songkran has started !

dave2

3 minutes ago, EricTh said:

The Thai have started spraying water.

I rode my bike just now and somebody sprayed some water over me today.

Luckily, it's not a bucket of water and I was riding my bike and not walking.

Some local Thai guy told me it's supposed to start tomorrow for 3 days?

Officially it starts tomorrow, however I'm surprised there haven't been more reports of dousing today.

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, EricTh said:

The Thai have started spraying water.

I rode my bike just now and somebody sprayed some water over me today.

Luckily, it's not a bucket of water and I was riding my bike and not walking.

Some local Thai guy told me it's supposed to start tomorrow for 3 days?

Key word...." SUPPOSED "....As i type this there are two individuals across the street from me with a bucket and water hose....   not Thai but falang morons    .... make that 3 morons now

7 minutes ago, Gonzo the Face said:

Key word...." SUPPOSED "....As i type this there are two individuals across the street from me with a bucket and water hose....   not Thai but falang morons    .... make that 3 morons now

whereabouts are you? got to go into town shortly for dinner and don't fancy getting soaked.

2 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

Its all started in Pattaya, got my first drenching today (12th) riding motorbike along beach road. Thats one week until the official day in Pattaya, the 19th.

The official Songkran holiday is the 13th of April. I drove through the whole city today and didn't even see some kids playing with some water.

The good general did some weird things since he was cho..aeeh took over.

On 4/9/2017 at 7:54 PM, KhonKaenKowboy said:

Give Phayao a try....some fun late night spots and superb cuisine...CR is just a microcosm of the failures of CM, complete with aggressive ladyboys, and raunchy massage....and of course bad western food.

Your post would be informative if it was correct - sadly, it's misleading. There's a very good Spanish restaurant near the turnoff to Thoeng in CR. Perhaps it's not in your price range.  I will concede there's not much Western food unless you are counting in Maccas and KFC. Ladyboys are in very short supply in CR, not that they are my thing. Phayao? Dead as a doornail, where is this super cuisine?

2 minutes ago, bazza73 said:

Your post would be informative if it was correct - sadly, it's misleading. There's a very good Spanish restaurant near the turnoff to Thoeng in CR. Perhaps it's not in your price range.  I will concede there's not much Western food unless you are counting in Maccas and KFC. Ladyboys are in very short supply in CR, not that they are my thing. Phayao? Dead as a doornail, where is this super cuisine?

There's one Spanish restaurant but not in other peoples' price range? 

Ladyboys are in a very short supply but they're not your thing?

How comes that you act like the first expat from CR, but you only know one Spanish restaurant and only a few ladyboys?

No comprente, hombre. 

36 minutes ago, ajarngreg said:

I drove through the whole city today and didn't even see some kids playing with some water.

Are you Superman/Superwoman. At what time of day, today, did you manage to fly over and cover the whole city and not see water throwing?

I have seen, and been gently watered, so far today, all around the Pantip/Anussarn Market/Loi Khroi area since Midday.

Even encountered some over exuberant throwers but they seemed to keep themselves to themselves when given a little wave of the hand to indicate ‘not the gun soaking please’.

Edited by scottiejohn
keyboard spelling problem!

33 minutes ago, StevieH said:

whereabouts are you? got to go into town shortly for dinner and don't fancy getting soaked.

I quick round trip to the Night bazaar revealed a group on Changklan rd, outside the Galare Bazaar as well as a group outside the Rasta bar, next to River Market. I would imagine there would be some inside the old city where young people gather.

For those wanting to beat up the early birds I'd go for the group on Changklan road as none of them were over 8 yrs old and only 1 was farang. As for the I'd-call-the-police brigade, the group outside Rasta bar would be a good bet - mostly farang, may even be DRUNK, and the Thai owner has set it up for them. Let us know how you got on, won't you?

8 minutes ago, scottiejohn said:

Are you Superman/Superwoman. At what time of day, today, did you manage to fly over and cover the whole city and not see water throwing?

I have seen, and been gently watered, so far today, all around the Pantip/Anussarn Market/Loi Khroi area since Midday.

Even encountered some over exuberant throwers but they seemed to kept themselves to themselves when given a little wave of the hand to indicate ‘not the gun soaking please’.

Tomorrow a wave of the hand will not be enough. I have a special glare that I reserve for this time of year for the kids I encounter when I am going about my business and not prepared for getting wet -  the kids with the glint in their eye that says 'Oh look, a Farang'.  It is a don't-even-think-about-it glare that never fails. I'm just about to try it out in the mirror, in case I need to pop out unexpectedly tomorrow.

Edited by Chiengmaijoe

38 minutes ago, ajarngreg said:

There's one Spanish restaurant but not in other peoples' price range? 

