Thai wife refused entry on Thai passport?

4 hours ago, Phuket Man said:

Yes. She is Thai and cannot be refused.

Do a border run and exit with UK passport and re enter with Thai passport.

Will it not be missing the entry stamp for Cambodia?

Seems correct that an entry on a UK passport should not be purposely allowed to go into overstay.

9 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Why on earth would that need to be done.

I guess to remove the Thai from the Immigration database and maybe put an entry stamp into the Thai passport.

But Immigration said this was the only way to rectify this kind of situation.

My friend is currently in the UK with his Thai born son. On return his son will receive a 30 day stamp in his UK passport.

He has been told to then obtain a new Thai passport for his son and take all the above mentioned documents to the local Imm office.

Edited by dentonian

55 minutes ago, dentonian said:

A Thai exiting Thailand should still hold the arrival part of the TM6.

There could be a situation where a Thai obtains a new Thai passport through the Thai Embassy in the UK.

On re-entry to Thailand their will be a conflict in the recorded exit ID and re-entry ID.

This is where I completely agree with UJ, to ask for a senior IO who can amend the database accordingly with the new updated information. I suspect a regular IO will be reluctant to change anything on their database.

Should keep it, but most not do..my wife never had a problem with a new passport issued wherever...

but agree to consult a superior in case of such problems 

The similar thing happened about 4-5 years ago to a lady I know, but in her case it was a Thai passport which had been issued in London, and when she unfortunately showed the IO at BKK both passports, the IO's excuse for refusing to admit her on her Thai passport was that there was no endorsement in it by the British authorities! - total nonsense. So she got a 30-day stamp in her UK passport. I advised her that she could only get it withdrawn by going back to Suvarnabhumi and seeing a senior officer, but she went along to Maptaphut (Rayong) IO, where they gave her a 1-year extension as a "former Thai citizen resuming residence", which satisfied her plans to stay for several months on that occasion. She left Thailand that time on the UK passport and ever since has entered Thailand on her Thai passport without a problem.

Unfortunately there seems to be a mindset among some Thai Immigration Officers that dual nationality should not be allowed, and if they get the chance they will interpret their powers to that effect. Never, ever, show a Thai IO 2 passports.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, dbrenn said:

She should report the official to higher ups. Thais cannot be refused entry to Thailand. 

wrong. We had the same problem some time ago. You cannot leave on one passport and return another..  Also Thai  Are not supposed to hold another passport. However, this is usually not enforced.

4 minutes ago, dentonian said:

I guess to remove the Thai from the Immigration database and maybe put an entry stamp into the Thai passport.

But Immigration said this was the only way to rectify this kind of situation.

My friend is currently in the UK with his Thai born son. On return his son will receive a 30 day stamp in his UK passport.

He has been told to then obtain a new Thai passport for his son and take all the above mentioned documents to the local Imm office.

I might be easier to get him a certificate of identity from the embassy in London and enter the country as a Thai using it.

4 hours ago, Jip99 said:

She hasn't got a visa !!

And trying to cancel her 30 day permission to stay would only create more of a hassle.

If she does a border hop on her Thai passport, wouldn't that mean her 30 day visa exempt entry in the British passport would never show she left the country.

5 hours ago, glegolo said:

just apply for a new british passport, and all done, no problems as i sees it..

That would not expunge the record of her entry on the current passport.

Best to just go to immigrations and speak to someone to correct the problem.

Edited by Suradit69
  • Like 2

She should report the official to higher ups. Thais cannot be refused entry to Thailand. 

She wasn't refused entry 'because she was using a Thai passport', she was refused entry on a Thai passport that showed that she had not left the country, she had her UK passport that she was not refused entry with.

3 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

I agree with you.

I have seen so many reports of people letting a immigration officer bluff them into using their other passport. When it happens they should take it to higher level and they will be stamped in with their Thai passport.

What would be the IO's motivation to do this?

The ONLY two ways are for her to try to get it resolved at immigration here or try to enter again via an airport with her Thai passport and then if refused take it to a higher level, to go out on her British passport and come back on her Thai passport at a land border could result in refusal with no one of sufficient authority at that border to resolve the issue, all other suggested ways of going out and in on her Thai passport mean that she still has an identical issue regardless.

• Like 1

She wasn't refused entry, she had an alternative and she entered the only legal way she could have!  Immigration can refuse if a Thai tries to enter using a passport that hasn't left the country.

