British workers encouraged to retire to Thailand after Brexit and snap up a £60k 20-year residency permit

webfact

53 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

On the contrary, where a fully subscribed and paid up UK state pension may provide only a subsistence in the UK, it is more than enough to retire on in Thailand. The debatable point is whether Thailand is a good choice as a retirement venue.

Do you live on a uk pension only  ?

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, simon43 said:

Since the retirement visa extension option exists for those over 50 years old, I wonder why the Elite visa is being promoted to those of pension age.  

Could it be that the retirement visa extension option (800k in a Thai bank account etc), will no longer be available in the future?

I would suggest they are suckering people into paying  big money into something- personally I would not want to commit to 29 years anywhere. I have always seen the Elite schem as a bit of a scam- if it's ever pulled there will be no refunds

What are the options of retirement in Burma, both practical and financial?

3 hours ago, fruitman said:

Yes but don't you dare to play Bridge ..

Oh and make sure your new hip is connected well before walking on the sidewalks.

Also make sure your eyes are very good so you can see the motocy driving against traffic coming.

And wear good sneakers so you can run away from soidogs or a cane with a hidden gun inside.

Also wear a helmet for lowhanging roofs with dangerous pins sticking out.

Learn Thai before you come, so you can speak to the taxidrivers/police.

So, I take it you dont live here, anyone who moans like that and does would just be mad right?

1 hour ago, clockman said:

First make sure you have good health insurance!

As a long term retiree living in Thailand, I receive no concessions whatsoever. Being a Brit and living outside the UK I no longer quality for medical under the UK National Health service unless I move back to the UK and become resident again, I do not quality to receive anything as a foreign national under any Thai government schemes. My UK State pension will be frozen for the remainder of my time spent in Thailand, although I`ve paid into it all my working life and have not officially immigrated to Thailand, I am still a British citizen. Due to my age, most medical health insurance companies won`t take me on and the few that will, expect me to pay ridiculous premium fees each month that could be cancelled as they feel fit to do so. I cannot own my own land and property or work here under reasonable conditions and still expected to pay more than the Thais where duel pricing is imposed. In fact I am living in limbo land, entitled to nothing neither here nor there and required to be totally self sufficient as a non-citizen.

On one hand Thailand want`s to encourage people like me to retire here and on the other hand they are offering me nothing, in a country where the rules could be changed on a whim and I could be expelled at the stroke of a pen.

It is not a give and take relationship between Thailand and the retirees and I cannot see any advantages to this long term residency permit. It is my choice to stay here and not complaining, I am merely stating the facts that everyone should be aware of before diving in to any long term commitments.

3 hours ago, webfact said:

Thailand is launching a fresh charm offensive to lure more pensioners

Someone in charge of these newspapers really should let their journalists know that the word  "lure" has extremely negative overtones. 

2 hours ago, Bundaberg Baxter said:

Also by law....

The "law" is always about money here. The more you pay, the less law you have to follow.

Sometimes corruption works in your favor. 

3 minutes ago, meatboy said:

that would be around 5,000bht.a week.

Yes 21000 give or take a month,   no way is that

going to pay for you to live here..

Half will go on accommodation, water , Electric, !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! unless you want to live like a pig in your retirement.

Heath insurance ? !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:stoner:

Edited by onemorechang

6 minutes ago, onemorechang said:

Yes 21000 give or take a month,   no way is that

going to pay for you to live here..

Half will go on accommodation !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I receive more than 1 pension because as you say, the UK State pension would not be sufficient to cover living expenses in Thailand unless prepared to live a very basic lifestyle similar to how the poorer Thais live out in the sticks.  Also taking into account the bad bank interest and exchange rates.

I would not even consider retiring in Thailand unless I have a secured remainder of my life guaranteed income of a minimum of 50000 baht per month when the £ to bahts rates are low without the need the work to supplement my income and have a least 4 million baht in the bank after my initial expenses for setting myself up here.  

I know of some elderly expats that are living on $400 a month (just over 13000 baht) in Thailand with virtually no savings. As for immigration, I have no idea how these people manage to stay here and I don`t ask, not my business. What I do wonder is; why would some westerners choose to live like paupers in a foreign land?

Just now, cyberfarang said:

I receive more than 1 pension because as you say, the UK State pension would not be sufficient to cover living expenses in Thailand unless prepared to live a very basic lifestyle similar to how the poorer Thais live out in the sticks.  Also taking into account the bad bank interest and exchange rates.

I would not even consider retiring in Thailand unless I have a secured remainder of my life guaranteed income of a minimum of 50000 baht per month when the £ to bahts rates are low without the need the work to supplement my income and have a least 4 million baht in the bank after my initial expenses for setting myself up here.  

I know of some elderly expats that are living on $400 a month (just over 13000 baht) in Thailand with virtually no savings. As for immigration, I have no idea how these people manage to stay here and I don`t ask, not my business. What I do wonder is; why would some westerners choose to live like paupers in a foreign land?

Yes all very true

The ones your talking about  they have a miserable existence

that's no retirement and usually for a short period of time.

they are  dead with in 5-8 years.

Alcohol or just bad health , take them. :jap:

16 minutes ago, cyberfarang said:

Possibly because it is preferable to living like a pauper in their own country?

I just did my annual retirement visa renewal two days ago (1900 baht, as usual) at the Roi Et immigration office.  It took a whopping 10-12 minutes since this was my 9th renewal and they know me and I know exactly what documents to bring.  While there I asked the head immigration guy about this alleged "elite 20-year visa".  He was quite emphatic when he told me there is no such visa or he would know about it.  I took that with a grain of salt since nearly all expats have a different visa story depending on which immigration office is involved, but admit I'm now a bit curious if there is such a thing.

