Indians arrested for overstay and loan sharking after Pattaya house raid

webfact

Indians arrested for overstay and loan sharking after Pattaya house raid

4pm.jpg

Picture: 77Jowo

PATTAYA: -- Tourist police and soldiers raided a house in Bang Lamung yesterday and arrested four Indians suspected of loan sharking.

Three of the men were on overstay.

The raid was mounted after neighbors at the Daraphan housing estate noticed that the Indians who rented the house were having many visitors at night.

They suspected illegal activity was going on and called in the cops.

Yesterday the raiding party found a red plate Toyota Fortuner and three Honda Wave motorcycles for which the Indians could produce no ownership documents.

They also found many accounts books and 10,000s of baht in cash that was taken into evidence.

Three of the men were on overstay but none were named in the 77Jowo story about the raid.

All of the men were suspected of loan sharking.

The report said that the raid - in Soi 3 of Daraphan 5 - was part of a crackdown on illegal foreigners in the lead up to Songkran.

Source: 77Jowo

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-04-03

14 minutes ago, BruceMangosteen said:

Who could they possibly be loaning money to? I seriously doubt Thai people would borrow money from Indians using motorcycles as collateral.=78y5

If a Thai person is up for borrowing money, why would they care about the nationality of the lender ? Is there a level of nationalism associated with borrowing money ? 

25 minutes ago, BruceMangosteen said:

Who could they possibly be loaning money to? I seriously doubt Thai people would borrow money from Indians using motorcycles as collateral.=78y5

Thais will borrow money from anyone dumb enough to part with it!!

26 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

If a Thai person is up for borrowing money, why would they care about the nationality of the lender ? Is there a level of nationalism associated with borrowing money ? 

Yes, the face issue would apply. Borrowing from Indians(a group from India) would result in a loss of face. However, the "rest of the story" will I'm sure show us that the Indian's expected to be paid back and when attempted to collect the money, well you can figure it out. Police got involved, the rest is now history. Follow the money. OO

Just now, BruceMangosteen said:

Yes, the face issue would apply. Borrowing from Indians(a group from India) would result in a loss of face. However, the "rest of the story" will I'm sure show us that the Indian's expected to be paid back and when attempted to collect the money, well you can figure it out. Police got involved, the rest is now history. Follow the money. OO

That makes sense, I hadn't considered the face thing. But usually if you are that desperate to engage a loan shark, thats a loss of face already.

1 hour ago, webfact said:

They also found many accounts books and 10,000s of baht in cash that was taken into evidence.

I strongly suspect that while the money has been taken, it will never see the inside of a courtroom.

I saw a case recently, where the cops followed someone suspected of fraud to 7 ATM's, but there was no cash "found on him."

170,000 Baht vanished and the guy was found not guilty as a result.

Maybe it's just me but I find it totally illegal if police raid my house / apartment just following a call from my neighbors, without any proof or warrant. It makes no sense. It's like I can call police to whoever I'm pissed of with and ask them to raid their house because "there might be" some illegal activities going on.

4 hours ago, BruceMangosteen said:

They lend to bar and massge girls.  Indian loansharks used to be around the bars and massage parlours on Sukhumvit soi 22 all the time collecting from a lot of the girls.

3 hours ago, anthobkk said:

Maybe it's just me but I find it totally illegal if police raid my house / apartment just following a call from my neighbors, without any proof or warrant. It makes no sense. It's like I can call police to whoever I'm pissed of with and ask them to raid their house because "there might be" some illegal activities going on.

It's just you mate. The Indians don't of course own the house raided. As I alluded to earlier, they most likely irritated a Thai person enough to cause a complaint be phone in regarding an "insult" or something along those lines. As it is reported that they were living or visiting without a proper VISA/permission, the whole saga has the smell of Thai people not liking the business they were in. It is strange to many I know why if you are here illegally you show your passport to a vice copper which you know indicates you are an illegal immigrant. Better to I guess just go the slammer and get banged up hoping the real money people won't cut you off and out like a lizards tail. (lizards tail description stolen from the Malaysian  story where the two young massage girls killed the North Korean leaders half brother in an airport terminal)

7 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

That makes sense, I hadn't considered the face thing. But usually if you are that desperate to engage a loan shark, thats a loss of face already.

It's quite common in SEA. The lingo is "6-5" and it's weekly. I first saw it in Subic Bay in the strangest of situations, that of buying rice in bulk and selling it by the Kilo. Leftover Americans married to former bargirls were actually the money behind it. Here in Pattaya I've seen it involving the underground lottery. Indian involvement surprises me unless they are involved somehow in the Burmese and Indian workers here. As you must know, Indians aren't seen in the construction trades or working as maids in Thailand. 

15 hours ago, anthobkk said:

yeah, but few if any such rules of warrants, and search and seizure apply in Thailand or are backed up by the ruling coup leaders

On 4/3/2017 at 10:45 AM, BruceMangosteen said:

Who could they possibly be loaning money to?

Indians of course, plenty of them aroound in Thailand. 

Edited by balo