why do the good massage ladys come from chiang mai

I get a lot of massages in various parts of Thailand and it seems the best ones come from chiang mai. am I correct in this assumption?  i did go to laos once and their did seem to be good massage ladys from their as well. why is this?  it seems like northern thailand is where all the skilled hands come from .........NOTE.  please dont respond about any sex massage......im speaking about legitimate massage here.........i wonder if in Burma their might be good massage as well.  

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Probably b/c there's a higher percentage of real massage places up there. Many of the massage girls from BKK and elsewhere in Thailand come from Isan and are probably thinking more about selling extras. No joke. I've been in a few places in BKK where the girls told me that's what they're all there for and I shouldn't come back if I don't want any of that.

22 minutes ago, Foexie said:

That's very simple: CM has the best massage schools of Thailand.

They come from all over to study there.

whats odd though is when I visited chiang mai I didn't seem to get good massage .  but when I go to other places. specifically I will use ko tao as example its easy to get good massage. they all seem to come from chiang mai.........i suppose their are only so many customers in chiang mai and so they travel to get work. 

I have to say as a person that has traveled thailand extensively and Vietnam and cambodia and lao to a certain degree. that the best hands come from northern Thailand.  now Vietnam has its own style that is nice as well. but harder to find a good massage therapist their. although they do exist. just not as easy as in Thailand.  I might go visit lao again. I went their once and the mother presents the daughter for massage.   YES ITS ALL legit massage.................and the girl is 18..........I believe that massage has a cultural value in some societys.  lao for sure. as well as thailand.   their are plenty of good hands out their that don't need to give sex for survival.  in fact I would venture to say that if a good massage lady is in Thailand she is either working in a top end spa or she works overseas in the middle east or somewhere?  

1 hour ago, Foexie said:

That's very simple: CM has the best massage schools of Thailand.

They come from all over to study there.

Agree. It's also something passed down on the female side of the family. My northern Thai GF  is not trained, but can do a good 15 minute massage on my legs and back. In turn, her grand-daughter does a massage for my GF.

Out of Chiang Rai towards Phan, there are a number of good massage shops. Usually 150 baht/hour.

1 minute ago, bazza73 said:

Agree. It's also something passed down on the female side of the family. My northern Thai GF  is not trained, but can do a good 15 minute massage on my legs and back. In turn, her grand-daughter does a massage for my GF.

Out of Chiang Rai towards Phan, there are a number of good massage shops. Usually 150 baht/hour.

chaing rai near chaing mai. this whole area has lots of good hands I agree I think this is being passed down from mother to daughter. I saw this In lao.

13 hours ago, CharlieH said:

Dangerous places to be avoided, in my opinion. No real training, no knowledge of anatomy, fine for a "feel-good" factor but not much more.

Serious educated Massagist know about anatomy and the Risks and can handle this. Contrary to happy happy Massagegirls, they're Massage could be dangerous.

8 hours ago, eldragon said:

Probably b/c there's a higher percentage of real massage places up there. Many of the massage girls from BKK and elsewhere in Thailand come from Isan and are probably thinking more about selling extras. No joke. I've been in a few places in BKK where the girls told me that's what they're all there for and I shouldn't come back if I don't want any of that.

Customer relations at their finest. 

It all depends on what you want a massage for.   I have no comment on relaxing or pleasure massages. Not my area of expertise but I do enjoy a gentle and relaxing massage  Different strokes for different folks.  LITERALLY!!!    However, therapeutically I do not rate very highly the so-called traditional Thai massages I have experienced.  And I have experienced many, many massages, travelling and now living here as I do.  I love massage but it I agree if you are saying that it is hard to find a good THERAPEUTIC one.   There is way too much emphasis here on pressing, pushing and elbowing and not enough on lengthening the muscles by long strokes which are essential to detox the muscle tissue .  Many people including most masseurs fail to realize that this detoxing is one of the main benefits of a "good" therapeutic massage.  Pressing and pushing is frequently followed to a point of bruising in many many cases.  In my previous life I used to see many people severely bruised by masseurs including Thai masseurs.  I could even tell who had done the bruising in some cases, the marks were so distinctive.  And I mean black and blue bruises, painful to the touch.   Many Thias actually expect a massage to hurt or it is not doing them any good.   A good massage will wash most of the lactic acid residue out of the muscles and thereby reduce the build up of the waste products that make joints painful.   This is NOT achieved by pushing, painful elbowing or bruising.  Discomfort on badly stressed muscles with high concentrations of waste products  is to be expected but genuine pain or bruising is wrong.   Those wanting a really good  THERAPEUTIC massage  need to look for an oil massage with emphasis on long strong cleansing strokes in both directions with a minimum of discomfort and no stretching of ligaments.  I had to have a steroid injection into my hand on my return home after the stretching back of the fingers during one massage here.  Massage injuries are not uncommon.   Bruising is downright dangerous for you.  If you end up with bruises it was a potentially dangerous massage. As our moderator CharlieH says, be careful out there and do not let masseurs hurt you.  Some of them are quite untrained and some can be downright dangerous.  If it hurts, make them stop, NOW! BTW, as a completely retired  person I am not involved in a any way in massage or tuition at any level in Thailand.  