9 minutes ago, Jimbo in Thailand said:

I just did my annual retirement visa renewal two days ago (1900 baht, as usual) at the Roi Et immigration office.  It took a whopping 10-12 minutes since this was my 9th renewal and they know me and I know exactly what documents to bring.  While there I asked the head immigration guy about this alleged "elite 20-year visa".  He was quite emphatic when he told me there is no such visa or he would know about it.  I took that with a grain of salt since nearly all expats have a different visa story depending on which immigration office is involved, but admit I'm now a bit curious if there is such a thing.

Elite visas are available. Depends what you want to spend. 5 years and renewable 3 times.

Just splash the cash.

Do a search on TV.

?

Edited by overherebc

1 minute ago, overherebc said:

Elite visas are available. Depends what you want to spend.

Do a search on TV.

?

Are you serious?  You think just because it's posted here at TV, or any online forum, it's gotta be true?!  OMG!

Thanks, but I'll wait until I meet someone who actually has one before making up my mind.

Cheers!

2 minutes ago, Jimbo in Thailand said:

Are you serious?  You think just because it's posted here at TV, or any online forum, it's gotta be true?!  OMG!

Thanks, but I'll wait until I meet someone who actually has one before making up my mind.

Cheers!

Many people have them.

27 minutes ago, Jimbo in Thailand said:

One of the things you should have learned about Thailand is

that most people don't know the jobs very well,   and have no idea of and new changes to procedures,  in the working environment.

I believe far more i read,  than anyone ever  tells me in Thailand. :jap:

Edited by onemorechang

17 minutes ago, overherebc said:

Lots of people also have their cars registered in their own name as well, but a lot of expats will say that's not possible as well.

I have the pickup truck and 2 motorbikes registered in my name, but of course that is impossible according to some people here.

5 hours ago, darksidedog said:

I just renewed my retirement visa at a cost of 14,500 baht. I dropped my passport in to a shop with two photos and got my passport with visa back two days later.

Why I would be possessed to spend utterly stupid money to save me ten minutes every year is beyond me.

I'm pretty sure the 5,10,20 year folks still have to do a 90 day report.

Why pay 14,500b?  It costs 1,900b.

If u havnt even got 800,000b savings then u shouldn't be here anyway.

Any mention of pro rated return of investment to estate if you die by accidental death, such a electrocuted Brit report today? And there are always balcony falls, being run over on sidewalk or street,  bug sprays in hotels, and on and on

5 hours ago, Bundaberg Baxter said:

why pay 14,500 for an extension when it's only 1,900? Also by law it has to be done in person, your method appears decidedly dodgy, and expensive.

If you haven't got 800,000 in the bank, and a lot haven't, it's the only way to go.

Bt2,586,321.78. That's Bt129,316 per year. Bt10,776 per month.

Here's an idea. Retire. Come to Thailand. Pay Bt2,586,322. Marry nice Thai girl. Build a house for a few million. Break up. Lose house, lose money, lose everything and go back to England. Cheap at half the price. :cheesy:

p.s. this probably won't take 20 years. :burp: 

6 hours ago, fruitman said:

Yes but don't you dare to play Bridge ..

Oh and make sure your new hip is connected well before walking on the sidewalks.

Also make sure your eyes are very good so you can see the motocy driving against traffic coming.

And wear good sneakers so you can run away from soidogs or a cane with a hidden gun inside.

Also wear a helmet for lowhanging roofs with dangerous pins sticking out.

Learn Thai before you come, so you can speak to the taxidrivers/police.

Nice list of necessities needed to stay safe, while living within Thailand...

If I may add to your list-

Remember to carry small bills around at all times,

so you can pay your way through the day, when you venture out.

This will help pay for the times you forget to bring your passport with you.

Create a PDF with all your details and obtain plenty of photos,

with the every changing back ground color required, 

so best to get the photos taken with both white or blue behind you.

Don't forget that every 90 days you will need to report to the local immigration,

this is where the PDF will come in handy.

Best to quite smoking before you come,

as the ever changing law is soon going to restrict smoking anywhere outside your home.

Make sure to obtain class A insurance, 

for if you're unfortunate to be involved in an accident, 

the citizens will always blame the incident on the foreigners.

Good to also obtain extortion insurance for when the people recover, 

as they will come to obtain more pocket money for the accident, 

which you may or may not of been at fault.

If you don't bring your own mate, then you'll need to set aside an additional 20,000+ bht per month to pay salary, 

to most local females, who will pretend to be in love with you. The females communicate with each other within the first conversation, concerning how much their partners are paying them monthly, so the base is ever changing, 

and will create pressure to be increased annually, depending on how many friends your mate has.

2 minutes ago, ajarnmarc said:

If you don't bring your own mate, then you'll need to set aside an additional 20,000+ bht per month to pay salary, 

to most local females, who will pretend to be in love with you. The females communicate with each other within the first conversation, concerning how much their partners are paying them monthly, so the base is ever changing, 

and will create pressure to be increased annually, depending on how many friends your mate has.

20,000 grand, what does yours look like?????

6 hours ago, maewang99 said:

everyday something more nutty.... the linked article says....

"with Thailand you [British] pay 15,000 US dollars (£12,033) and you can stay there for five years"

but I will only pay about 260 US dollars (1900 Thai Baht a year, I think it is).... for 5 years..... why Brits have to pay so much?

I was also (still am) trying to find out how a Brit might lose a state pension by being here.... that sure doesn't happen with USA's Soc Sec program.... what's the idea there too? is that why they say it's a ****state**** pension... it ain't your pension... it's a state pension? say what??? in the UK???

Like a British friend explained to me he has been here 15 years and still gets the same amount no COLA increases annually.