Taxi drivers getting a rough ride from rival services and bad publicity

rooster59

Taxi drivers getting a rough ride from rival services and bad publicity

By The Nation

4bbc68aae9a9f1b2e7ec3b6670ceafc0-sld.jpeg

Thai taxi drivers have been facing difficult times lately, with rival Uber services impacting on their business amid a flow of negative publicity.

Earlier this week, a video clip went viral on social media showing a fierce female taxi driver rudely chasing her passengers out of her cab. A young boy in the cab burst into tears because of her aggressive behaviour, and fell down as she roughly forced the boy’s family out of the vehicle. 

The clip has delivered another blow to the diminishing popularity of taxi services. 

On Wednesday, a survey revealed that more than 70 per cent of respondents expressed support for the ride-sharing Uber and GrabTaxi apps, saying they could be alternatives that would prompt normal taxis to improve their services.

Asked to name problems related to taxi services, 85.5 per cent said taxi drivers often refused to carry passengers, 42.4 per cent said taxi drivers intentionally increased fares by taking longer routes, and 35.2 per cent said drivers were very impolite.

The viral video clip portrayed the female taxi driver in such a bad light that Metropolitan Police Commissioner Pol Lt-General Sanit Mahathavorn told his subordinates that she should be brought to justice fast. “We will make sure she pays for all her past actions too,” he said. 

The driver has been identified as Pussadee Anchanpas.

According to the Bang Khen Police Station’s superintendent Pol Colonel Amnart Intasuan, at least one arrest warrant has been issued for her. 

The warrant is related to a 2015 incident in which she chased her passengers out of her cab and sped away with their valuables.

“We suspect that it’s not the only offence this driver has committed,” Amnart said. He also urged people to alert police if they knew her whereabouts. 

The Land Transport Department has also acted on Pussadee’s case, checking her background and dispatching officials to her registered residence in Samut Prakan’s province to find her. 

Pussadee’s driving licence expired on December 29, 2015.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/national/30310963

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-04-01

9 minutes ago, rooster59 said:

According to the Bang Khen Police Station’s superintendent Pol Colonel Amnart Intasuan, at least one arrest warrant has been issued for her. 

The warrant is related to a 2015 incident in which she chased her passengers out of her cab and sped away with their valuables.

They can't even arrest a licensed taxi driver?  Unreal. 

13 minutes ago, rooster59 said:

Asked to name problems related to taxi services, 85.5 per cent said taxi drivers often refused to carry passengers, 42.4 per cent said taxi drivers intentionally increased fares by taking longer routes, and 35.2 per cent said drivers were very impolite.

Well sure, but look at the up-side, they always turn the large amounts of cash left in their cabs over to the police. Honest to a fault, salt of the earth:sorry:

To be a Thai taxi driver you only have to have 2 legs and 2 arms, the rest is

optional, including the brains, this knuckle dragging attitudes and behavior

has to stop, but it seems that no government agency want to handle those

baboons....

Last night, leaving Tawandang Rama 3 around midnight, at least 8 taxis refused to take us to Asoke.  One even claimed he never heard of Asoke.

The really sad thing is that the officials in this country seem more interested in supporting the bad ways of these scumbag drivers than in solving the problem.  Bring on Uber and let them run the 'official' taxis into the ground.  It will serve them right.

So she has had an arrest warrant out for her for 2 years, but hasn't been arrested, no driving license since December 2015 but drives a cab for a living!

And only when a social media report goes viral do the authorities actually get round to doing something about it.Truly Amazing!

9 minutes ago, darksidedog said:

So she has had an arrest warrant out for her for 2 years, but hasn't been arrested, no driving license since December 2015 but drives a cab for a living!

And only when a social media report goes viral do the authorities actually get round to doing something about it.Truly Amazing!

Another fallout from the massive corruption here.

Just now, darksidedog said:

Massive incompetence might also be a factor.

I lean towards corruption.  Get caught doing something wrong (no license, run red light, don't pickup passengers, etc, etc, etc)?  A small payment makes it go away.  No worries.

4 hours ago, ezzra said:

To be a Thai taxi driver you only have to have 2 legs and 2 arms, the rest is

optional,

not even that seems mandatory

about 8 or 9 years ago, I encountered a driver of a metered cab in BKK who had only one arm. poor guy. But the license did not show his photo, it was the photo of someone else.

Not that I was impressed......

I have been in thailand for some time and whenever I go to Bangkok I NEVER take a taxi unless it is absolutely necessary, when I arrive I take an 800 baht limo, and when I leave I take a hotel limo for approximaely 800 baht. when I used to hail a taxi to go to the Air port most of the driers refused to use the meter and wanted anywhere from six hundred to eight hundred, so now I stand on the street waiting for my limo and every taxi that stops to ask me if I want i ride, i just look at them for a minute and than wave them on! makes me feel good!

Thai taxi drivers must be some of the worst in the world, I'm so tired of hearing the trip I want to make is too short or too far or there's too much traffic. If I'm going to or from the airport its going to have to be without the meter. I going to be trying Uber and GrabTaxi very soon.

The taxi drivers are too much supported from the agencies responsible for the taxi service ...

And thais have no idea of "customer service"

So there must be soonest competition on the taxi services!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!