Edited by The Deerhunter

I don't do massages.Its not that i have anything against them, its just something Ive never been intrested in.

However, on my first visit to Hua Hin, i did find a place over looking the sea. The building was completely made of glass. Walls, ceiling, even the floor.I found it strange, but curiously relaxing. It wasn't until i left the place that i saw the name of it. It was called 'massage in a bottle' boom boom:cheesy::clap2:

1 hour ago, The Deerhunter said:

It all depends on what you want a massage for.   I have no comment on relaxing or pleasure massages. Not my area of expertise but I do enjoy a gentle and relaxing massage  Different strokes for different folks.  LITERALLY!!!    However, therapeutically I do not rate very highly the so-called traditional Thai massages I have experienced.  And I have experienced many, many massages, travelling and now living here as I do.  I love massage but it I agree if you are saying that it is hard to find a good THERAPEUTIC one.   There is way too much emphasis here on pressing, pushing and elbowing and not enough on lengthening the muscles by long strokes which are essential to detox the muscle tissue .  Many people including most masseurs fail to realize that this detoxing is one of the main benefits of a "good" therapeutic massage.  Pressing and pushing is frequently followed to a point of bruising in many many cases.  In my previous life I used to see many people severely bruised by masseurs including Thai masseurs.  I could even tell who had done the bruising in some cases, the marks were so distinctive.  And I mean black and blue bruises, painful to the touch.   Many Thias actually expect a massage to hurt or it is not doing them any good.   A good massage will wash most of the lactic acid residue out of the muscles and thereby reduce the build up of the waste products that make joints painful.   This is NOT achieved by pushing, painful elbowing or bruising.  Discomfort on badly stressed muscles with high concentrations of waste products  is to be expected but genuine pain or bruising is wrong.   Those wanting a really good  THERAPEUTIC massage  need to look for an oil massage with emphasis on long strong cleansing strokes in both directions with a minimum of discomfort and no stretching of ligaments.  I had to have a steroid injection into my hand on my return home after the stretching back of the fingers during one massage here.  Massage injuries are not uncommon.   Bruising is downright dangerous for you.  If you end up with bruises it was a potentially dangerous massage. As our moderator CharlieH says, be careful out there and do not let masseurs hurt you.  Some of them are quite untrained and some can be downright dangerous.  If it hurts, make them stop, NOW! BTW, as a completely retired  person I am not involved in a any way in massage or tuition at any level in Thailand.  

There are three levels here - bow bow, gan gan and nak nak ( gentle, medium and hard ). I opt for gentle. The female masseuses are better at gentle, I sometimes have to tell the men to back off.

I've had several massage women who have had to wake me up when they have finished. IMHO that's the best type of massage.

Apparently Koreans demand the heaviest massage possible. Unfortunately, if you ask for an oil massage here it will be interpreted as wanting extra services.

Edited by bazza73
Addition

After someone died last year from a Thai massage, my g.f. refuses to get one.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4728864/#sec1-2title

But if you get a foot massage, everything is below the knee.  Hard to go wrong there.

But yes, I got a Korean massage in America last year and she came dangerously close to my spine.  Not safe unless you are desperate.

It really depends.  Even in America, you can graduate massage school in as little as 2 months.  The best massage I've gotten was from someone who studied massage for 5 years, then studied in Japan, China and Thailand.  Obviously very overeducated for a therapist, but very skilled.

Edited by SiSePuede419
Added link

Best thai massage I have had is from two men, one is a blind man I have been using his service over eight years now, recently by word of mouth I have started using another man who is fantastic, these guys just use the right amount of pressure and is mostly with hands (they do not need to use elbows/knees much) I pay 200Baht for 1 hour Thai massage.

