Thai lottery fever - villagers flocking for numbers as magical tree trunk surfaces

webfact

Thai lottery fever - villagers flocking for numbers as magical tree trunk surfaces

4pm.jpg

Picture: 77Jowo

NAKHON PHANOM: -- Lottery fever is rife in Nakhon Phanom in Thailand's north east after a tree trunk with "magical" properties came to light.

The tree trunk - called Ton Takhian" in Thai - is believed to be inhabited by a spirit. If you are nice to her she will give you the

lottery numbers and you will be rich and never have to worry again, 77Jowo reported.

Apparently there is ample proof of the five meter long trunk's power to change lives - three people already have got 100,000 baht prizes.

Now everyone is convinced and people are flocking from all around to the site of the trunk in Ban Phon Ngam, Na Sai district.

A table has been set up so that people can make offerings and there are lots of lottery ticket vendors doing a roaring trade.

One hopeful woman said that she intoned a few prayers and rubbed the trunk and the number 45 appeared. Another did the same thing and got 245 as well as 45.

So they cleared out the local lottery vendors buying up all of that number.

"We'll have to go into town to get some more" said one man.

The log appeared after a backhoe was doing some work on land belonging to a 64 year old woman called Toon Khunsiri who is thought to be one of the beneficiaries of the spirit's benevolence.

Source: 77Jowo

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-03-31

40 minutes ago, Thaiwrath said:

The lucky number is 5.

Not the tree length in metres, but the total I.Q of these numbnuts who believe in the 'magical properties' !

They arranged IQ tests here in school...  out of my 35 students (MEP students) 8 scored in the 70-89 range (borderline to below average), the rest of them scored 80-109 (low average to average)... so I now have no need to wonder why they have problem learning any of the subjects that they are studying!
Among the 50 teachers only 3 scored over 120 and I was the only one over 130 with my 138... my IQ has dropped 5 points sin's I moved to Thailand!?!?

3 minutes ago, Kasset Tak said:

They arranged IQ tests here in school...  out of my 35 students (MEP students) 8 scored in the 70-89 range (borderline to below average), the rest of them scored 80-109 (low average to average)... so I now have no need to wonder why they have problem learning any of the subjects that they are studying!
Among the 50 teachers only 3 scored over 120 and I was the only one over 130 with my 138... my IQ has dropped 5 points sin's I moved to Thailand!?!?

Mine has dropped 5 point, when I read this story!

When you are so desperate to put all your hopes in a rotting tree trunk that only "surfaced" because the water level is sinking due to the approaching annual drought, your life either must be pretty shitty or you're simply a numb nut. Or both. 

1 hour ago, DM07 said:

Mine has dropped 5 point, when I read this story!

So what, is you IQ still below average, average or over average?!
I know that I'm above average but I usually don't boast about it and I mentioned it in my post just as a comparison between me, my coworkers and my students. And yes, 10 years ago I was scoring 143-145 on the tests and now I'm scoring 138-140 on the tests, I don't know if it's because I'm getting older or if it's environmental?!

I only studied until I got my BA degree because I had to start working while comparing to my coworkers here, over 25 having their MA and 5 have PhD.'s my education is quite low. But then you compare me and what I do with my coworkers you see another side, I'm teaching: animal science, animal feed, animal raising, feed crop production, occupational safety, principles of agriculture, computer, marketing, accounting, mechatronics and so on in English, while 90% of my coworkers can't even teach anything outside their field of studies, they even have problem comprehend anything outside their field of studies even if I give them the information or have the discussion in Thai! One example is that last year CP gave us 200 geese, in the end they all died because the teacher who was set to take care of them didn't know what to do... he has a MA in poultry raising and still didn't know what to do or where/how to find the information needed from either a book or internet!?

Edited by Kasset Tak

Most people in Asia would eat cow shit if someone done that and reported that was what they did before their big lottery win.I can see it now ,as not a pasture or rice patty would be naturally fertilized in Thailand because the villagers would be following the cows around collecting their shit and selling some of it to the city dwellers.Psst" Hey city boy,Want some buffalo shit? I hear that its even more lucky for this week" ?

3 hours ago, Kasset Tak said:

So what, is you IQ still below average, average or over average?!
I know that I'm above average but I usually don't boast about it and I mentioned it in my post just as a comparison between me, my coworkers and my students. And yes, 10 years ago I was scoring 143-145 on the tests and now I'm scoring 138-140 on the tests, I don't know if it's because I'm getting older or if it's environmental?!

I only studied until I got my BA degree because I had to start working while comparing to my coworkers here, over 25 having their MA and 5 have PhD.'s my education is quite low. But then you compare me and what I do with my coworkers you see another side, I'm teaching: animal science, animal feed, animal raising, feed crop production, occupational safety, principles of agriculture, computer, marketing, accounting, mechatronics and so on in English, while 90% of my coworkers can't even teach anything outside their field of studies, they even have problem comprehend anything outside their field of studies even if I give them the information or have the discussion in Thai! One example is that last year CP gave us 200 geese, in the end they all died because the teacher who was set to take care of them didn't know what to do... he has a MA in poultry raising and still didn't know what to do or where/how to find the information needed from either a book or internet!?

I never had my IQ tested, so...don't know, don't care!

By the way...I meant the OP...not your response!

10 minutes ago, Artisi said:

That makes mine genius  in comparison to the average. 

It makes me able to order a beer at Friday's Happy Hour!

...which I will prove now!

Have a good weekend, y'all!

On 31/03/2017 at 6:06 AM, webfact said:

The log appeared after a backhoe was doing some work on land belonging to a 64 year old woman called Toon Khunsiri who is thought to be one of the beneficiaries of the spirit's benevolence.

Sells lottery tickets, does she?

On 3/30/2017 at 9:18 PM, idman said:

I love reading stories like this. Once again the idiotic thinking of Thais is on display. Perhaps next some enterprising Thai will start to read the entrails of road kill and claim they have revealed the elusive lottery numbers. Is it any wonder why we never take this country seriously?.

Sent from my SM-T805 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Hardly unique to Thailand...

"President Reagan and his wife, Nancy, are both deeply interested in astrology, the White House spokesman, Marlin Fitzwater, said today, and two former White House officials said Mrs. Reagan's concerns had influenced the scheduling of important events.

A California astrologer said she had been consulted by the Reagans regarding key White House decisions, but Mr. Reagan said astrology had not influenced policy."

http://www.nytimes.com/1988/05/04/us/white-house-confirms-reagans-follow-astrology-up-to-a-point.html