Thai Style lane chances. Purposefully making it difficult. Why?

I call it the F.U. switch... some people get in a car and forget themselves... 

...I find Thai's in cars to be very chilled and relaxed given the daily frustrations of driving in every day gridlock.

And with that in mind I also call it the 90/10 ratio... 90% of drivers are very polite... however, 10% are bloody minded, self centred, selfish morons.

...Today I watched a car deliberately block a motorcycle from filtering through, there was space but he made it clear it was his (the car's space). The motorcycle was patient, the driver clearly being difficult... it took about 5 mins for the Motorcycle to filter through very slowly moving (5kmh) queuing traffic and pass the car which seemed to go out of its way to obstruct the bike. 

WHY ??? No idea.. because they can, because such antisocial behaviour rarely leads to a confrontation... because there is no social grounding, people rarely tell each other they are behaving like a moron.... It seems to happen so regularly with very little consequence and just a few rare stories of the 'falling down' (*movie) snapping point.

I was once told by a visitor that the measure of a nation is how its roads are. This seems relatively valid on some level. 

Thailand's roads are chaotic, yet generally non-confrontational with a general indifference and lack of consideration towards anyone else outside of an immediate circle...  Thats not a Thai bash, its a simple observation...

Edited by richard_smith237

10 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

I was once told by a visitor that the measure of a nation is how its roads are.

Actually yes, it is a common theory.

If you want to know the measure of a people, watch how they are on their roads (where they are faceless and have power over others) and how they treat those at their mercy.

I get more annoyed by people preventing me from getting up to speed by steadfastly staying in the middle lane when they can see (or should be seeing) that they are causing a problem. I often drive on the right hand lane because of road/traffic conditions but always have an eye on the mirror. Of course, when you can't give way immediately, an idiot in a shiny red car will get right up behind you and start flashing his lights.

Last week I came upon a patch of cars moving slow because of a truck up ahead. It was a curvy stretch of hills and I knew the next passing lane was about 20 km away. The last car in the pack was a little Proton. That car was leaving a pretty large gap between itself and the cars ahead, so I moved to overtake. The little prick moved up with me and blocked my re-entering the lane. He slowed when I slowed and he sped up when I did. Soon a top heavy pickup crested the hill in the oncoming lane, it wasn't long before I had only one sane option, to take out the Proton. Fortunately, for all, the psycho chickened out and found his brakes.

For the next 15 minutes he kept himself glued to the tail of the car in front, I guess to keep me from passing.  At the passing lane he stayed right and kept me from getting ahead. 

I just kept my head and eventually we went our separate ways.

Edited by canuckamuck

32 minutes ago, canuckamuck said:

Last week I came upon a patch of cars moving slow because of a truck up ahead. It was a curvy stretch of hills and I knew the next passing lane was about 20 km away. The last car in the pack was a little Proton. That car was leaving a pretty large gap between itself and the cars ahead, so I moved to overtake. The little prick moved up with me and blocked my re-entering the lane. He slowed when I slowed and he sped up when I did. Soon a top heavy pickup crested the hill in the oncoming lane, it wasn't long before I had only one sane option, to take out the Proton. Fortunately, for all, the psycho chickened out and found his brakes.

For the next 15 minutes he kept himself glued to the tail of the car in front, I guess to keep me from passing.  At the passing lane he stayed right and kept me from getting ahead. 

Isn't it bizarre. 

They must have severe ego issues going on. :huh:

What exactly did you gain from overtaking this one car?

Sent from my SM-T815Y using Tapatalk

If you are unfamiliar with driving in Thailand, let me tell you that on occasion you will need to pass a group of slow moving cars. Have you never done it?

The stretch of road was the section of mountains between Maekachan and Chiang Mai, the Chiang Rai road. Very few opportunities to pass and plenty of slow vehicles that will not move an inch to the shoulder.

13 minutes ago, canuckamuck said:

If you are unfamiliar with driving in Thailand, let me tell you that on occasion you will need to pass a group of slow moving cars. Have you never done it?

The stretch of road was the section of mountains between Maekachan and Chiang Mai, the Chiang Rai road. Very few opportunities to pass and plenty of slow vehicles that will not move an inch to the shoulder.

Agreed... sometimes its quite safe to 'pick them off' one by one... that is until some idiot decides that you were not there first so have no right to try and over take until those in front of you have. Unfortunately, some are so hesitant they never overtake....

.... It seems that a healthy balance is never found in these situations - we always see some crazy pulling off an impossible manoeuvre or someone who's overdosed on their 'Jai-yen pills', is in no rush to get anywhere but remains in the way. 

In the interests of balance an fairness - while I do see daily selfishness - driving in Thailand is not so awful. I've been driving here for 15 years (in and around Bangkok) and feel fairly relaxed behind the wheel.

8 hours ago, Happy Grumpy said:

If you want to know the measure of a people, watch how they are on their roads (where they are faceless and have power over others) and how they treat those at their mercy.

Was this thread started because you have had experiences whilst changing lanes or are you simply a voyeur?

9 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

I was once told by a visitor that the measure of a nation is how its roads are. This seems relatively valid on some level. 

Thailand's roads are chaotic, yet generally non-confrontational

Agree some what,  as l see it one has to get experience in the way people of any country drive on their roads.

There's a vast difference between drivers in busy cities as to drivers in remote areas.

As a biker l always look out for em when l'm car driving and position myself so they can get through in traffic.

As for OP l don't see that type of driving much but for sure it happens, l've experience it in UK, in France, Spain & Portugal. 

