British workers encouraged to retire to Thailand after Brexit and snap up a £60k 20-year residency permit

webfact

I think you are missing the point. 
A retirement visa in thailand requires 65k minimum income after tax per year, and if i understand correctly then uk retirement/pension income less than required. = You cannot stay. 

A 'retirement visa' requires either 65k income or 800k in a thai bank account so perfectly feasible for someone to stay here on a UK state pension providing they have the savings.

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

23 minutes ago, Orac said:

A 'retirement visa' requires either 65k income or 800k in a thai bank account so perfectly feasible for someone to stay here on a UK state pension providing they have the savings.

65k.is bht.and that is INCOME NOT PENSION.monthly.uk.state pension is no MORE THAN 25,000BHT.a month.at todays ex.rate.

I think you are missing the point. 
A retirement visa in thailand requires 65k minimum income after tax per year, and if i understand correctly then uk retirement/pension income less than required. = You cannot stay. 

Whenever I did a 'retirement' extension, it was BEFORE tax that was certified on an Embassies Income Letter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, Grauwulf said:

Yes Sean I agree if your in your 40s and wanting to retire and have the money and don't want to marry then elite is a great way to stay.

I was talking about ONE individual who has NOT retired cannot be bothered to get a non imm B nor a WP but yet still carry on working.

And yes HE is ( to me) a complete arrogant d**k.

Did I post that all people with Elite visas are that? Err NO. It would be nice if people took time and understood people's post before jumping to generalising conclusions.

see you for a beer Sean.

(I'm wondering how many are actually "retired" tho now from the defensive reply, but that would just open a new debate).

It seemed from your post which I replied to that you were simply referring to someone with a Thai Elite visa and that was all the info available.

Below are the comments.    Unless you know DPKANKAN's friend, I don't see how from his original comment you know that the 'friend' has not retired and is still working.

I'm also not sure that it matters to us whether someone under 50 (or over for that matter) chooses to live here on Tourist Visas and work under the radar or pay for Thai Elite and work under the radar.   I think its better we just let them get on with their lives, how they choose to stay here is none of my business.   

Have a great weekend.

18 hours ago, DPKANKAN said:

My friend has an Elite Visa. He went to the local "irritation" to do his 90 days and they had never heard of it!! Totally confused them. It took half the office and about 20 phone calls for them to understand it. 

Yeh but your " friend" Is a d**k. Employment is still prohibited without a work permit'even if you are one of the "elite". 

3 hours ago, Jimbo in Thailand said:

One of the things you should have done is read my ENTIRE post.   I did say I took the immigration guy's denial with a grain of salt since we all have differing visa stories.  That said, I would quicker believe the head of the local immigration office than I would comments in a forum, unless there's actual proof.  I personally could care less as that "elite" visa, if it actually exists, is way more than I'm willing to pay anyway.

Cheers!

Why don't you just Google it if you want 'proof' that it exists.    The Thai Elite system has been in operation since 2003. 

http://www.thai-elite.com/

21 hours ago, Sooo Upto Me said:

Why pay 14,500b?  It costs 1,900b.

If u havnt even got 800,000b savings then u shouldn't be here anyway.

Why not. I easily meet the income route and have no need to tie up 800,000 baht for 3 months at a time.

Who are you to decide who should stay and what amounts of money they should need?

1 hour ago, billd766 said:

Why not. I easily meet the income route and have no need to tie up 800,000 baht for 3 months at a time.

Who are you to decide who should stay and what amounts of money they should need?

Excuse me I don't give a toss who stays an who goes. Wot I'm saying is wot a waste of 12,600b just by not keeping 800,000b in the bank for a poxy 3 mths.

So try & read peoples posts properly b4 making stupid replies.

4 hours ago, seancbk said:

It seemed from your post which I replied to that you were simply referring to someone with a Thai Elite visa and that was all the info available.

