1 out of 4 people in Thailand owns their own business

Someone (@malt25) opposed my statement that 1 out of 4 people in Thailand owns their own business, and I do not have the source to back it up because the source was from a book that I don't have in my possession anymore.  

If about 10% of Americans own their own business, then what are the chance that Thai people are higher and have 25% of people owning their own business? I mean look at all those market places. Even a small little village have a huge market place. Look at all those street food shops. When one goes to the mall he will notice that there is a lot of shops over there, especially electronic ones. 

So, what do you think the number is? Can it really be that 1 out of 4 people in Thailand owns their own business?

Edited by SovietChild

Who Knows? I know there are a lot of businesses in Thai that make no money. That could account for a higher total. 

Orobably depends on on what definition of business we are using. Do little kids selling flowers late at night on school nights count as businesses? 

8 minutes ago, anotheruser said:

Who Knows? I know there are a lot of businesses in Thai that make no money. That could account for a higher total. 

Orobably depends on on what definition of business we are using. Do little kids selling flowers late at night on school nights count as businesses? 

I don't think so unless their parents registered it. 

I forgot to mention how many 7/11 out there. I'v seen 3 almost next to year other.

getting back to the market scene   in every market there is a money lender

the traders go to them borrow buy stock /   sell stock  take out living expenses and life goes on a continuous downward spiral   hardly the image of a successful trader    so these statistics   are hardly representative   of these percentages     

1 hour ago, SovietChild said:

I forgot to mention how many 7/11 out there. I'v seen 3 almost next to year other.

Yes they would amount to the number because there franchises, along with McDonald and KFC also many other business outlets e.g. cars etc.

Another example or observation would be Thais like my wife who has a small restaurant along with 35 or so others in a park area there all registered as self-employed. 

A lot of Thais have more than 1 job and do condo sales etc and drive a cab stuff like that. Most market stalls/micro business's are not registered business's and like another said; sometimes a market appears to be teeming with little stalls but the truth is 1 guy likely owns the stock/market stall space. Lends to shop worker and shop worker makes a small paypacket at end of day.

I doubt 1 in 4 Thais owns their own businesses, but I would guess that maybe a large minority of the population work for themselves, odd jobs, freelance workers and cash in hand jobs. There is a guy who generally helps with building contracts where I live but he doesn`t officially own his own business. There is a difference.

In the style of "eats shoots and leaves"... There is a lot of difference between business turnover and the turnover of a business.

I'd guess your original numbers are in the ball park though.

1 hour ago, cyberfarang said:

I doubt 1 in 4 Thais owns their own businesses, but I would guess that maybe a large minority of the population work for themselves, odd jobs, freelance workers and cash in hand jobs. There is a guy who generally helps with building contracts where I live but he doesn`t officially own his own business. There is a difference.

Yep Thailand has it's black market economy.

If you look at the number  of people that pay tax you might be correct but on the low side. There are 37 million people employed, 9 million submit tax returns but only 2,3 million pay tax. So if only 9 million submit tax returns from 37 m employed the ratio of self employed to employed maybe 3 to 1 .

I think it's possible. Not all of them make money though but that's not their purpose i guess...just to sit in aircon and be away from mummie, have food delivered or within 20 steps...

Most people who own a business have a car though..

there were 1000s more before the street selling crackdown ,

they were probably owned by the sellers and others who fronted the sellers with goods ,

but at least it paid them something ,

most of these people have no business education,........and it shows !

there were 1000s more before the street selling crackdown ,

they were probably owned by the sellers and others who fronted the sellers with goods ,
but at least it paid them something ,

most of these people have no business education,........and it shows !

You don't need a business plan selling fake everything at unbelievable mark up. Just need a calculator.

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/25/2017 at 3:02 PM, Rc2702 said:

A lot of Thais have more than 1 job and do condo sales etc and drive a cab stuff like that. Most market stalls/micro business's are not registered business's and like another said; sometimes a market appears to be teeming with little stalls but the truth is 1 guy likely owns the stock/market stall space. Lends to shop worker and shop worker makes a small paypacket at end of day.

this it not true at all;  I know many many stall owners and all they do is pay for the space in the market.

In principle yes - what I meant is, how many do it totally under the table, getting paid in cash, and declaring nothing? For example, a lot of street food vendors just put their cart there and sell food - I seriously doubt that they have a real registered company that pays taxes.

2 hours ago, SovietChild said:

I believe they all have to register. 

It's dead easy to register. Many people get family to chip in to buy stock, the foolish go to money lenders.

Near my house there was a young girl with a stall selling cold drinks. I only saw her sell one drink before she went out of business. Wrong sort of business, right next to several mom and pop shops selling same stuff, and wrong location, with very few potential customers.

However, for a while she owned her own business.

Actually, OP, it does not surprise me at all that Thailand has a higher percentage of business owners than the US.  Here are some reasons:

1.  More people in TH start their own businesses because there are fewer high paying jobs working for someone else.  In the US, you can get a high paying job that allows you to save into retirement without the risk associated with starting your own business. 

2.  Thailand doesn't offer much in government support such as social security, medicare, pensions, etc., so everyone is on their own to plan for their future.

3.  It's easier to start a business in Thailand, in terms of regulations.

The result, though, are business owners who really aren't qualified to be business owners in the first place, resulting in high failure rate.  Most business owners in the US not only love their work, but are experts in their field.  There are failures in US start-ups as well, but not as much as in Thailand.