Dexa (bone density x-ray) scan in Pattaya

Guderian

When I was back in the UK my GP told me to get a Dexa (bone density x-ray) scan done. I was back for 6 weeks and he said it would be plenty of time for the local hospital to arrange it, but in the end it was over two months before they contacted me about the scan and by then I was back in Thailand.

Rather than mess about trying to get it done by the NHS the next time I go back I’d rather have it done privately here in Pattaya. Can anybody tell me which hospitals can do this in our area, and which would be the cheapest? Any personal experiences, good or bad, with getting a Dexa scan done in Pattaya and environs would be appreciated,

Thanks.

32 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

Should not be that expensive but do not recall exact price - both I and wife had done at Vejthani Hospital in Bangkok some years ago.  It is a standard test in the execitive healthcare department (general medical tests).  Very fast and simple test.

https://www.vejthani.com/web-thailand/Osteoporosis.php

I had one done over a decade ago, back in the days when the NHS could organise an appointment within less than a month. I'm specifically looking for a hospital in the Pattaya area though, I don't want to travel all the way to Bangkok. It's not exactly rocket science so I don't see any point in paying over the odds just so some cute nurse can take my blood pressure in somewhere like Bangkok Hospital Pattaya. I'm just looking for a hospital that can do this scan and is reasonably priced.

I have had Dexa scans done at Samitivej Hospital in nearby Sriracha. The cost was a little over 3,000B. The scan included lumbar spine, left hip, and left forearm. I received a summary report and detail picture copies of the three scanned areas. You can just walk in and get it done.

On 02/04/2017 at 8:37 AM, angsila said:

I have had Dexa scans done at Samitivej Hospital in nearby Sriracha. The cost was a little over 3,000B. The scan included lumbar spine, left hip, and left forearm. I received a summary report and detail picture copies of the three scanned areas. You can just walk in and get it done.

Thanks, that sounds like what I'm looking for. I've never been to Samitivej but the GF comes from Laem Chabang just down the road so I'm sure she'll know Sri Racha and where the hospital is located.

On 01/04/2017 at 0:03 PM, Sheryl said:

I think the only place in Pattaya likely to have this equipment is BPH.

https://www.bangkokpattayahospital.com/en/healthcare-services-en/health-promotion-center-checkup-en.html

Thanks Sheryl. BPH was my fall-back option if nothing cheaper was available. I'm sure they can do it but you can't accuse them of being cheap any more.

22 hours ago, THAIPHUKET said:

Is there not a simple bone density test whereby it is measured on the arm wrist?

The Dexa scan usually measures bone density in a couple of places, the pelvis was one as I recall. I can't remember the other(s), it was over a decade ago, after all. If I can get it done for 3000 Baht at Samitivej as angsila says above then I'll be very happy.

Phyathai Sri Racha has a special this month which provides bone density scan as part of a larger check up package that also includes the usual blood work etc. If you haven't had a general check in the last year or two may be worthwhile for you, total including the bone density scan is 3,990.

·         Physical examination
·         Vital signs
·         Body mass index
·         Visual acuity test
·         Short & long sight
·         Chest x ray
·         Electrocardiogram
·         Ultrasound of the whole abdomen
·         Urine examination
·         Complete blood count
·         Fasting blood sugar
·         Cholesterol
·         Triglyceride
·         HDL
·         LDL
·         Kidney function test
·         Liver function test
·         Uric acid
·         Osteoporosis bone density investigation
·         Check up report
·         Total cost = 3,990 Baht

Can add on an exercise stress test for 2,700.

I don't know what the bone density scan alone would cost but from the package price I would guess less than 3,000.

15 hours ago, Sheryl said:

Phyathai Sri Racha has a special this month which provides bone density scan as part of a larger check up package that also includes the usual blood work etc. If you haven't had a general check in the last year or two may be worthwhile for you, total including the bone density scan is 3,990.

·         Physical examination
·         Vital signs
·         Body mass index
·         Visual acuity test
·         Short & long sight
·         Chest x ray
·         Electrocardiogram
·         Ultrasound of the whole abdomen
·         Urine examination
·         Complete blood count
·         Fasting blood sugar
·         Cholesterol
·         Triglyceride
·         HDL
·         LDL
·         Kidney function test
·         Liver function test
·         Uric acid
·         Osteoporosis bone density investigation
·         Check up report
·         Total cost = 3,990 Baht

Can add on an exercise stress test for 2,700.

I don't know what the bone density scan alone would cost but from the package price I would guess less than 3,000.

Thanks, I get quite a few items from that lot checked out every year when I'm back in the UK, but I'll keep it in mind as an alternative to  Samitivej just in case.

I thought I’d round this topic off with a summary of what I found out incase anybody else is looking for a Dexa scan. Happily for me Samitivej are doing a promotion during April of 1,500 THB for measuring bone density in the hip and spine. The normal price for the whole area : forearms, lumbar and hip is 4,940 THB. Nevertheless, if you want to test only for specific part, it will cost 2,600 THB per each part.

Gavin at Phyathai also suggested the health promotion package posted by Sheryl earlier. The densitometry scan alone plus doctor's fee and hospital service charge = 3,500 baht.

Bangkok Hospital in Pattaya are, as I suspected, quite a bit more expensive than these two. The hip and lumbar scan covered by the 1500 Baht promotion at Samitivej was quoted at 5,100 Baht. They also suggested an OPD appointment for assessment of the best treatment first priced at 1000-1500 Baht.

The promotion at Samitvej suited me fine and that’s what I went for. I just turned up around midday and was registered and scanned in less than an hour. Seeing a doctor for the results took a bit longer but I was very happy to hear that everything’s normal and there’s no bone density loss. The hospital was very pleasant and the staff all courteous and helpful, but I expect that would be the case at the other two hospitals as well.

So thanks again to angsita for suggesting Samitivej and thanks to everybody else for your helpful replies. I’m very happy with the outcome here.

One general comment: if you’re going to a hospital in Sri Racha allow plenty of time, the traffic on Sukhumvit is appalling and the traffic lights make Pattaya look like a model of good urban planning.

12 hours ago, Sheryl said:

Thanks for the update. 1,500 is indeed an excellent price for a bone density scan.

Yes, I was very happy with it.

The staff in Sri Racha didn't seem to be aware of the promotion but I had a copy of the e-mail I received from their enquiries desk stating the prices and once I gave them that there were no problems. I'd wondered if they'd add on a few hundred Baht for things like taking my weight and blood pressure, as they do in Bangkok Pattaya hospital, but given how cheap the scan was I didn't really intend arguing. In the end there were no additional charges at all, it was a straight 1500 Baht for everything. So well done Samitivej!