Below are the comments.    Unless you know DPKANKAN's friend, I don't see how from his original comment you know that the 'friend' has not retired and is still working.

I'm also not sure that it matters to us whether someone under 50 (or over for that matter) chooses to live here on Tourist Visas and work under the radar or pay for Thai Elite and work under the radar.   I think its better we just let them get on with their lives, how they choose to stay here is none of my business.   

Have a great weekend.

18 hours ago, DPKANKAN said:

My friend has an Elite Visa. He went to the local "irritation" to do his 90 days and they had never heard of it!! Totally confused them. It took half the office and about 20 phone calls for them to understand it. 

Yeh but your " friend" Is a d**k. Employment is still prohibited without a work permit'even if you are one of the "elite". 

You are right on both counts Sean yes I know DP 's "friend ". ( who is still a dick and looks down on all of us with other visas whilst still bragging how much money he makes!).

And yes I can see how my post could have been misinterpreted to mean all Thai elite visa holders and not just the arrogant individual we know.

have a great weekend yourself.

I just renewed my retirement visa at a cost of 14,500 baht. I dropped my passport in to a shop with two photos and got my passport with visa back two days later.
Why I would be possessed to spend utterly stupid money to save me ten minutes every year is beyond me.
I'm pretty sure the 5,10,20 year folks still have to do a 90 day report.

were was this???

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Bearing in mind how much Thailand has changed, for the worse, in the past 20 years, why would anyone want to commit for the next 20?. Also, at 50, layout $60K when there is no assurance you will make it 55 let alone 70?,,,,,,,,and that's for the youngest of retirees.

38 minutes ago, Grauwulf said:

You are right on both counts Sean yes I know DP 's "friend ". ( who is still a dick and looks down on all of us with other visas whilst still bragging how much money he makes!).

And yes I can see how my post could have been misinterpreted to mean all Thai elite visa holders and not just the arrogant individual we know.

have a great weekend yourself.

Thanks for clarifying, now I get why you think he's a d**k.  

I knew one arrogant arse (ex boss of mine actually) who paid 1 million baht for his Thai Elite 10 years ago (maybe more), I've not seen him for about 7 years so I suspect he's no longer here and his 1 million baht investment was a complete waste.   Unfortunately I suspect he used investors money to pay for it, so probaby didn't care.

The other guys I know who have 5 year Thai elite visas are good blokes.  

Cheers!

Thanks for clarifying, now I get why you think he's a d**k.  

I knew one arrogant arse (ex boss of mine actually) who paid 1 million baht for his Thai Elite 10 years ago (maybe more), I've not seen him for about 7 years so I suspect he's no longer here and his 1 million baht investment was a complete waste.   Unfortunately I suspect he used investors money to pay for it, so probaby didn't care.

The other guys I know who have 5 year Thai elite visas are good blokes.  

Cheers!

Your ex-boss sounds like he would fit-in well, here in Thailand!

31 minutes ago, freebyrd said:

Bearing in mind how much Thailand has changed, for the worse, in the past 20 years, why would anyone want to commit for the next 20?. Also, at 50, layout $60K when there is no assurance you will make it 55 let alone 70?,,,,,,,,and that's for the youngest of retirees.

I would say Thailand is improving all the time.   Sure parts of it were vastly better in the past, before the mass market and sexpat tourists arrived, but you can say the same for many many destinations around the world that were better 30 years ago and have been spoilt by tourism.  

For someone who is under 50 and therefore doesn't qualify for an extension of stay based on retirement, but who has made a ton of money or inherited a pile, the Thai elite makes a lot of sense.   

At 50 it makes less sense, except if you frequently travel by air in and out of Thailand, in which case the fast track service you get is worth it, also the 90 day reporting service they do for you might be worth it for some people.   

5 minutes ago, DILLIGAD said:

Your ex-boss sounds like he would fit-in well, here in Thailand!

I'm not entirely sure what you mean.   