4 minutes ago, gdgbb said:

She wasn't refused entry, she had an alternative and she entered the only legal way she could have!  Immigration can refuse if a Thai tries to enter using a passport that hasn't left the country.

There is no such rule, act or anything else that states that.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

I might be easier to get him a certificate of identity from the embassy in London and enter the country as a Thai using it.

He has a Thai birth certificate, ID card and is on his Mothers Tabien Baan.

I understand exactly your point.

Fly to a neighbouring Country exiting on the UK passport to clear the entry they have in that, then re-enter on the Thai passport.

That is the exact same circumstances that caused the pickle in the first place.

Immigration say it won't work because their would be no exit stamp in the Thai passport, nor record of a TM6 departure card using the Thai ID, so unless you were lucky entry would be refused using Thai ID.

You would have to show proof of the foreign ID you used to exit and an observant IO would insist you use that same ID to re-enter.

Hence a Thai citizen gets a 30 day stamp in their foreign passport and is treated as a alien.

I'm told it can only be rectified by visiting your local Imm office with sufficient documentary proof of Thai citizenship.

Edited by dentonian

8 minutes ago, dentonian said:

Immigration say it won't work because their would be no exit stamp in the Thai passport, nor record of a TM6 departure card using the Thai ID, so unless you were lucky entry would be refused using Thai ID.

You would have to show proof of the foreign ID you used to exit and an observant IO would insist you use that same ID to re-enter.

Hence a Thai citizen gets a 30 day stamp in their foreign passport and is treated as a alien.

I am not sure that is correct info.

What happens to Thais that get a new passport while out of the country? Or a child born outside the country entering with their first passport?

22 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

There is no such rule, act or anything else that states that.

No but if you have a Thai passport with no exit stamp and no TM6 arrival card, lets think of terrorists using fake ID to  enter Thailand.

I suspect there is a law that allows an IO to refuse entry if something is amiss on the database.

No record of the Thai leaving Thailand and no arrival card should arouse suspicion.

1 minute ago, ubonjoe said:

I am not sure that is correct info.

What happens to Thais that get a new passport while out of the country? Or a child born outside the country entering with their first passport?

They would have been issued by a Thai Embassy and have supporting documentation they are Thai citizens.

On arrival to Thailand they change the Thais ID number (new passport) in exactly the same manner they record our new ID when we renew a passport.

I am only reporting what Immigration have advised if a Thai finds themselves in this position. It has yet to be proven.

In almost all cases the Thai is responsible for the situation because they left using the wrong passport.

Easy to make a mistake but no so easy to rectify. TIT.

I'd bet some are confused at check in where they present their Thai passport (no Visa) and told they cannot board unless they have a valid Visa or such to enter the UK. Out comes the UK passport and then they use same to pass through Immigration.

2 minutes ago, dbrenn said:

Thai embassies and consulates all around the world issue their citizens with passports, including those Thai citizens who were born overseas and have never visited Thailand. Such passports don't have stamps, and neither do replaced passports that are lost abroad, nor passports belonging to the many thousands of arriving Thais who used the automatic gates at the airport to depart Thailand.

The official had no right to refuse entry to a Thai citizen, and was behaving ignorantly. The OP should have asked to see a supervisor and insisted that there is no law or rule that compels any Thai citizen to enter Thailand under a foreign nationality.

No but the Thai Embassy records the Thai citizen in Thailand as well as issuing a new passport.

Such situations already have a procedure laid down.

Once in Thailand, exiting on a foreign passport and then trying to re-enter on a Thai passport can result in refusal of entry on the Thai passport, but they will allow re-entry using the foreign passport used to previously exit.

Some members have already stated their experience of that.

That then creates a problem where a Thai citizen is subject to Immigration control in their own Country.

In my friends case, their Thai born son is being issued annual extensions of stay and having to make 90 day reports when staying in Thailand. Hopefully on their return from the UK they will go to Immigration as advised and rectify the situation.

In their case, his Thai passport was confiscated at Suvarnabhumi on entry by a soldier who wrongly stated he couldn't have dual nationality, so they gave him a 30 day Visa exempt stamp in his UK passport. That was 2 years ago.

3 hours ago, NoBrainer said:

Get the old Thai passport showing the exit stamp

Actually, worse case this is not such a bad suggestion, I would assume that at some point she left Thailand as a Thai on a Thai passport complete with the TM.6, immigration would have to accept a new passport with the old passport and the original TM.6 that was used for exit, even if it was from years ago.

