Triumph Bobber - Thumbs up or down??

As always - what do you want the bike to do ?  The one above, with solo seat, seems designed for Profiling. Pipes I am sure provide limited ground clearance, so not too good in the curves. Does it look good ?  Personal choice. For that price - no thanks. IM not so HO

Would I like to own one? Yes absolutely.

Would I buy one? Nope.

Imho it got nice style and especially the seat is very cool. Should sound nice as well. But too limited functionality without even a pillion seat.

I road tested a bobber and the new Street Scrambler a few weeks ago in England, the 900 in the scrambler was a good engine and suited it fine. The 1200 in the Bobber is superb and a 6 speed box against the scramblers 5. Wonderful torque and instant pickup, both handled well.

But the bobber just wasn't my style, however they are selling very well. I'll like a T120 with that spanking lump in it !. Cheers

6 minutes ago, sebastion said:

Much nicer than the HD 48 sportster but bikes like this have no place on Phuket roads. If I lived in the mountains of Chaing mai I'd be all over this bike.

You would be easy to track - just follow the skid marks you left on the corners -

Cycle World test ride ... Triumph didn't have figures on cornering clearance, but it ranges somewhere between a little more than you think and "oh crap, I keep hitting it."

http://www.cycleworld.com/2017-triumph-bonneville-bobber-is-awesome-stylish-first-ride-review#page-10

I think it's the best looking "modern retro" by a long way. Stunningly good looking in fact.

But the small tank and single seat limit it's usefulness for me. It's a shame as it's supposed to be great to ride, but the cool factor and lack of practicality might push the bike a bit too far into Starbucks hopping, latte sipping, Hipster territory for my liking.  

3 hours ago, canthai55 said:

3 inches of suspension travel. Poser for sure.

# Wot, and a trad HD Skirtster has more?

That's 3" of monoshock suspension, not twin shock.

# The reviews (inc Stateside) i've read rave about everything including it's handling,  except the std front brake apparently is'nt that great.

# My view is it will sell like hot cakes worldwide, will be a huge earner for the factory, but for me, it's just trying too hard. If i was in the market for a 2017 Hinkley 1200 twin i'd buy the stock 60's looking 1200 or the Thruxton and stick normal bars on it. Gettin' old...

I think it's the most beautiful bike currently on sale WW, you call call my hipster, hopster or whatever, I don't care, I absolutely loooooooooove it.

Admitted, I haven't seen it the flesh yet, read that it's quite small (as the 48HD), which sucks for me (app 186cm). 

Practical, no not at all, that tiny 9lit tank will get to you soon enough (I hate fueling up. I don't mind the solo seat as my wife never go with me anymore since our son was born 7 years ago. 

I will likely get a Triumph twin as next bike; I don't ride much anymore, just small 1 days blasts in the Pattaya area with a 3day trip to Koh Chang now and again. 

Street Twin has my interest (the 900cc engine) and off-course the T-120 and Mr Bob is no1 on the list but the problem is that I need to try them out first and still no dealer in Pattaya, hmm. 

If I can live with the grunt from the 900cc engine, I might get myself one of those, but my current bike (Versys650 mk3) got 69hp (claimed) and the 900cc got what? 54 but okay the torque man, the torque, lets not forget that.

The Triumph Twins huge sales clearly shows that many people are looking beyond spec sheets when buying a bike, many prefer a real looking bike and not something filled with plastic so you can go over 300 km/h without blowing off. 

It gets 77hp and looks so sweet. I thought the RE would be it but this. Tell the ole lady this is my bike......570,000bht.....get over it. What a bike. I'd have to guess this will be a winner among many Thais with some bht. I'm sold. Don't like the idea of H2o cooled but I'll get over it.

Guzzi850,  agree with you.

I sold my ER6N and got the Street Twin instead. The ER was a good bike, I liked it, but I didn't love it.

The ST on the other hand, is how a bike should look like, in my opinion. It's a pleasure to ride and it's just a beauty. Go for it!

On 4/1/2017 at 7:40 PM, guzzi850m2 said:

I think it's the most beautiful bike currently on sale WW, you call call my hipster, hopster or whatever, I don't care, I absolutely loooooooooove it.

Admitted, I haven't seen it the flesh yet, read that it's quite small (as the 48HD), which sucks for me (app 186cm). 

Practical, no not at all, that tiny 9lit tank will get to you soon enough (I hate fueling up. I don't mind the solo seat as my wife never go with me anymore since our son was born 7 years ago. 

I will likely get a Triumph twin as next bike; I don't ride much anymore, just small 1 days blasts in the Pattaya area with a 3day trip to Koh Chang now and again. 

Street Twin has my interest (the 900cc engine) and off-course the T-120 and Mr Bob is no1 on the list but the problem is that I need to try them out first and still no dealer in Pattaya, hmm. 

If I can live with the grunt from the 900cc engine, I might get myself one of those, but my current bike (Versys650 mk3) got 69hp (claimed) and the 900cc got what? 54 but okay the torque man, the torque, lets not forget that.