The company was in Bangkok, although he actually lived most of the time in Singapore to have access to a better pool of investors.

I'm not entirely sure what you mean.   

The company was in Bangkok, although he actually lived most of the time in Singapore to have access to a better pool of investors.

I meant, because he used other people's money to help fund his 'lifestyle'.

Sorry, on hindsight, maybe it was a feeble joke & not one of my best.

47 minutes ago, seancbk said:

knew one arrogant arse (ex boss of mine actually) who paid 1 million baht for his Thai Elite 10 years ago (maybe more), I've not seen him for about 7 years so I suspect he's no longer here and his 1 million baht investment was a complete waste.   Unfortunately I suspect he used investors money to pay for it, so probaby didn't care.

boiler room scammer was he?

18 minutes ago, AGareth2 said:
1 hour ago, seancbk said:

knew one arrogant arse (ex boss of mine actually) who paid 1 million baht for his Thai Elite 10 years ago (maybe more), I've not seen him for about 7 years so I suspect he's no longer here and his 1 million baht investment was a complete waste.   Unfortunately I suspect he used investors money to pay for it, so probaby didn't care.

boiler room scammer was he?

No not at all.   

I wouldn't have been working for him if he was.  

Medical Tourism startup that unfortunately ran out of funding before it made it to market.  Bad timing and some bad decisions by the boss.

Potentially a very lucrative business but the execution was flawed.

On ‎07‎/‎04‎/‎2017 at 1:51 AM, maewang99 said:

everyday something more nutty.... the linked article says....

"with Thailand you [British] pay 15,000 US dollars (£12,033) and you can stay there for five years"

but I will only pay about 260 US dollars (1900 Thai Baht a year, I think it is).... for 5 years..... why Brits have to pay so much?

I was also (still am) trying to find out how a Brit might lose a state pension by being here.... that sure doesn't happen with USA's Soc Sec program.... what's the idea there too? is that why they say it's a ****state**** pension... it ain't your pension... it's a state pension? say what??? in the UK???

Brits do not lose their State Pension coming to Thailand. What Brits don't get here is the annual pension increase. Brit pensioners in Europe, The British Commonwealth and in the USA do get the annual increase. I was contemplating getting the 20 year Elite at 800,000 Baht. If they are upping this to 2,500,000 Baht. They can forget it. It is like the rip off prices of cab drivers or the Government pricing increases for National Parks. It has been officially stated that Brits are the largest number of visitors of any country to Thailand. As a result of this they think we are gullible. Thai in high numbers get a good education, but there is a difference between education and intelligence. They seem to think education is intelligence. I have seriously looked at the Ukraine as an alternative to Thailand. WHY? I can buy land and build on it freehold as long as it is not farmland. The price of land and buildings are cheaper, with a high quality. Food is cheaper than Thailand. A single bus ride anywhere is less than 10 Baht and you can go anywhere on a single Metro train journey for about 12 Baht if you buy the entry tokens in bulk (50 at a time). A season pass can make this cheaper. Road safety and road discipline is better. The rural roads are not as bad as Thailand's mud-tracks. There is none of the stupid nonsense of signing on every 90 days and endless laws against foreigners. Good culture and amazing buildings. The only downsides is the weather in winter and an uncertain situation with Russia, but overall there is less stress and worry as to whether you are doing anything wrong or not with their petty laws. So Thailand's education is slowly pricing itself out of business and that is not intelligent. Finally I would consider Laos or Vietnam after a bit of investigation.