Ladyboys are in a very short supply but they're not your thing?

How comes that you act like the first expat from CR, but you only know one Spanish restaurant and only a few ladyboys?

No comprente, hombre. 

Apologies for going off topic; however, I am doing you the courtesy of responding.

The Spanish restaurant I spoke of can set you back 1000 baht for a good feed. If you want a restaurant bill to make your eyes water, Le Coq D'Or in Chiang Mai is about 3000 baht for an evening meal.

I was suggesting perhaps Khon Kaen Kowboy may not know about such restaurants because his budget doesn't stretch to them. Quite a few  expats in that position.

I'm familiar with Jedyod Road ( CR ) and LoiKroh ( CM ). Don't think I've ever seen a ladyboy in Jedyod, there are truckloads of them down Loi Kroh.

I'm an expat who has lived in both CM  and CR - about 8 years now.How come you have your knickers in such a twist about what I'm posting? If you don't like what I'm saying, don't read it. Comprende?

Edited by bazza73
incorrect ID

10 hours ago, EricTh said:

Because most(if not all) foreigners don't realise that it's actually a Buddhist festival where you are supposed to do merits in a Buddhist temple.

Spraying water is supposed to be restricted to a few drops (like what monks do with a leaf if you ask for blessing) or bathe the Buddha statues.

Read the article I posted earlier.

Please stop saying it's a Buddhist festival about sprinkling drops of water on Buddha statues.

You need to research about the origins of this festival... and not from you ONE link which is clearly written by a someone who is pushing their Buddhist religion as an excuse to do a boring, softly, softly festival.. making sure people go to a Buddhist temple.

This festival was not Buddhist.  But it's got tangled up in Buddhism and temple rituals. It originated from Animist Dtai People. It is an animist festival.. from animist beliefs.. nothing to do with the teaching of Buddha.

It is to celebrate the New Year and the coming of the rains as well as fertility. It was not about sprinkling water of Buddha statues! 

I went out today around 15:00, went from Sansai to near Central Festival and then to Mae Rim and back around 18:00, through various villages. Did not see a single person anywhere wearing Songkran shirts or throwing any water anywhere. Usually there are children all over having fun during Songkran especially on a hot day. There are also usually company parties everywhere where people on the side of the road are drunk and throwing water at cars.

I guess most don't have the spirit this year due to the mourning period?

6 hours ago, Chiengmaijoe said:

Tomorrow a wave of the hand will not be enough. I have a special glare that I reserve for this time of year for the kids I encounter when I am going about my business and not prepared for getting wet -  the kids with the glint in their eye that says 'Oh look, a Farang'.  It is a don't-even-think-about-it glare that never fails. I'm just about to try it out in the mirror, in case I need to pop out unexpectedly tomorrow.

Hope the glare fails and you get soaked. Its Songkran <deleted>

3 hours ago, elektrified said:

I went out today around 15:00, went from Sansai to near Central Festival and then to Mae Rim and back around 18:00, through various villages. Did not see a single person anywhere wearing Songkran shirts or throwing any water anywhere. Usually there are children all over having fun during Songkran especially on a hot day. There are also usually company parties everywhere where people on the side of the road are drunk and throwing water at cars.

I think this year the Thais are keeping it to the official days that start tomorrow. Can not be to careful in the North.

2 hours ago, Throatwobbler said:

Hope the glare fails and you get soaked. Its Songkran <deleted>

Thanks. Personally, I hope everyone enjoys Songkran, yourself included, it is New Year after all.

My post was intended to be humorous, and clearly,  but not surprisingly, it was over your head. However, as in most humour there is always an element of truth. In case you didn't know, most young Thai kids understand that it is inappropriate to throw water on an older person going about their business, and for the odd one that doesn't, I'm quite happy to remind them.

On the day I take the grandkids out, and I'm appropriately dressed, I'm quite happy to be soaked, but I think it is my duty, as an elder person living here, to remind youngsters that though Songkran can be a lot of fun, they should still remember to respect their elders, which is an important part of Songkran, after all. As usual, I expect my children will perform the ceremonial washing of my feet, ask for forgiveness for their sins during the last year, and for my blessings for the new year. Respect is still an important part of everyday life in Thailand, and a very important part of Songkran - a tradition I'm happy to uphold. If it bothers you, that's not really my concern. So long as your happy, that's all that matters.

Edited by Chiengmaijoe

11 hours ago, elektrified said:

I did see a few around Chang Phuek area. I was a victim.

6 minutes ago, jak2002003 said:

Started Wednesday.... I got soaked while shopping... thought it was going to start Thursday (Today).  Ups. 

