Government wants Thailand among the world's top-3 markets in 10 years

webfact

Government wants Thailand among the world's top-3 markets in 10 years

tm.jpg

BANGKOK, 27 March 2017 (NNT) - The government has ambitious to make Thailand one of the world’s top-3 travel markets within a decade. 

Spokesman for the Prime Minister’s Office, Lt. Gen. Sansern Kaewkamnerd, said this weekend that PM Prayut Chan-o-cha has been informed of the forecast by the World Travel and Tourism Council that Thailand will replace Spain as the world’s third-largest travelers’ market by 2027. 

According to World Travel and Tourism Council, the world’s greatest numbers of travelers come from China and India. 

Lt. Gen. Sansern said that PM Prayut has recognized that achieving such a goal is ambitious in the face of global economic and political challenges. 

Nevertheless, Thailand’s domestic travel market registered one of the largest growth rates in ASEAN along side Vietnam in 2016. 

Across the globe, travel and tourism grew 3.3% in 2016 and generated 7.6 trillion dollars or 10.2% of global GDP, said WTTC. 

Gen. Prayut also asked members of the public and private sectors as well as civil society to help conserve the country’s tourism heritage and to improve the standards of the service to advance the country towards becoming one of the world’s top travel destinations as soon as possible, added Lt. Gen. Sansern.

nnt_logo.jpg
-- nnt 2017-03-27

Very ambitious indeed. I wish Thailand luck with it. I would suggest a lot more infrastructure needs to be invested and Thailand's image and reputation politically, needs a serious overhaul. I still get people asking me is Thailand safe, so a lot of worked required there.

41 minutes ago, Goanna said:

Is that floating markets?

Yes floating markets where tourists pay 200 baht to enter, thai go for flee. The marketvendors have a "special plice" for tourists.

The tourists first have to pay 220 baht for using the atm, buy a visa, pay the immigration tax (which is included in airtickets) and have to pay the taxi who won't use the metre.

Visitors for Grand Palace will have to do a boattour first cause the temple is "closed" for some hours.

For the rest nothing is wrong with thailands image, just keep the ladyboys at bay in Pattaya and bring your swimgear.

fruit; agree with everything you say; didnt mention the laughing-at-the-tourists-behind their backs; look up the definition of tourist and it will surely does not apply to all of us living here for many years (and not even leaving once) but the thais consider us expats as tourists; even the number 1 immigration guy; disturbing; he doesnt seem to make any distinction at all for living here 20 years versus 1 day visitor

7 minutes ago, thai3 said:

Top 3 for knock off copied goods is about all that is possible

And they have to import them first ...the better watches come from Taiwan and the bags from mainland china

what amazes me is these knumbskulls actually sit around and dream this up and then stand in front of the world media  and proclaim it as if it is a fact !

As well as wishing everyone good luck with this very ambitious target I would willing suggest a few ideas to help;

- Don't openly discriminate against tourists at National Parks (10 times Thai citizens)

- Make sure Taxis are accepting passengers and using their meters

- stop the scams on the beaches; jet skis, Samui taxis ........

- make sure that suitcases are not opened and items stolen at the airport

- cut down on murders and rapes tourists

- reduce the carnage on the roads making it safe for tourists to travel

etc etc

When this list is complete I can help by providing more suggestions.

1 hour ago, lonewolf99 said:

And they have to import them first ...the better watches come from Taiwan and the bags from mainland china

what amazes me is these knumbskulls actually sit around and dream this up and then stand in front of the world media  and proclaim it as if it is a fact !

They think their message is resonating with the locals. The have reached the conclusion "Brainwashing mission accomplished"

1 hour ago, Thechook said:

A good start would be for the soldiers stop ruling the country and give it back to the people.  The military should stick to marching up and down and leave politics and the economy to professionals 

I fully agree, though sadly honestly believe the "real" professionals who genuinely care and are prepared to take honest steps to grow this country are still themselves growing in test tubes, wombs or perhaps still awaiting reincarnation. I see few if any that are prepared to see be prepared to give, so that they can take later on the world stage. The concept of joint success and mutual development is not something easily understood by the current political system in any shape or form.

Getting tourists to Thailand is easy - fares are cheap, hotels are generally cheap and at face value the country is friendly. Having tourists come back, and a few investing long term in mutual success is quite another thing.

I'd love to know if there is a third/neutral body which collects the statistics independently? 

I learn many years ago never to trust figures/statistics I haven't manipulated myself. 

I wish the country the best of luck, but truthfully and unbiasedly, I find it hard to imagine them reaching that position. 

I first came here in 2001 and found it a great, friendly place which made me want to come back here the following year. In the mean time, I find the people employed in the hospitality sector - generally speaking that is - less and less friendly or helpful, usually have long, bored faces and are a tad annoying at times. Nowadays, I just want to take my holidays abroad. 

OMG, yet another vocalised dream! Out of the mouths of babes..........................

And Bangkok traffic problems were going to be solved within one month, ad infinitum ad nauseam...........

Hopefully, one day, there will be a reality check or am I just being an optimist? :whistling:

6 hours ago, webfact said:

Gen. Prayut also asked members of the public and private sectors as well as civil society to help conserve the country’s tourism heritage

What the Government want, and what the Government get are Worlds apart.

Re the above quote.....Stop the police from fleecing money from Farang Bike riders, and car drivers, while letting three and four schoolkids on a motorbike drive past with no helmet, no license, no insurance....Farang fined for having three bags of groceries in the back of a pick up with no net, while pick-ups with several Thais in the back are waved through......It really is a joke......luckily though, I enjoy living here.... otherwise it could really get depressing.....:crazy:

4 hours ago, MichaelJohn said:

As well as wishing everyone good luck with this very ambitious target I would willing suggest a few ideas to help;

- Don't openly discriminate against tourists at National Parks (10 times Thai citizens)

- Make sure Taxis are accepting passengers and using their meters

- stop the scams on the beaches; jet skis, Samui taxis ........

- make sure that suitcases are not opened and items stolen at the airport

- cut down on murders and rapes tourists

- reduce the carnage on the roads making it safe for tourists to travel

etc etc

When this list is complete I can help by providing more suggestions.

Then, pick up the trash that's everywhere, take down the millions of signs everywhere that advertise places that no longer exist, consolidate all the wires hanging everywhere, clear signs from intersections and corners, so we can see if traffic is coming, make people have proper exausts on their cars and motorbikes~cycles~to help with noise pollution, air pollution...well, just off the top of my head

5 hours ago, Thechook said:

A good start would be for the soldiers stop ruling the country and give it back to the people.  The military should stick to marching up and down and leave politics and the economy to professionals 

You mean give it back to the 0.01%?