Thinglish: Why professional Thais still use ‘ka’ and ‘krub’ when speaking English

snoop1130

Thinglish: Why professional Thais still use ‘ka’ and ‘krub’ when speaking English

By Prae Sakaowan

54621.PNG

Illustration: Praew Tansanga/ Coconuts Media

One of the most endearing characteristics of Thai people is their desire to be unfailingly polite. This is why they end their Thai sentences with “ka” and “krub.” But, many people wonder why they continue to use these oh-so-Thai endings even when they speak English.

Thai children are taught to make a habit of using these polite endings from a young age. Thai women end sentences with “ka” while Thai men use “krub” as dictated by social etiquette. What’s surprising is that many Thais still feel the need to say “ka” or “krub” even when they are not speaking or writing in Thai.

“In Thai ‘krub’ and ‘ka’ are polite particles added to the end of a sentence. There is no equivalent version of them in English,” said Tirote Thongnuan, a language expert and lecturer at Kasetsart University’s Translation Department.

Full Story: https://coconuts.co/bangkok/features/thinglish-professional-thais-still-use-ka-krub-speaking-english/

coconts_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Coconuts Bangkok 2017-4-7

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

“In Thai ‘krub’ and ‘ka’ are polite particles added to the end of a sentence. There is no equivalent version of them in English,” said Tirote Thongnuan, a language expert and lecturer at Kasetsart University’s Translation Department.......krub?

1 minute ago, grollies said:

“In Thai ‘krub’ and ‘ka’ are polite particles added to the end of a sentence. There is no equivalent version of them in English,” said Tirote Thongnuan, a language expert and lecturer at Kasetsart University’s Translation Department.......krub?

Well it's wrong because it would sound as written near to grub,  that's why google which is just one of the interpreters that get it so wrong, for flig sake say "kap khun krub" to a Thai person and they would laugh.

I've just pronounced " krub" to my Thai wife, she said you drunk or what. :laugh:

Probably the same reason why so many younger native English speakers can't formulate a single sentence without using "like". 

In the past it seemed to be predominantly young Americans, but recently I've noticed more and more young Brits using it too... 

I like so hate this word like... 

19 minutes ago, djayz said:

Probably the same reason why so many younger native English speakers can't formulate a single sentence without using "like". 

In the past it seemed to be predominantly young Americans, but recently I've noticed more and more young Brits using it too... 

I like so hate this word like... 

"like" is what's known as an impolite article,  along with "for sure" and "yupper"

13 minutes ago, tonray said:

"like" is what's known as an impolite article,  along with "for sure" and "yupper"

I consider it, and people who abuse it, to be obnoxious. "Impolite" doesn't come even remotely close to describing my contempt for people who can't drop it from a single sentence. ?

Edited by djayz

1 minute ago, djayz said:

I consider it, and people who abuse it, to be obnoxious. "Impolite" doesn't come even remotely close to describing my contempt for people who can't drop it from a single sentence. ?

I "prolly" agree with most of that... Ha ha

2 hours ago, djayz said:

Like it drives me to drink listening to those around me at work these days using "COOL".
Mostly both people ending their conversation with "cool".

11 hours ago, chickenslegs said:

Krap!

Please don't tell me I've been saying it wrong all these years.

I'm wondering about "krub" as well.

Krup as in cup.

Krap as in car.

I'm hearing the latter one, and using it. Maybe some are refraining from using "krap" because they're reading/hearing a flat a (as in "crap"). "Krup" as in "cup" does not sound like what the thais say, unless you pronounce "cup" as "karp".

1 minute ago, janhkt said:

I'm wondering about "krub" as well.

Krup as in cup.

Krap as in car.

I'm hearing the latter one, and using it. Maybe some are refraining from using "krap" because they're reading/hearing a flat a (as in "crap"). "Krup" as in "cup" does not sound like what the thais say, unless you pronounce "cup" as "karp".

KRUP, as in cup, is correct. Roll the "R" like a Scotsman to be perfectly correct. Just as Thai can't speak English correctly, same same, no difference, with Thai language where "R" can be pronounced "L" or omitted completely 

14 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

Well it's wrong because it would sound as written near to grub,  that's why google which is just one of the interpreters that get it so wrong, for flig sake say "kap khun krub" to a Thai person and they would laugh.

I've just pronounced " krub" to my Thai wife, she said you drunk or what. :laugh:

That was kinda my point.

Difficult to transliterate Thai to English. So this chap has transliterated to 'krub' but the word is pronounced 'krap', hardly unknown for words in English to be non-phonetic.

Hiccough.

In fact Hindi (the national language of India) is the only other language in the world with an equivalent to ka or krab, and it is : "ji". This is also a suffix at the end of a sentence, indicates politeness and good manners. However, can be used by both men and women. Just as in Thai, they'll frequently say "Ka" or Khrab to say yes, or agree, in India they'll frequently say "Ji" (pronounced jee, not jy).