Phuket van driver slapped with B500 fine for ‘reckless traffic ram’

webfact

Phuket van driver slapped with B500 fine for ‘reckless traffic ram’

Eakkapop Thongtub

1490673966_1-org.jpg

The van slammed into the side of the pickup truck while it driver, Rutsalan Jitlang, 25, was trying to overtake a car. Screengrab: CCTV footage courtesy of Tan Promedic Phuket

PHUKET: -- A Phuket commercial passenger van driver has been fined B500 for crossing the centre line in traffic and ploughing into the side of a pickup truck and then slamming into the side of a car, causing a four-vehicle pile-up in Cherng Talay on Sunday afternoon (Mar 26).

The accident occurred on the Baan Don – Cherng Talay Rd near the traffic lights at the intersection to enter the Laguna resort complex at 2pm, confirmed Lt Col Rassada Kleungwong of the Cherng Talay Police.

CCTV footage of the accident shows that the force of the impact from the van spun the pickup truck sideways and sent the canopy cover from the pickup’s bed onto the road.

The van narrowly missed a motorbike following close behind, but then slammed into the side of a car immediately after passing the motorbike. The motorbike driver could not avoid hitting the now-stopped pickup truck.

Full story: http://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-van-driver-slapped-with-b500-fine-for-reckless-traffic-ram-61569.php

tphuketnews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket News 2017-03-28

45 minutes ago, Thaiwrath said:

The word 'deterrent' should be added to the Thai dictionary.

How does anyone in their right mind, think a 500 baht fine is ever going to discourage or deter reckless driving ?

500 baht is at least a days wages for Thai's, depending on their professions, as a Farang I find the amount quite ridiculous at first, but when I look at Sydney for example, it would about the same amount, i.e. at least a days wages plus demerit points.

I think Thailand should seriously look at the same system, for thos accident the driver would have lost 3 points out of the 12 points and would have t wait 3 years for those points to come back, the more points he loses during those 3 years could mean no licence.

On top of having drivers obtain L plates and P plates as other countries do and not allow people to get their drivers licences 1st go without having been a Learner driver for 12 months & a Provisional driver for 2 years before getting their blacks (Licence).  

Edited by 4MyEgo

Absolutely awful driving and it cost just 500 Baht to be on his way. Lucky no one was killed.

With Amulets on the dashboard "saving lives" and such paltry fines, I now understand why there is such continuous carnage on the roads here.

1 hour ago, 4MyEgo said:

500 baht is at least a days wages for Thai's, depending on their professions, as a Farang I find the amount quite ridiculous at first, but when I look at Sydney for example, it would about the same amount, i.e. at least a days wages plus demerit points.

I think Thailand should seriously look at the same system, for thos accident the driver would have lost 3 points out of the 12 points and would have t wait 3 years for those points to come back, the more points he loses during those 3 years could mean no licence.

I imagine in Australia, or many other western countries, you would be looking at losing your license at a minimum, for that kind of reckless driving. A 500 baht fine is woefully insufficient as a deterrent.

There is absolutely nothing in the way of a deterrent here, and both the local governments, the central government (weak Little P.) and the police do not take traffic safety seriously. Not even one iota. The safety of the public means less than zero to the small men in charge here. Nothing. They show that on a daily basis.

Little P. - moving Thailand backwards at an alarming and astonishing pace. 

45 minutes ago, neverere said:

I imagine in Australia, or many other western countries, you would be looking at losing your license at a minimum, for that kind of reckless driving. A 500 baht fine is woefully insufficient as a deterrent.

Unlikely, unless there was DUI involved.

51 minutes ago, neverere said:

Absolutely correct. Many of us do not want to see Thailand turned into a police state. But, there has to be some balance. Somewhere in the middle, maybe. Some law enforcement. Something. Instead the toy police continue to allow the mayhem to happen, and it falls entirely on their shoulders, and that of the little man in Bangkok. 

2 hours ago, neverere said:

To lose your license in Oz you wouldn't have to be way over the limit, as for this guys reckless driving, well they would consider it an accident, you know the old story, officer this kid ran out in the road and I swerved and I couldn't avoid hitting the van and car, as for the kid, I have no idea where he is, 3 demerit points and a fine.

500 baht? Ay carumba. No incentive to change with fines that low. Reminds me of the $5 speeding tickets back in my home state. Just don't get caught speeding at night, those were pretty stiff fines.

8 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Absolutely correct. Many of us do not want to see Thailand turned into a police state. But, there has to be some balance. Somewhere in the middle, maybe. Some law enforcement. Something. Instead the toy police continue to allow the mayhem to happen, and it falls entirely on their shoulders, and that of the little man in Bangkok. 

Oh My My a police state, now thats the joke of the year, pray tell what is it now I really want to know?

He should at least loose his job with that minibus operator and be black listed as a driver.

But this will never happen.  Unless insurance cover company steps in and looks at who is driving and record.  

As for that pickup - that canopy could not have been secured to the back bed.Just fell off.