How do you feel about beach road markets?

stravers

How do you feel about beach road markets?  

37 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Poor question... What do you mean by "Beach Road" markets? Do you mean the nightly vendors that set up in front of the Avenue shopping center (on 2nd Rd) and in front of Central shopping center? Do you mean the vendors or shop keepers that also occupy part of the sidewalk to sell their goods? Do  you mean the vendor that rents "space" along the Beach Rd walkway that occupies the narrow sidewalk to sell their goods to visiting tourists?  ...or do you mean vendors that rent space along the promenade during a special event in Pattaya?

4 hours ago, toenail said:

Poor question... What do you mean by "Beach Road" markets? Do you mean the nightly vendors that set up in front of the Avenue shopping center (on 2nd Rd) and in front of Central shopping center? Do you mean the vendors or shop keepers that also occupy part of the sidewalk to sell their goods? Do  you mean the vendor that rents "space" along the Beach Rd walkway that occupies the narrow sidewalk to sell their goods to visiting tourists?  ...or do you mean vendors that rent space along the promenade during a special event in Pattaya?

Good question, I will wait with interest for answers.

If you mean the big established markets on Beach Road, Soi Country Club, and Theprasit Road. I love them. I would want to live near one. Great food. At good prices. Interesting, and entertaining.

Some vendors on the side walk. Can be a problem. If they take up too much space, and force people off the side walks, onto the road.

5 minutes ago, amjamj said:

The problem with markets in Thailand is that they don't have any brain to sell something that is not already sold by someone else.

So it's only crap and crap and crap.

And they never seem to have crap in an XL size.

17 hours ago, stravers said:

Poll: How do you feel about beach road markets? Repetitive clutter or a welcomed visit?

Do you mean the weekend markets that have recently appeared out the front of Central ?

1 hour ago, philliphn said:

If you mean the big established markets on Beach Road, Soi Country Club, and Theprasit Road. I love them. I would want to live near one. Great food. At good prices. Interesting, and entertaining.

Some vendors on the side walk. Can be a problem. If they take up too much space, and force people off the side walks, onto the road.

Voted for no like because I thought it was about the markets set up last week. I have no problem with food carts.

A tad off-topic perhaps (not Beach Road markets), but the market behind Pattaya Thai on Tuesdays and Fridays is great.  Fantastic food and really affordable clothing.  Bought a nice belt for 100 baht that would have cost me at least three times that at home.  I paid 200 baht for decent pair of running shorts (ok they are knock offs) that would have been well over 4 times that at home.

Btw, I've run in those shorts for over a year now and they are standing up to repeated washing and show no signs of wear.

Edited by EvenSteven

On 03/04/2017 at 5:16 AM, toenail said:

The Avenue on 2nd Road isn't even close to Beach Road, so I think that's pretty obviously not what the OP means. Also, since there's been a persistent clean up and ongoing suppression of the sidewalk blocking, both by shop keepers and renters on Beach Road, that kicks that obfuscation into touch.

Now, considering that there's a current (or very recent) beach side of Beach Road, white-pavilioned, sidewalk-blocking, traffic-jamming 'market' going on, I think it's a fair bet to say that is what the OP is on about.

Without voting (ambivalence is a virtue) I see that Pattaya's denizens largely don't like them at all. Now, assuming that most of these negative voters don't actually live on Beach and a fair few don't even go there on a regular basis and even less have cars, what is there to dislike so much about the random, 2-3 day tourist and visitor wallet emptier?

Edited by NanLaew

They are people just trying to make a living.  I get it.  But I guess the location and the fact people stand on the sidewalk forcing a walk on the street to get some place.  Also, I am tall so I have to duck down most of the way to avoid a head gash from the over hangs. Other then that, I think people like them as I see a lot of selling.

You can get rid of those aggressive, grab your arm(how much you pay) sunglass sales dudes however.

Edited by bkk6060