SURVEY: Do you agree with not allowing passengers in the back of pickups?

Scott

SURVEY: Do you agree with not allowing passengers in the back of pickups?  

335 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

They should be allowed within the inner city but not on highways and roads exceeding 60 km per hour

This is still a 3rd world country

Child safety seats are not even considered here 

My sister in law was in an accident last year and her younger kid was thrown about in the car but not seriously  hurt.

Even still there is no consideration for a child car seat Even after that

Of course the ruling is a good one, freight areas of any vehicle are not meant for people.

But this ruling has a huge economic and personal impact on Thailand.

A timeline is needed, not a shock.

They should be allowed within the inner city but not on highways and roads exceeding 60 km per hour

This is still a 3rd world country

Child safety seats are not even considered here 

My sister in law was in an accident last year and her younger kid was thrown about in the car but not seriously  hurt.

Even still there is no consideration for a child car seat Even after that

60 kph is absolutely deadly if you hit a pole

So IMO they should be banned as people movers

There is an easy solution.

Owners can replace Pick ups with commercial long wheel based vans with after market triple(3 rows) bench seat, seat belts and sliding windows. The whole package will be a bit cheaper than a pick up and seat 9 in the back.

Plenty of room for storage as well

No, Thailand like the states have many pickup trucks. Accidents do happen but a person who sits on the back of a pickup knows they are taking a higher risk, the same as someone smoking knows they are taking a higher risk. In the U.K I had rarely sat in the back of a pickup truck. Mainly because not many people have one. But When I went with my mum to carboot sales alot when I was a teenager I'd be in the back of her hatchback car squashed in with all the bric-o-brak, furniture, etc. No seatbelt on. I'm sure this is still the case in the U.K. People got to make a living.

So, no I don't agree with this new pickup law. Thailand is the land of pickup trucks! Impose this new law would be a very unpopular move by the current government.

The main reason there is a high number of deaths on the roads of Bangkok is that many people don't wear a helmet when riding a motorcycle. Not pickups overturning with people in the back.

3 minutes ago, Wilsonandson said:

No, Thailand like the states have many pickup trucks. Accidents do happen but a person who sits on the back of a pickup knows they are taking a higher risk, the same as someone smoking knows they are taking a higher risk. In the U.K I had rarely sat in the back of a pickup truck. Mainly because not many people have one. But When I went with my mum to carboot sales alot when I was a teenager I'd be in the back of her hatchback car squashed in with all the bric-o-brak, furniture, etc. No seatbelt on. I'm sure this is still the case in the U.K. People got to make a living.

So, no I don't agree with this new pickup law. Thailand is the land of pickup trucks! Impose this new law would be a very unpopular move by the current government.

The main reason there is a high number of deaths on the roads of Bangkok is that many people don't wear a helmet when riding a motorcycle. Not pickups overturning with people in the back.

I agree.

It seems unlikely that anyone actually wants to sit/stand in the back of a pickup (apart from Songkran...), but rather have no other choice.

Obviously its not as safe as sitting in a car - but then again I'd be suprised if riding a 'bike is not even more unsafe when it comes to casualty statistics.  Should riding a 'bike be banned too?

“Do you agree with not allowing passengers in the back of pickups?

I think they should be allowed in the back of pick up trucks....IF....They let me pick who the passengers are going to be. 

Farangs advise, helpful hints and suggestions mean eF all in this country. So we can all scream and shout from the roof tops, but it is not going to change a damn thing. Remember Shane and his mom, from his bike accident on Phuket, trying to get the wear a helmet campaign, well it only lasted about 7 months then the police even stopped wearing a helmet. I wonder how Vietnam change in a very short space of time....executions???

14 minutes ago, Inepto Cracy said:

Farangs advise, helpful hints and suggestions mean eF all in this country. So we can all scream and shout from the roof tops, but it is not going to change a damn thing. Remember Shane and his mom, from his bike accident on Phuket, trying to get the wear a helmet campaign, well it only lasted about 7 months then the police even stopped wearing a helmet. I wonder how Vietnam change in a very short space of time....executions???

A few years ago while working outside Saigon I saw, a couple of times, police stop/checks on bikes for no helmet, tax and licence etc. Any offence the bike was picked up and thrown into a large truck. Note not lifted into, thrown into.

Once the back of the truck was piled with bikes it was driven away. What happened to the bikes from there on I don't know.

Seemed to change the young bikers attitude fairly quickly though.

6 minutes ago, overherebc said:

A few years ago while working outside Saigon I saw, a couple of times, police stop/checks on bikes for no helmet, tax and licence etc. Any offence the bike was picked up and thrown into a large truck. Note not lifted into, thrown into.

Once the back of the truck was piled with bikes it was driven away. What happened to the bikes from there on I don't know.

It's the sort of thing that an autocratic, communist regime can get away with.

I was in China when they banned the use of mobile phones when driving and when they introduced the ban on plastic bags.

It happened - bang - just like that!

Maybe Thailand should stop faffing around with pseudo democracy!

