Penang and pnom Penh still ok for SETV?

I need to get a SETV in May.

My passport has two SETV's, one from Ho Chi Minh and one from Vientiane + multiple exempt entries.

I usually stay 10 to 11 weeks in Thailand, then 10 weeks in my home country.
I enter Thailand on an exempt entry for 30 days, then get a SETV, return to Thailand for another 6 to 7 weeks.

Is this going to give me any problems getting a SETV in Penang or Pnom Penh?

How many days does it take at each location to get a SETV?

Thanks

14 minutes ago, Wallet73 said:

Is this going to give me any problems getting a SETV in Penang or Pnom Penh?

How many days does it take at each location to get a SETV?

No problem to get the visa.

Penang apply the morning of one day and pickup the next afternoon.

At Phnom Penh it can take up to 3 days unless you use an agent.

2 hours ago, Okis said:

No financial proofs, but both Penang and PP requires a print on booking for a and onwardticket from thailand.

Phnom Penh allowed financial-proof in lieu of an exit-ticket a few months ago - not sure if this has changed.  A balance of $1000+ USD was recommended for "no hassle" service.  Beats buying a throwaway planet-ticket.  They did copy my entire Thai bank-book, though - probably so it was evident that my income originated from foreign-transfers.

Just use an agent in PP. I recommend the one next to the Paddy Rice Irish Pub on the river side of St 136. $5 for the visa plus another $5 if you don't have any financial proof or an exit ticket.

I have had agents ask as much as $45 for the free visa so shop around if you're not using the guy above. Some even told me I wouldn't get another one as my passport is full of blue stickers (complete BS).

As far as I know no problems at Penang.

I have at lest 3 SETV from there in last 3 or 4 years.

The only thing I dislike about Penang is those damn stairs you have to go up and down to get a visa.

I am a 70 year old man and climbing those stairs without  a handhold is a problem for me.

For you youngsters that probably is no problem.

For you youngsters: you know you are getting old when it takes you all night to do what you used to do all night.

Edited by IMA_FARANG
Added a coment
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, wump said:

So you actually go to the embassy? To save 20 Ringgit for the agent?!

Agents in Penang charge 40 Ringet as a taxi is 40 Ringet each way so total 160 Ringet a great saving I use stardust he is very well connected and has very clean accommodation just an air ticket out of Thailand is required now

• Like 1

I have just been to Phnom Penh to apply for a Thai tourist visa.

The agent refused to take my passport, because I had too many visas in it, as he said. And he also said, that the embassy has become stricter recently.

My passport had three education visas with lots of reentry permits and two tourist visas in it, nothing from Phnom Penh, all of them dated two years back.

So I went to the embassy myself, where the reception lady gave me a bit of a hard time. In the end I just said, that I have a girlfriend and we're going to marry soon anyway. Then she made a brief phone call and the accepted my application, but saying, she can't guarantee me a success.

I provided the passport, a copy of the personals page, a statement form my Swiss bank account and a flight ticket out to Switzerland from Bangkok. Two days later I received the visa.

My passport is from Switzerland.

When I picked up the passport there were three foreigners sitting and waiting. I asked one of them - a Canadian citizen - why? He told me, he has to wait for an interview, after which it will be decided, whether he gets the visa.

This is what happened to me mid of March 2017 in Phnom Penh.

I'm almost sure, that Penang is easier in comparison even though they also got a bit stricter now.

7 minutes ago, frimu said:

I have just been to Phnom Penh to apply for a Thai tourist visa.

The agent refused to take my passport, because I had too many visas in it, as he said. And he also said, that the embassy has become stricter recently.

My passport had three education visas with lots of reentry permits and two tourist visas in it, nothing from Phnom Penh, all of them dated two years back.

So I went to the embassy myself, where the reception lady gave me a bit of a hard time. In the end I just said, that I have a girlfriend and we're going to marry soon anyway. Then she made a brief phone call and the accepted my application, but saying, she can't guarantee me a success.

I provided the passport, a copy of the personals page, a statement form my Swiss bank account and a flight ticket out to Switzerland from Bangkok. Two days later I received the visa.

My passport is from Switzerland.

When I picked up the passport there were three foreigners sitting and waiting. I asked one of them - a Canadian citizen - why? He told me, he has to wait for an interview, after which it will be decided, whether he gets the visa.

This is what happened to me mid of March 2017 in Phnom Penh.

I'm almost sure, that Penang is easier in comparison even though they also got a bit stricter now.

PP have been like that long time with people having many stamps on their passport..

PP is the only place i have asked to have this "interview" in order to get visa. I did not bother, i jus flew back BKK without visa then. This was about 3 years ago.. Similar cases i have heard also from others..

Thanks for all your input guys. It sounds like it's getting stricter everywhere, I'll probably go to Penang this time and buy an elite visa in October, just to stop feeling so damn harassed.

Last year i applied for a SETV in my homecountry, my passport was quite full so the guy taking applications asked me a lot of questions which i was happy to answer. He didn't believe that i'm semi-financially independent due to my age so he wanted to see financial proof like bank statements etc. I was willing to show a bankstatement with only the balance visible but he didn't accept it, he wanted to see how and where i spend my money LOL! The idiot got red like a tomato when i told him it's none of his business, he stripped off the SETV from my passport and that was the end of it. I've never experienced such a power-hungry authoritive <deleted> like at the Thaiconsulate, he's not even a real consular employee!

Edited by Wallet73

Was in Penang 2 weeks ago, used an agent to get a SETV. 190 MYR (about 1,500 baht), copy of my lease + a copy of a flight out of Thailand were required, but other than that no hassles at all. Dropped off at 10am, picked up the next afternoon.

As you note above op, if you can afford an Elite visa definitely the easiest way to go. I'm trying to save for one now and aim to buy one myself this time next year, presuming I decide to keep living here (been here for 5 years).

Edited by lordblackader
typo

53 minutes ago, lordblackader said:

Was in Penang 2 weeks ago, used an agent to get a SETV. 190 MYR (about 1,500 baht), copy of my lease + a copy of a flight out of Thailand were required, but other than that no hassles at all. Dropped off at 10am, picked up the next afternoon.

As you note above op, if you can afford an Elite visa definitely the easiest way to go. I'm trying to save for one now and aim to buy one myself this time next year, presuming I decide to keep living here (been here for 5 years).

Glad to hear you got a SETV without much hassle.

What do you mean by lease? Leasecontract from your condo/house?

Well, actually i'm planning to relocate to another country in Europe next year with my gf, but we'll be in Thailand 5 to 6 months a year.

We don't see a future in Thailand, not with the current government, so it will be a holiday-only destination from now on and no more investments into the country. Sad, my dream was to build a life here but without the possibility of owning land, not feeling welcomed, not able to own more than 49% of a company, and the possibility of being kicked out of the country anytime they please, i'll pass on living here permanent thanks :)

Edited by Wallet73