Thailand Elite seeks to lure UK pensioners

rooster59

Thailand Elite seeks to lure UK pensioners

By THE SUNDAY NATION, AGENCIES

THAILAND has launched a campaign aimed at attracting pensioner-age Britons to move to the country after the United Kingdom formally leaves the European Union, a British media outlet has reported.

Pruet Boobphakam, the president of Thailand Elite, a government agency tasked with running the “exclusive” visa scheme, told the Press Association that Britain’s divorce from the EU was a chance to strengthen ties between the two countries.

“I think that Brexit will give us an opportunity to even open more, or to introduce Thailand even on a broader scale,” he said.

“You can live in Thailand for up to 20 years if you’d like to. Therefore it would be a good opportunity for both countries, in terms of UK people and the Thai people,” Pruet was quoted in www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk on Friday.

However, the website said the offer of Thailand’s 20-year residence programme, which was originally launched in 2003, does not come cheap, costing US$600 (Bt20,775) a year, on top of a $60,000 fee, although promoters say the low cost of living can help make up for the bill.

It also offers 10-year residence for around $30,000, with perks like VIP transport services and annual health checks at a private hospital, as well as a five-year option for $15,000.

Juerg Steffen, group chief operating officer at Henley & Partners, an international residence and citizenship advisory firm that promotes the programme, said visa schemes like Thailand’s were providing a clarity amid Brexit uncertainty.

“If you would like to retire today somewhere abroad as a UK citizen, then suddenly because of Brexit it’s not as clear that you can do that,” Steffen said.

“You have to wait for the next two years to see if you can settle in the EU. But with Thailand it is clear,” he said.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/national/30311778

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-04-09

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

18 minutes ago, rooster59 said:

“If you would like to retire today somewhere abroad as a UK citizen, then suddenly because of Brexit it’s not as clear that you can do that,” Steffen said.

what absolute BS!  IMO only a complete fool would go for this Elite card. Anyone thinking of settling in the EU is not thinking about Thailand, Why would they?

Edited by CharlieK

The problem is that you can trust the Thai government not to move

the goal posts once you have joined and bought the Elite card,

they have the knack to change things around, mostly for the worsts,

making staying in Thailand more complicated and convoluted every year.....

Do they think that the wealthy people who can afford this are going to still queue up at some office every 90 days/leave the country periodically, reapply every year having to reprove every little thing etc etc so as to keep up with the ever more stringent conditions for retirement visa?

4 hours ago, dbrenn said:

Retirement visas (and other types of temporary visas) are getting harder to get while Thailand Elite is being heavily advertised.

Rich guys in, poor guys out. 

Do you have any evidence for retirement visas being more difficult to get? No one I know has had any probems at all provided they have the right documentation.

They really do believe their little fantasy that Thailand is the epicenter of the universe don't they? Who on earth with that disposable amount of cash is clueless enough to believe this silly idea will likely be rescinded at the drop of a hat in a third world country with 19 coups. Idiots.

4 hours ago, Somtamnication said:

What low cost of living? :shock1:

I was going to comment on this as well….apart from housing, hotel, Labour and car insurance I can't think of much that is cheaper in Thailand. Cars are very expensive and so is food….plus if you are older, you have the issue of healthcare. No a waste of 60K pounds plus 600 pounds a year.

Just now, retarius said:

I was going to comment on this as well….apart from housing, hotel, Labour and car insurance I can't think of much that is cheaper in Thailand. Cars are very expensive and so is food….plus if you are older, you have the issue of healthcare. No a waste of 60K pounds plus 600 pounds a year.

Agreed. Many UK pensioners would choose somewhere closer to the NHS. In all honesty, just how many UK couples of pension age do you know? There's a good reason the overwhelming majority of UK pensioners are male, and I very much doubt even they would fork out that amount for what's on offer.

I'd knock car innsurance of the list

4 minutes ago, retarius said:

I'd knock car insurance off the list as it can be more in Thailand. Looking at chocolate in Tops yesterday which still had 1.99 euro stickers on 'reduced' to- 145 baht! 

Typical Thailand trying to put a roof on a house that does not exist. First things first make staying here for expats more enjoyable easier immigration laws, a good health care scheme and the end to double pricing (wishful thinking) That is the foundation then add the roof. 

5 hours ago, rooster59 said:

Pruet Boobphakam, the president of Thailand Elite, a government agency tasked with running the “exclusive” visa scheme, told the Press Association that Britain’s divorce from the EU was a chance to strengthen ties between the two countries.

What a load of manure. 

They should be promoting this to their masters in China.

thailand is well past it's sell by date for retiring, the vast majority will stay closer to home and only the single old men would consider Thailand.

My brother recently moved to Equador and we when compare notes I'm shocked at the differences.

As soon as my wife can wrap up some family business we are out of here.

1 hour ago, Luckysilk said:

thailand is well past it's sell by date for retiring, the vast majority will stay closer to home and only the single old men would consider Thailand.

My brother recently moved to Equador and we when compare notes I'm shocked at the differences.

Adios, buena suerte.

£60,000 would buy a nice 1 bedroom flat in many areas of Spain and it would be your own.  A well maintained outside area and most likely a pool you can use. Fresh food in the local markets, local Tapas bars etc etc. Two hour flight back to UK for peanuts You would have an increasing pension every year.

I don't believe the conditions will change after Brexit as much as the 'prophets of doom' suggest.

Visa rules maybe but not freedom of movement as it is now.

ditto

Even for single older men, I don't see the point.  Yes, I know, the obvious reason that people always mention is women, but should we take that for granted?  

If you're talking about prostitutes, you can get that in most European countries too.  50 euros will get you a quickie in my home country, and some of the girls are absolute stunners, model quality.  

As for relationships, how often do you see a retirement age expat with a beautiful, sexy woman?   One you'd move to the other side of the world for?  When was the last time you thought "lucky guy!" when you saw a couple (not just for one night) in public?  

No offense intended to those who love their Thai girlfriend or wife, my point is just that that's hardly a strong reason for why retired men in general should move here.  Once your target market becomes Thai women older than 50, might as well be in Spain and find a woman who's culturally more compatible and about as good-looking.

Edited by ChidlomDweller

2 hours ago, retarius said:

Do you have any evidence for retirement visas being more difficult to get? No one I know has had any probems at all provided they have the right documentation.

The poster is saying it as it is, the Thai government only want the rich here, that is why they making average expats jump through all these hoops.

2 hours ago, mduras01 said:

When you have money, $60,000 is nothing.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

You don't get rich by throwing money away! Just how many British expats would have that much to throw away anyway? Certainly the idiot who came up with this Idea doesn't know or he wouldn't target UK expats, lol. As for the law firm who have won the right to market this. Must be desperate for business. Not expecting massive queues to buy one of these.  

2 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

The poster is saying it as it is, the Thai government only want the rich here, that is why they making average expats jump through all these hoops.

Are the hoops any different in any other country?  This isn't a hoop so much as it is a scam! If this is really Thailands idea of getting better expats/tourists then I think Thailand will lose out to other countries in the area. 

I have tried to find some logic in this scheme...... But funnily enough I cant! They are targeting the wrong age group!

How much of a no-brainer is it, to stick to the current retirement visa requirements? IE: 800k I the bank, and then pay the yearly fees out of the 1-2% interest you can get.

BTW. For anyone interested, an OAP in the UK gets these benefits = https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/benefits/older-people/benefits-for-older-people/