If you let children decide what's for dinner you will get a steady diet of candy and ice cream.  Adults have to make adult decisions. People should wear a helmets, not drive drunk, and not ride in the back of pickups. I suppose some accommodation could be made. Exception in city limits with a 50kph speed limit. Of course it is inconvenient but it will save lives.

I was in China when they banned the use of mobile phones when driving and when they introduced the ban on plastic bags.

It was already a law here. It's taken the junta to enforce what the democratically elected governments would not!

3 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

Yes, I have made two trips to Vietnam and the public do wear helmets. 

Thailand is home to the I do not care, I will not and me me me culture. The government is too weak to get the police and mayors to change nor enforce any laws. Policeman kills citizen, bang, one inactive post coming up. In most human societies, the individual is up on criminal charges of murder, placed in a cell awaiting trail and conviction. Not in Thailand, couple of wai's and couple of Baht, you are free to go to an inactive post.

12 minutes ago, overherebc said:

The problem in Thailand is if they introduced and implemented laws like helmets to be worn or your bike is confiscated, no riding in the back of pick ups, no kids under the age of 18 allowed to drive scooters, no multiple riders on scooters it's always the same reply, how can people get too work or kids get too school ? 

Its farcical too see the Police stopping Scooter Riders one day, fining them and next day ignoring them.

Childs Safety seats are very expensive, the average Thai couldn't afford one.

In the U.K. Seat Belts came into Law in1983, front seat belt wearing regulations for drivers and passengers (both adult and children) came into force. In 1989, wearing rear seat belts became compulsory for children under 14.

Seat belts were fitted in cars around 1973/74 so it was a gradual thing, will it happen in Thailand, only if the Police strictly enforce it and if they follow the line of helmet wearing they won't.

1 hour ago, Ijustcashier said:

Owners can replace Pick ups with commercial long wheel based vans with after market triple(3 rows) bench seat, seat belts and sliding windows. The whole package will be a bit cheaper than a pick up and seat 9 in the back.

This idea has great merit. My wife's late brother bought a songthaew after his retirement and used it as a 'community bus service' for the village. It didn't have a schedule, It was like the 'dial a ride' service that we have in the UK.

The vehicle suggested above would obviously be be more suitable and could possibly be acquired as a community project.

In Western Australia this was the main form of transport for the Indigenous people especially in the communities, probably due to poverty and there was always a large number of deaths when there was a rollover. So the government initially made the traybacks have a cage put on the back to reduce the issue of the passengers being flung out and providing a form of protection. This did not work probably because it was not policed properly and the cages were not attached properly and they were not made materials of the necessary strength. Now passengers are banned. Ultimately, my belief is, based on seeing what has occurred, a total ban is the only solution. Whilst it does cause problems for the poorest, it is outweighed by the number of deaths. One death is too great vs the inconvenience.

10 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

This idea has great merit. My wife's late brother bought a songthaew after his retirement and used it as a 'community bus service' for the village. It didn't have a schedule, It was like the 'dial a ride' service that we have in the UK.

The vehicle suggested above would obviously be be more suitable and could possibly be acquired as a community project.

AAh, the beginnings of Uber and grab a songthaew. Cool.

think about what is most important to issan people?   convience or life?  life is cheap. convience is expensive.  this is how isaan thinks.   this is their way of life...   it is not a western way, but we are not in the west.  we chose to live here and we need to adhere to thai ways of life.  it is the same as the muslims going over to england and making sharia law..  most of the english dont like it..  most of the thais dont want western rules either.

and that is my 2 cents, and probably not worth anything more than that.

18 minutes ago, jamie2009 said:

The problem in Thailand is if they introduced and implemented laws like helmets to be worn or your bike is confiscated, no riding in the back of pick ups, no kids under the age of 18 allowed to drive scooters, no multiple riders on scooters it's always the same reply, how can people get too work or kids get too school ? 

Its farcical too see the Police stopping Scooter Riders one day, fining them and next day ignoring them.

Childs Safety seats are very expensive, the average Thai couldn't afford one.

In the U.K. Seat Belts came into Law in1983, front seat belt wearing regulations for drivers and passengers (both adult and children) came into force. In 1989, wearing rear seat belts became compulsory for children under 14.

Seat belts were fitted in cars around 1973/74 so it was a gradual thing, will it happen in Thailand, only if the Police strictly enforce it and if they follow the line of helmet wearing they won't.

yes agree ....  thailand is still a poor country and millions of school kids and farmers rely on riding in the back.   I think rules like this are detrimental to thais, although safety is an issue.  Difficult to agree with this rule. 

Allow on minor but not major roads. Thailand is an agrarian culture and farms are dependent on pickups for a variety of things- people have to be able to get about to work. Limit the number of people allowed in the back and make sure they sit in the bed, not on the sides.

Seeing 20 people crammed in the back of a pickup is ridiculous and there have been a couple of serious accidents on the hill near me with Burmese scattered all over the road.

A compromise could be some really strong roll-over bars on the back of the pick-ups coupled with a wire cage over the lot.  This would not prevent all injuries and even deaths but it would stop the horrific incidents where the occupants are thrown out onto the road and in some cases crushed by the rolling pick-up or by passing traffic.