In Qatar if you left too bigger gap in 2 way traffic they would nudge you from behind also at red traffic stop lights if there was nothing coming.  :biggrin:

https://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=439x799302

"...the moral test of government is how that government treats those who are in the dawn of life, the children; those who are in the twilight of life, the elderly; those who are in the shadows of life; the sick, the needy and the handicapped. "
~Last Speech of Hubert H. Humphrey

27 minutes ago, Destiny1990 said:

A lot of traffic incidents are save face related.

Agree with this, it may happen a bit more here but it also happens back home. Pull out to pass and people all of the sudden find their accelerator pedal, complete the pass and they stick on your rear for miles. But the problem is also that those are the ones we remember, not the nice polite drivers who yield even when they don't have to..

I was stuck in traffic yesterday and some people tried to cut the line by driving on the side of the road .. and when it was no longer possible they try to squeeze back in ofcourse.. I drove as close as possible to the car in front of me to make sure they couldn't get in.. just to teach them a lesson... ofcourse they come in sooner or later because people leave space.

It comes down to them suffering from horrendous cases of little man syndrome.

And being pig ignorant and as stubborn as a mule.

Add a massive dose of built up anger and frustration due to their repressive culture that naturally needs to vent.

The psychological cloak of invisibility that getting into a car gives people.

Hope that answers the question.

22 minutes ago, hobz said:

I was stuck in traffic yesterday and some people tried to cut the line by driving on the side of the road .. and when it was no longer possible they try to squeeze back in ofcourse.. I drove as close as possible to the car in front of me to make sure they couldn't get in.. just to teach them a lesson... ofcourse they come in sooner or later because people leave space.

Next time try be more generous in traffic..

45 minutes ago, hobz said:

I drove as close as possible to the car in front of me to make sure they couldn't get in.. just to teach them a lesson... ofcourse they come in sooner or later because people leave space.

So, you think that makes you a good driver do you? Driving lessons the hobz way!

Has it occurred to you that if you pull back, you would give them a lesson in politeness?

Edited by Moonlover

15 hours ago, Happy Grumpy said:

If someone moves into their lane ahead of them, 50/50 chance they'll speed up to try and make it difficult for them.

Actually probably more than 50/50.

Why?

Oh good, another exercise in mindless Thai bashing masquerading in the form of a question with such reliable statistics as ".50/50 chance they'll speed up to try and make it difficult for them."

Why is road rage a major problem in the so called "advanced" countries, often provoked by people cutting one another off or purposely sppeding up or slowing down to aggravate one another?

Britain came top of the league for aggression on the roads, outstripping countries traditionally seen as having hot-headed drivers such as Italy.

It found that 53 per cent have been the target of verbal aggression and 73 per cent have found their path blocked on the road by an angry driver.

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/536963/UK-Road-Rage-Capital-WORLD

29 minutes ago, DLang said:

It comes down to them suffering from horrendous cases of little man syndrome.

Yes, big men create a posting nom de plume and bravely bash away behind the cloak of anonymity.

37 minutes ago, DLang said:

The psychological cloak of invisibility that getting into a car gives people.

I dearly hope you're being sarcastically ironic, but I fear not.

16 hours ago, Happy Grumpy said:

...no different with a shopping trolley...unbelievable!

Like my friend thai told me they never had cars or pickup trucks before they had bicycles and buffalo now you got buffalo drivers driving motor vehicle what do we expect??????

Jungle Driving is the type of driving i practice here.

2 hours ago, hobz said:

I also hate this and do the same.

2 hours ago, Destiny1990 said:

Next time try be more generous in traffic..

Why - they do it deliberately to get ahead knowing they will have to cut in and often you end up missing the light change because of it.

2 hours ago, Moonlover said:

So, you think that makes you a good driver do you? Driving lessons the hobz way!

Has it occurred to you that if you pull back, you would give them a lesson in politeness?

No it wouldn't - traffic lights in Bowin on the 331 take ages to change. Cars and mini vans go in the left hand lane to turn and then stop as close to the cars in the next lane to pull in and go straight ahead. As long as everybody lets them in they will keep on doing it.

UK lorry drivers put a stop to this kind of shit years ago when approaching well signposted roadworks by blocking the lane that was closed far enough back to stop people jumping the queue and it invariably worked.

OK folks... the Thai bashing is getting a little out of hand here.

Please try to stick to the Forum Rules when posting and the following in particular:

11) You will not post slurs, degrading or overly negative comments directed towards Thailand, specific locations, Thai institutions such as the judicial or law enforcement system, Thai culture, Thai people or any other group on the basis of race, nationality, religion, gender or sexual orientation.

34 minutes ago, topt said:

I also hate this and do the same.

Why - they do it deliberately to get ahead knowing they will have to cut in and often you end up missing the light change because of it.

No it wouldn't - traffic lights in Bowin on the 331 take ages to change. Cars and mini vans go in the left hand lane to turn and then stop as close to the cars in the next lane to pull in and go straight ahead. As long as everybody lets them in they will keep on doing it.

UK lorry drivers put a stop to this kind of shit years ago when approaching well signposted roadworks by blocking the lane that was closed far enough back to stop people jumping the queue and it invariably worked.

Good luck with your blood pressure and your drive style hope it brings u far.I try to be polite set a good example let pedestrians cross infront me let cars zip in no big deal other participants in the traffic  will appreciate this more than your dumb competitive attitude.

Methinks some of you guys have been here too long. Complaining about people cutting line in 7-11, looking at you cross-eyed, changing lanes improperly, etc. ad nauseum. Don't you ever get tired of hearing yourself bloviate?

Having come from America only 5 months ago I can tell you these things happen everywhere in the world where there are humans.

You'll live longer and be happier if you just roll with the punches and take these things as examples of how not to treat others. That skill will benefit you wherever you go.

Make it a challenge to catch yourself acting up and immediately  reverse direction. Soon you'll  be proud of yourself for your own self-control and even allow yourself some smugness about being better than they are.