Brit expat dead in Phuket from suspected garden electric shock

webfact

On 4/7/2017 at 2:51 PM, hocuspocus said:

I was going to wire my own new house, then I read about the new electrical regulations so I decided that I would have to hire a Thai electrician but will it be any safer if a Thai electrician does the work? Probably less safe.

Find one that will put all the wires in conduit, in the walls and the ceiling.  You buy all the materials, he will be happy to use the good stuff as long as you are buying it.  You mark on the walls where the outlets and switches go.  Hopefully you can find a good one, I would want to see some of his work. I was lucky as my brother in law is a very good electrician, but I must say he was concerned about me spending the extra money for grounding everything, He did a great job.   There is a tool called a wall chaser that really makes cutting the conduits into the walls really easy, I would get one if I were you.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thai electrics are a bit of a sham from what I saw, family house (wooden) was a bonfire waiting to happen so rewired it UK style and now has 3 pin plugs both Thia and English, but not 2 pin anymore. Put a meter on the power and it varies up to 300volts. but the gear is there you can buy it from many places and not too expensive and worth the investment, now all computers in the house do not have the tingeing touch and the shower well that has triple earth. So if I can do it why can't these so called qualified electricians?. But saw the lad who fitted the air con go straight into the power as it arrived at the house and before fuseboard, he did not have care in the world, until I showed him the fuse board and made him reconnect there or no pay for air-con

On ‎4‎/‎7‎/‎2017 at 0:51 AM, hocuspocus said:

I was going to wire my own new house, then I read about the new electrical regulations so I decided that I would have to hire a Thai electrician but will it be any safer if a Thai electrician does the work? Probably less safe.

Honestly it depends on the person.  I hired someone to make a real kitchen out of the open outdoor one and when I saw him doing the wiring and checked out what he had done I told him to stop and I would finish it.  But I have an Aircon person that does outstanding work and had him come in later and rewire the house with a saf-t-cut breaker and make sure everything was properly grounded/earthed.

On 4/7/2017 at 2:24 AM, jollyhangmon said:

Exactly!

And those 'jumbles of connected wires hanging underneath' fairly everywhere are more than suspicious to me, especially in wet conditions - no matter if direct contact or not really.

Actually i'm surprised there aren't much more related incidents ... 

RIP man, it's a cryin' shame!

wait. Rainy season starts soon.Wherever there are outdoor electrical outlets, you can bet they are not  grounded nor waterproofed.  Remember the kid some years back who was sitting outside Ocean Plaza and who was electrocuted?