Vandal threw 'biblical text' into a Colorado mosque -police

webfact

Vandal threw 'biblical text' into a Colorado mosque -police

By Keith Coffman

REUTERS

r6.jpg

A suspect is shown in this still photo taken from surveillance video March 26, 2017 in Fort Collins, Colorado, U.S., and provided March 27, 2017. Courtesy Fort Collins Police Services/Handout via REUTERS

DENVER (Reuters) - Investigators in Colorado searched on Monday for a man suspected of hurling a “biblical text” inside a mosque after smashing windows and a glass door of the Islamic center and overturning furniture inside, police said.

The Fort Collins Police Department said in a statement that the weekend incident was being investigated as a bias-motivated crime.

Police said the suspect, in his late teens or early 20s, carried out the vandalism at the Fort Collins Islamic Center around 4 a.m. on Sunday.

Authorities released a brief video clip captured from a surveillance camera outside the center that showed the man kicking an exterior door. Authorities appealed for the public’s assistance in solving the case.

Police Chief John Hutto said the vandalism had a “very real impact” on the city’s Muslim community.

“The criminal act against their sacred space is unacceptable,” Hutto said. “Right now, we need our community’s help identifying the suspect so he can be held accountable.”

Fort Collins is a city of about 160,000 people about 60 miles (96 km) north of Denver and is home to the flagship campus of Colorado State University.

The Washington-based Council on American-Islamic Relations, or CAIR, called for a federal hate-crimes investigation into the incident.

“Because of the use of a Bible in the vandalism, we would urge state and federal law enforcement authorities to investigate the possibility of a bias motive for this attack on a house of worship,” a spokesman for the Muslim advocacy group said in a statement.

Since the start of the year, CAIR said it had documented 34 cases of mosques vandalized in at least 12 states. The group said the attacks were "part of an unprecedented spike in anti-Muslim incidents nationwide that began during the recent presidential campaign and accelerated following the November 8 election."

A spokeswoman for the Federal Bureau of Investigation’s field office in Denver said local police were “the primary responding agency” at this point.

(Editing by Steve Gorman and Peter Cooney)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2017-03-28

Hmm 1st half of  Bible comes from Jewish texts, Quran cobbled together in large part from those two, even refer to Jews as "people of the book".... something like giving Beatles fan a copy of "Let It Be- Naked" (all Phil Spector production taken out, if you didn't know). Kicking the door in isn't good, however. 

I wonder if a conference could be put together with the 3 faiths. "My myth is better than your myth and here's why"

1 hour ago, darksidedog said:

This is what happens when you sow racial hatred. The fact that the number of incidents has risen lately is no surprise, given the rhetoric from the President and his associates.

Nothing to do with race, all races are Christian and Muslims

Edited by thai3

This is what happens when you sow racial hatred. The fact that the number of incidents has risen lately is no surprise, given the rhetoric from the President and his associates.

And what race would that be? Muslim and Christianity are religions not races.  That's like saying people from Iraq are the same race as people from Indonesia or Malaysia. 

My mistake. I meant to write religious hatred, not racial.. My thanks to those who pointed it out.

54 minutes ago, darksidedog said:

My mistake. I meant to write religious hatred, not racial.. My thanks to those who pointed it out.

Most religious hatred in the world  seems to come from "the religion of peace": though it seems i do not condone what this guy did , but it can only get worse .

My wife has become very interested in seeing a ferang church.

This has all come about through watching the various religious programmes that were shown over the Christmas period.She has become a fan of the one called 'the Jesus code'. I expect there are Christian Churches in KK city, but i really dont know which one would be best.I would like her to see the beautiful artwork depicting the saints, disciples, etc.I am, however, not too keen on her seeing the usual 'Nazerine on the cross statue' in all the Technicolour of the hand and feet wounds, and the blood from the spear in the side.Nor am i interested in answering the 'crown of thorns question.  or the INRI notice on the top of the cross.I have been interrogated by her about the visit, and when it will take place. I have tried to defer it as much as i can, but she is now threatening to go with a few of the village girls to find one.I am ok with the idea. But, i was mulling over the steps i should take, when i get a phone call from a very panicky member of the church, informing me that when he went to lock up, he found 5 pillars of salt in the Aisle.!

2 minutes ago, Panda13 said:

I don't give a flying rats ass what these religious clowns do each other, quite frankly. But they have no right to be press-ganging Atheists into fighting their wars for them .

Amen to that.

11 hours ago, i claudius said:

Most religious hatred in the world  seems to come from "the religion of peace": though it seems i do not condone what this guy did , but it can only get worse .

Well it would be nice to ban all organised religion but its not practical , just hope future generations get smarter and reject all the stupid myths.

6 hours ago, Khon Kaen Dave said:

My wife has become very interested in seeing a ferang church.

This has all come about through watching the various religious programmes that were shown over the Christmas period.She has become a fan of the one called 'the Jesus code'. I expect there are Christian Churches in KK city, but i really dont know which one would be best.I would like her to see the beautiful artwork depicting the saints, disciples, etc.I am, however, not too keen on her seeing the usual 'Nazerine on the cross statue' in all the Technicolour of the hand and feet wounds, and the blood from the spear in the side.Nor am i interested in answering the 'crown of thorns question.  or the INRI notice on the top of the cross.I have been interrogated by her about the visit, and when it will take place. I have tried to defer it as much as i can, but she is now threatening to go with a few of the village girls to find one.I am ok with the idea. But, i was mulling over the steps i should take, when i get a phone call from a very panicky member of the church, informing me that when he went to lock up, he found 5 pillars of salt in the Aisle.!

Its funny , I am a galloping atheist yet love the architecture and history of old churches , mosques and temples.

joecoolfrog

There is nothing more beautiful than the art and sculpture work in a church. I would venture to say that the Catholic churches are especially colourful.And over the years, i have visited countries such as Greece, and its islands, Spain, Italy, Sicily,  and many other Mediterranean countries, where the population is predominately Catholic,or orthodox, as in Greece. The Roslyn Church outside Edinborough, is particularly beautiful, and also, very enigmatic, when you consider its connotations to the Story of the Nazarene, as made famous by Dan Brown.Also i have visited the Church at Rennes la Chateaux Excuse the spellings) in southern France, where 'The Holy Blood and the Holy Grail' was centered around.

By comparison, i have found Jewish Synagogues to be very stark and lacking in their decorative state, but that is to be expected, because one of their commandments insists that they "make no graven images."

I have to say, that i have never been inside a mosque,because i consider most of them responsible for the radicalization of younger and more impressionable members. I do not consider the radical Muslim religion is one of tolerance,but one of horror and subjugation.However this is not a soap box for me to air my views on that subject.

I have to agree that the external architecture is quite beautiful though.

So, i agree with your comments on Churches etc.

I also have to say that i am quite disappointment with some of the modern temples here. Our village has a new one and i find it to be quite bland inside, although the outside is dazzling in its outer craftsmanship,depicting the creatures and the sweeping lines of the building itself,also the colour's and the gold leafing is fabulous.

My Church hunt has now been curtailed due to my living here for the past 17 years, but i di hear there are some churches and even a synagogue to be found in Khon Kaen, where i now live. Perhaps one day.....