36 minutes ago, William C F Pierce said:

Brits do not lose their State Pension coming to Thailand. What Brits don't get here is the annual pension increase. Brit pensioners in Europe, The British Commonwealth and in the USA do get the annual increase. I was contemplating getting the 20 year Elite at 800,000 Baht. If they are upping this to 2,500,000 Baht. They can forget it. It is like the rip off prices of cab drivers or the Government pricing increases for National Parks. It has been officially stated that Brits are the largest number of visitors of any country to Thailand. As a result of this they think we are gullible. Thai in high numbers get a good education, but there is a difference between education and intelligence. They seem to think education is intelligence. I have seriously looked at the Ukraine as an alternative to Thailand. WHY? I can buy land and build on it freehold as long as it is not farmland. The price of land and buildings are cheaper, with a high quality. Food is cheaper than Thailand. A single bus ride anywhere is less than 10 Baht and you can go anywhere on a single Metro train journey for about 12 Baht if you buy the entry tokens in bulk (50 at a time). A season pass can make this cheaper. Road safety and road discipline is better. The rural roads are not as bad as Thailand's mud-tracks. There is none of the stupid nonsense of signing on every 90 days and endless laws against foreigners. Good culture and amazing buildings. The only downsides is the weather in winter and an uncertain situation with Russia, but overall there is less stress and worry as to whether you are doing anything wrong or not with their petty laws. So Thailand's education is slowly pricing itself out of business and that is not intelligent. Finally I would consider Laos or Vietnam after a bit of investigation.

Well put where the LOL is concerned ...

Ukraine, hmm, interesting perspective. 
But yes, that sure is seriously ass-freezing turf, and we're talking looong winters there. Can't see that happening for mother's boy, haven't seen any snow or ice (except in a glass ;-) for 14yrs now and can't say i'd miss it at all ... 

I think some Canadians might disagree with you.

On 4/7/2017 at 5:33 PM, janpharma said:

Thainess?..."Show me the money and give it to me"...

"You can never own land and we will overprice you  upto 10-fold for visiting our national parks"

"You will never be a permanent resident"

"You have to report every 90 days in order to give useless jobs to useless people ( every detail was already registered by computer upon arrival or departure)."

"You can't have a decent health insurance and you will pay up to 100.000.- THB to stay overnight in our (Bangkok-) Hospitals"

" If you pay an incredible amount we will sell you a health insurance but limited in time...when you get older we just drop you".

" You don't have to speak or learn our language because we don't like you to understand that we constantly try to rip you off"

Welcome in the Amazing LOS...:smile:

All  semi  true.  

So  why stay?:smile:

I have been to Thailand many times, the first time in 1976. I know the whole country from the deep south up to Mae Sai and Nong Khai. I lived several times for a short time in Thailand, the longest stay was 6 months, for testing how is daily life, when you stay and live in Thailand, not as a tourist. My conclusion: definitely not my place, it becomes quite boring after several months, and I don't like places like Pattaya or Phuket. I prefer to remain in Switzerland, which offers a very high standard of living, with lots of possibilities to spend the freetime. Even my Thai wife says that living in Switzerland is much better than in Thailand, and income about 30 times higher. So no reason to move to Thailand. Thailand's TAT and immigration think they own a paradise, but it isn't one. And they do all to chase away the farang residents, with always changing laws about immigration and high prices for socalled permits. So we go to Thailand and neighbouring countries when it is winter in Europe. Europe has much more to offer then Thailand.

On 4/7/2017 at 9:22 AM, overherebc said:

Last year at 55+ to the pound it was 'survival' money. Not so good now at 43ish.

Yeah exactly. Are they even aware this great brexit escape deal is 20% more expensive than it was before the referendum result sunk the pound again?  

30 minutes ago, lamyai3 said:

Yeah exactly. Are they even aware this great brexit escape deal is 20% more expensive than it was before the referendum result sunk the pound again?  

As usual they are ill informed as a deal will be done to secure rights just wait and see. Brexit for many at the moment is hard due to the drop in the £ but its only for a short time. The price of security is high and who supplies the world with intelligence, not our country cousins from across the pond that is for sure just movie stuff if you think they do. 60k to live in that corrupt location will make Brits smile and go to other locations where freedom actuality exists. So keep dreaming Brits ain't that stupid.