08dad17b4c597f.jpeg

At a press conference yesterday, Third Army Area 3 chief LtGeneral Wijak Banpasop defends a soldier who fatally shot Chaiyapoom Pasae, a Lahu activist, in an extrajudicial killing in Chiang Mai last Friday.

Investigation of Chaiyapoom’s savings account for unusual financial activity

BANGKOK: -- CCTV recordings show a Lahu student resisting soldiers’ operations at a checkpoint where he was shot dead in an extrajudicial killing last Friday, Army officials have said.

“We have now forwarded the recordings to the Army chief General Chalermchai Sittisart,” Third Army Area 3 chief Lt-General Wijak Banpasop said yesterday. “I personally think the soldier involved did not use excessive force. He just fired one shot at an arm but the bullet happened to be fatal.”

Wijak was referring to the shooting of Chaiyapoom Pasae, a prominent teenage Lahu activist, which has attracted massive attention from the Thai public and international organisations.

Several non-governmental organisations have already issued statements demanding justice for Chaiyapoom while Preeda Nakpiew, a lawyer of the Cross Cultural Foundation, has stepped forward to defend his name.

Police have labelled Chaiyapoom as a drug suspect after Third Army Area officers said a soldier shot Chaiyapoom in self-defence because he had pulled out a knife and then a hand grenade. Soldiers manning the checkpoint in Chiang Mai’s Chiang Dao district said they later found 2,800 methamphetamine tablets in Chaiyapoom’s car.

“He’s gone and cannot speak for himself anymore. So before you raise allegations against him, produce evidence,” Preeda said yesterday.

The information provided by officials was very different than the accounts of people who were close to Chaiyapoom, he added.

Preeda said his team would check Chaiyapoom’s bank account to verify police claims that anti-narcotics police had detected unusual financial transactions in his account.

“As far as we know, Chaiyapoom had just small savings in an account he opened with his school,” Preeda said. “The amount is not huge.”

Speaking on condition of anonymity, a source said Chaiyapoom was a diligent boy who performed various activities in his free time to earn income.

“He was a speaker at various functions and got paid. He also collected forest produce for sale. Little by little, he had deposited money in his school account. Then he withdrew Bt40,000 to buy a car,” the source said.

On March 17, Chaiyapoom went out with a friend, Phongsanai Saengtala, when their car was stopped for a search at the checkpoint. Preeda said Phongsanai would be a key witness in the case.

The source said he rushed to the scene when he heard about the fatal shooting and saw Phongsanai handcuffed and crying while in the soldiers’ custody.

“I didn’t see methamphetamine tablets, a hand grenade or knife,” the source said.

Apart from the ongoing police investigation, the Third Army Area has also launched a probe in response to Chalermchai’s order.

Just as Third Army Area deputy commander Maj-General Sompong Chaengchamras, head of the probe, Wijak said he had instructed the unit overseeing the checkpoint to maintain the morale of the soldier who pulled the trigger.

“In my eyes, he just carried out his duty. If he is blamed as a villain, probably no soldiers will have the courage to take action in the future,” Wijak said, ““If I were the soldier at the scene, I might have fired several shots”.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/national/30310099

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-03-24

“I personally think the soldier involved did not use excessive force. He just fired one shot at an arm but the bullet happened to be fatal.” .....They actually said this and think that is Ok? Unbelievable.

So they have CCTV footage. Let's see the part where he is holding a hand grenade. #notholdingmybreath

What happens when people ask to see it?

"We have CCTV but this is a private/internal matter with the army. For reasons of national security, we can't make it public. But don't worry, guys. You can clearly see the soldier aimed at his arm. Believe me. I'm important"

Little bit of advice to the people in power; try to avoid these kind of news stories during the hot season. As you can see already, people are going off their nut for the most trivial of reasons. 

7 minutes ago, Katipo said:

“I personally think the soldier involved did not use excessive force. He just fired one shot at an arm but the bullet happened to be fatal.” .....They actually said this and think that is Ok? Unbelievable.

So they have CCTV footage. Let's see the part where he is holding a hand grenade. #notholdingmybreath

That is the thing.  If the young man had a grenade and a knife, deadly force would be justified, so why beat around the bush and say the soldier was aiming at the arm?  Makes no sense, but this is the land of smiles and denials.  

20 minutes ago, yellowboat said:

That is the thing.  If the young man had a grenade and a knife, deadly force would be justified, so why beat around the bush and say the soldier was aiming at the arm?  Makes no sense, but this is the land of smiles and denials.  

Would be nice to see CCTV, if its clear (doubt it) it could be useful. So far I am thinking the army used too much force, unless a knive or hand grenade can be proven. (though a hand grenade strange weapon to carry)

5 hours ago, webfact said:

officers said a soldier shot Chaiyapoom in self-defence because he had pulled out a knife and then a hand grenade. Soldiers manning the checkpoint in Chiang Mai’s Chiang Dao district said they later found 2,800 methamphetamine tablets in Chaiyapoom’s car

How convenient. 

The source said he rushed to the scene when he heard about the fatal shooting and saw Phongsanai handcuffed and crying while in the soldiers’ custody.

“I didn’t see methamphetamine tablets, a hand grenade or knife,” the source said.

How inconvenient. 

“In my eyes, he just carried out his duty. If he is blamed as a villain, probably no soldiers will have the courage to take action in the future,” Wijak said, ““If I were the soldier at the scene, I might have fired several shots”.

Hmm...good to know. 

Just now, kannot said:

yes he was holding them all in his three hands you fool!!!

Thanks for the fool comment you should change your avatar. Ain't no love of Jesus in your heart only unkindness towards your fellow man. I guess the Love of Jesus is an example of the new alternate truth. 

Just now, elgordo38 said:

Thanks for the fool comment you should change your avatar. Ain't no love of Jesus in your heart only unkindness towards your fellow man. I guess the Love of Jesus is an example of the new alternate truth. 

I thought the avatar was used in irony. 

2 hours ago, elgordo38 said:

C'mon Elgordo a  jokes a joke, and you should know theres  no  bigger  joke than "Jesus"

2 hours ago, elgordo38 said:

Thanks for reminding me that we live in an ironic world. I should practice it more I guess and join the ranks of the fools. 

Lots of  "rankers and fools "  in the world, Your'e  not one  of them mr sensitive:smile::tongue:

Just now, kannot said:

C'mon Elgordo a  jokes a joke, and you should know theres  no  bigger  joke than "Jesus"

I love a good joke its being called a fool that bothers me. Its not a term I use lightly if at all on here its to demeaning and its intent is well one has to almost be inside the body of the user to discover intent. Apology accepted. I like friends more than enemies.