6 hours ago, UncleE said:

BTW, most likely she will now be faced with renouncing one citizenship or the other.   You just wasted a ton of time and money getting two passports and then having to redo it all.   Shoulda Googled it and read laws on it and then taught her there must be no mistakes.

Can Thai have dual nationality?
DUAL CITIZENSHIP: NOT RECOGNIZED. Exceptions: Child born abroad to Thaiparents, who obtains the citizenship of the foreign country of birth, may retain dual citizenship until reaching the age of majority (18). At this point, person must choose which citizenship to retain.

Thailand - Dual and Multiple Citizenship

www.multiplecitizenship.com/wscl/ws_THAILAND.html

Dual citizenship - Udon Thani Thailand Forum - Udon Thani ...

www.udonmap.com › Forum › Thailand Visa & Law Issues › Thailand Law
Feb 29, 2008 - 15 posts - ‎12 authors
Generally, Thailand does not allow dual citizenship. A person who .... My Son, Has British and ThaiPassports, he is 1 year old. Last year we all ...

Not correct information.

1 hour ago, chickenrunCM said:

leave at land border with the bristish passport and enter with your thai ID card as you can use your ID card on border to Myamar and Cambodia, easy solving, then leave thailand with Thai passport

This looks as close to the 'silver bullet' solution the OP is seeking. I know that Thai's can enter Laos on their ID cards which allows them a limited duration stay where they must stay in the proximity of (say) Vientiane or Savanaket. Re-entry on the ID card would be feasible in this instance. Doing a passport 'flip' isn't possible at land borders but if re-entering Thailand using Thai ID card, there would be no need to check any passport for any Lao entry stamps. However, the only wrinkle in the blanket may be if the Thai IO at Nongkai or Mukdahan issues any other documentation that allows the Thai citizen to depart the country on their ID card? Otherwise...

Exit Thailand on UK passport.

Enter Laos on Thai ID.

Exit Laos and re-enter Thailand on Thai ID.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Phuket Man said:

Yes. She is Thai and cannot be refused.

Do a border run and exit with UK passport and re enter with Thai passport.

Dont think that will work.  She will have the same issue with no exit stamp in her Thai passport. Flying out might be her best option.

On 24.3.2017 at 4:05 PM, nss70 said:

She has just flown back to Thailand, ahead of me, and presented her Thai passport at Phuket. She was told she could not use it as there was no stamp in it for exiting Thailand. She explained the above but they said the Thai passport should have been issued in the Uk not Phuket.

They absolutely refused her her entry on it.

About one month ago we had a similar experience in Phuket, flying in from Germany. My wife had a virgin passport from the Thai Embassy in Germany and the immigration officer did not find the exit stamp as there was no.

But the situation came to an easy end because we had the old passport in our bags and I showed it to him. It was my impression that the missing stamp was raising the stress level of the officer. I thought they might not have too many of these cases - at least in Phuket. I would assume that most Thais fly via BKK into Thailand.

At least for my non professional eyes it is not possible to see how you can know if a passport is issued in/via an embassy or in Thailand. Maybe by the Passport number. The "issued by" reads "Ministry of Foreign Affairs". 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, NanLaew said:

This looks as close to the 'silver bullet' solution the OP is seeking. I know that Thai's can enter Laos on their ID cards which allows them a limited duration stay where they must stay in the proximity of (say) Vientiane or Savanaket. Re-entry on the ID card would be feasible in this instance. Doing a passport 'flip' isn't possible at land borders but if re-entering Thailand using Thai ID card, there would be no need to check any passport for any Lao entry stamps. However, the only wrinkle in the blanket may be if the Thai IO at Nongkai or Mukdahan issues any other documentation that allows the Thai citizen to depart the country on their ID card? Otherwise...

Enter Laos on Thai ID.

I'd file a complaint against immigration, and if that falls in deaf ears I'd file a complaint with the Administrative Court. Immigration has no right to deny entry to a Thai citizen.

13 hours ago, chickenrunCM said:

leave at land border with the bristish passport and enter with your thai ID card as you can use your ID card on border to Myamar and Cambodia, easy solving, then leave thailand with Thai passport

It will not work. It requires more that just an ID card to enter the other country. At some crossing a Thai ID card can used to enter no mans land between the border checkpoints.

11 hours ago, NanLaew said:

Enter Laos on Thai ID.

Not possible. A border pass is required to enter Laos and it has to be stamped on the Thai side of the border to enter Laos.