I got sprayed yesterday too while on my bike.

I am holed up in my room today waiting for the splashing to stop at 7 pm

On 07/04/2017 at 11:40 PM, EricTh said:

And also ignorant morons!

Songkran is a Buddhist New Year and it's akin to Muslims celebrating Muslim New Year or the Christians celebrating Christmas holidays.

It's not a shooting water party . The original practice is to bathe the Buddha statues with water for purity.

Nowadays, people have forgotten the original meaning and start spraying humans just for joy.

I think you'll find the Thai to be most ignorant to the celebration of Songkran. It's not actually a 3-day waterfight, you know.

19 hours ago, Gonzo the Face said:

There were hundreds of Thai and foreign morons at Maya last night (12th) assulting each other with water.

It's Thais who have ruined their New Year festivities, not the relatively few foreigners who get involved.

18 hours ago, bazza73 said:

Apologies for going off topic; however, I am doing you the courtesy of responding.

The Spanish restaurant I spoke of can set you back 1000 baht for a good feed. If you want a restaurant bill to make your eyes water, Le Coq D'Or in Chiang Mai is about 3000 baht for an evening meal.

I was suggesting perhaps Khon Kaen Kowboy may not know about such restaurants because his budget doesn't stretch to them. Quite a few  expats in that position.

I'm familiar with Jedyod Road ( CR ) and LoiKroh ( CM ). Don't think I've ever seen a ladyboy in Jedyod, there are truckloads of them down Loi Kroh.

I'm an expat who has lived in both CM  and CR - about 8 years now.How come you have your knickers in such a twist about what I'm posting? If you don't like what I'm saying, don't read it. Comprende?

And the PIGS can afford 1000 for  a meal? Complete with ice in wine?  CR sucks...face the music....crackdowns on visa runners was the nail in the coffin for a very marginal highlife scene.  Ladyboys on JETYOD maybe you should have checked.

9 minutes ago, JaseTheBass said:

There were hundreds of Thai and foreign morons at Maya last night (12th) assulting each other with water.

It's Thais who have ruined their New Year festivities, not the relatively few foreigners who get involved.

Here's a photo I took in 1985. It's changed , but as you can see, the water-throwing has been a part of it for quite a while. And don't forget that for the older Thais there will be plenty of focus by them on the traditional, community side of things, especially at the temples. I know some older Thais don't like the water-throwing , as older people will, but the vast majority are enjoying themselves, having the family visit etc.  I don't think the Thais will be moaning and bitching because it is a time to be happy and to celebrate the New Year . 

Throwing water.jpg

44 minutes ago, JaseTheBass said:

I think you'll find the Thai to be most ignorant to the celebration of Songkran. It's not actually a 3-day waterfight, you know.

I think you'll find that the Thais  know most about their New Year, the importance of it,  that it is a time to celebrate, visit the family,  pay respect to their elders, as well as visit the temples to make merit. They can do that and party too. 

It is the tourists that see Songkran as just a huge water-fight, but to be fair to them, that is how it is promoted.

For a lot of the old expats it's a time to revel in their misery.

Edited by Chiengmaijoe

29 minutes ago, steven100 said:

a bunch of stupid farangs with no brains and don't think about what they are portraying.

Thais walking past will just place another farang hate nail in there coffin...

I don't know if you are commenting on my photo, but there was hardly a farang in sight in 1985, and none in the photo. 

I think you'll find that the only anti-farang sentiment during these 3 days will be from miserable old expats - the Thais are too busy enjoying themselves - it's New year!!  As for the Thais hating farangs comment, I can only assume you are talking from personal experience. It's not something I've come across. By far, It's the old expats that hate farangs more than anyone. If you need to verify that, check out the number of hateful venomous comments on this topic alone, yours included.

Anyway, while you are wallowing, I'm off out to meet up with a friend on Thapae road, there is a small parade today, I'm told, with the big one being on Saturday. Don't miss it.

Songkran buddha iStock.jpg

Edited by Chiengmaijoe

1 hour ago, JaseTheBass said:

Without a doubt, the post of the century.

Songkran is actually Thailand's New Year Celebration, not Farang New Year, you know?

Edited by ajarngreg

1 minute ago, ajarngreg said:

Without a doubt, the post of the century.

Songkran is actually Thailand;'s New Year Celebration, you know?

the word songkran comes from Sanskrit

it is an ancient Hindu festival

when the sun enters Aries

it means transformation

been practiced in SEA long before the Thai came to this part of the world

My goal this year is to not get wet . I will stay outside only after 8 PM . 

If I could choose I would have left the country as I did last year and enjoy some time in Macau instead.  Do I hate Songkran ? No I just don't like strangers splashing water at me.