The Triumph Twins huge sales clearly shows that many people are looking beyond spec sheets when buying a bike, many prefer a real looking bike and not something filled with plastic so you can go over 300 km/h without blowing off. 

you a hipster, sure

Definitely more hopster than hipster!

Having sat on the bike I think it would be OK for a tall guy. The seat is adjustable and can be moved backwards and the pegs are quite far forward. It's very low, but the position of the bars and pegs means it doesn't feel cramped at all. Quite roomy in fact.

5 hours ago, JonnyF said:

Definitely more hopster than hipster!

Having sat on the bike I think it would be OK for a tall guy. The seat is adjustable and can be moved backwards and the pegs are quite far forward. It's very low, but the position of the bars and pegs means it doesn't feel cramped at all. Quite roomy in fact.

Yea I sat on it as well. Didn't feel uncomfy and I'm not a short guy. But ones back is slightly bent in a position that I think wouldn't be comfy or healthy in the long run :) No issue for 1-2h rides I'm sure. Oozing with cool.

• 9 months later...

I own a Bobber and just love it! I've been riding Harleys of 40 years and now i'm a triumph fan, the bike handles superb i keep up with my Truxton buddies no problem even gave a few Ducati monster riders a run for their money, could have gone longer but after about 15km on mountain roads my nerves were getting shattered. The front brake could use some improvement the 2018 Bobber Black has duel Brembos.I have the mini ape hangers installed and like it even more

Hello Thaiguzzi.

I'm waiting for the New Speedmaster which should be here in March.Slightly bigger tank, pillion seat, same engine twin discs etc.I have sat on a Bobber and it's not bad. I look like a bear on a bicycle on it, but that's ok.Just not practical for me.

6 hours ago, findlay13 said:

Hello Thaiguzzi.

I'm waiting for the New Speedmaster which should be here in March.Slightly bigger tank, pillion seat, same engine twin discs etc.I have sat on a Bobber and it's not bad. I look like a bear on a bicycle on it, but that's ok.Just not practical for me.

The Speedmaster is definitely very interesting and and also find the improvements as you said above very good/practical, I will check out out as soon as possible.

However the new Kawasaki Z900RS is also looking very nice and is just under 500K baht and 110hp, so I will check that out as well. Lovely bike too.

Hmm, so many nice bikes to be had now.

In the end I might just keep what I have, the older I am getting the more important the seating position is, and I can't afford a bike just to go to the coffee shop, I need an all in all bike, so to speak. 

Yep.I know exactly what you meanI've a knee that doesn't bend from a car knocking me off my 650cc Triumph Tiger in 1971.The other knee is going out in sympathy these days so I need forward controls which the new speedmaster has.I bought a set of Hyde controls for my 2007America recently which brings them back 4" a good compromise for me between forward and mid-mount controls.Improves handling too.

The Speedmaster seems to be giving up just a bit of coolness and style for a lot more practicality if you ever intend to take a pillion. Sweet bike, I love the attention to detail that Triumph puts into their bikes. The only thing I don't like about it is the weight. Only found dry weight but it should be over 260kg ready to ride - nearly 20kg more than my DCT Africa Twin :o

My America weights about 240kg wet and has 56.4 HP at the back wheel,  so a New Speedmaster at 260kg would be heavier certainly . 77 HP quoted  would be at the crank I imagine  so maybe that isn't that much of an upgrade, but the torque is about 50% more I believe,which would be good.Throw in a new map,air filter, and open the pipes a bit and we may  see a nice bike.

I visited the soon to open Triumph dealer in Pattaya, shop is almost completed, a huge shop, very nicely designed. Finally been waiting for a long time for one.

I sat on a Bobber and it is defiantly too small for me, Speedmaster perhaps, the T120 is okay for me, think I could live with that one.

I talked to the general manager Khun Tomm, a very nice guy, he got a Bobber himself. He did a trip from Patts to Changmai and got very tired of the Bobbers short range, app 140km per tank he got out of it because he rides it hard and also have to consider reserves. They sold over 40 Triumphs in about 1 month, app 80% Thais and the rest expats. 

10 hours ago, guzzi850m2 said:

I visited the soon to open Triumph dealer in Pattaya, shop is almost completed, a huge shop, very nicely designed. Finally been waiting for a long time for one.

I sat on a Bobber and it is defiantly too small for me, Speedmaster perhaps, the T120 is okay for me, think I could live with that one.

I talked to the general manager Khun Tomm, a very nice guy, he got a Bobber himself. He did a trip from Patts to Changmai and got very tired of the Bobbers short range, app 140km per tank he got out of it because he rides it hard and also have to consider reserves. They sold over 40 Triumphs in about 1 month, app 80% Thais and the rest expats. 

When i first got my Bobber fuel milage was pretty poor, now that the motor is nicely broken in my mileage is much better, I get around 180km per tank just cruising and 160 to 170km riding hard. The Bobber is what it is, I personally enjoy riding it, although i am looking forward to riding the new speedmaster with the pillion seat you know the old saying happy wife happy life!!!

Archived