Oil massage I have from three ladies depending how I feel, they are all trained (credentials are from schools in Bkok) and good, one has big power one is delicate and one is a mix, I pay 300Baht/hour I always tip 100Baht as I am happy with service. 

I do not use happy ending joints as I want a good massage not a fumble. This is current price in Patong at four different places

6 hours ago, ujayujay said:

Serious educated Massagist know about anatomy and the Risks and can handle this. Contrary to happy happy Massagegirls, they're Massage could be dangerous.

Not dangerous using a few fingers or wrists like some of those half hearted ones. Elbows knees and standing on back could be dangerous perhaps if strong or heavy but a 40kg person would have to be terribly reckless or jump on middle of spine to be dangerous.

I thought Wat Po in Bangkok was no 1 for training.

1 hour ago, SiSePuede419 said:

After someone died last year from a Thai massage, my g.f. refuses to get one.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4728864/#sec1-2title

But if you get a foot massage, everything is below the knee.  Hard to go wrong there.

But yes, I got a Korean massage in America last year and she came dangerously close to my spine.  Not safe unless you are desperate.

It really depends.  Even in America, you can graduate massage school in as little as 2 months.  The best massage I've gotten was from someone who studied massage for 5 years, then studied in Japan, China and Thailand.  Obviously very overeducated for a therapist, but very skilled.

Heart attack. If a massage can trigger a heart attack so could 100 other things.

4 hours ago, bazza73 said:

There are three levels here - bow bow, gan gan and nak nak ( gentle, medium and hard ). I opt for gentle. The female masseuses are better at gentle, I sometimes have to tell the men to back off.

I've had several massage women who have had to wake me up when they have finished. IMHO that's the best type of massage.

Apparently Koreans demand the heaviest massage possible. Unfortunately, if you ask for an oil massage here it will be interpreted as wanting extra services.

Oil? I thought it was soapy. Somebody has misled me here. 

5 minutes ago, BigKahuna said:

Heart attack. If a massage can trigger a heart attack so could 100 other things.

OK like the old game think of a number from 1 to 10 and I will guess it guess what activity I am thinking of that might trigger the old ticker. No cheating now. 

6 hours ago, elgordo38 said:

its a bit of a rolling effect. People in the north seem have to work harder than say in Bangkok. Then the wealth rolls further south into the tourist area. 

u might be right about this. ive gone to krabi for instance and In that town its hard to get a decent massage.  on ko tao its easy their are literally a hundred therapists their and lets face it they are all shipped in.............in Bangkok I think its the same, they are shipped in i think. elgordo38 I think u hit it on the head.  massage is learned by the poor to make money and the poor live up north. that could be why whenever I get a good massage the lady is from the north............

1 minute ago, yogavnture said:

u might be right about this. ive gone to krabi for instance and In that town its hard to get a decent massage.  on ko tao its easy their are literally a hundred therapists their and lets face it they are all shipped in.............in Bangkok I think its the same, they are shipped in i think. elgordo38 I think u hit it on the head.  massage is learned by the poor to make money and the poor live up north. that could be why whenever I get a good massage the lady is from the north............

I was really hoping that up north. (and I know in lao i was getting some good massage in the small towns.) that this was a cultural thing from this area.  but u might be right. its a poor thing.  could be

Just now, yogavnture said:

I like the blind for a massage. My blind guy is tough on me and makes me holler uncle. According to a previous posting I should stop him. I am surprised he has not stopped on his own he surely must hear the words I mutter under my breath. 

Just now, elgordo38 said:

I like the blind for a massage. My blind guy is tough on me and makes me holler uncle. According to a previous posting I should stop him. I am surprised he has not stopped on his own he surely must hear the words I mutter under my breath. 

Blind Husband and wife team in Bangkok do good massages. No sight means they have to focus more on feel of muscles. The pair I saw talked and joked whole time. Great people.

14 minutes ago, elgordo38 said:

Oil? I thought it was soapy. Somebody has misled me here. 

Not at all. If you think about it, soap and oil are both good lubricants. I'll leave it at that, don't want to get you over-excited.

No sight also means they would miss any infections, wounds, sores, blisters, fungus, signs of surgery and more.

Yeah welcome to the world of  cross contamination. 

You have no idea where those hands have been or what they have been subjected to. Be honest have ever seen any of those people even wash their hands before putting them on you??? 

1 minute ago, CharlieH said:

No sight also means they would miss any infections, wounds, sores, blisters, fungus, signs of surgery and more.

Yeah welcome to the world of  cross contamination. 

You have no idea where those hands have been or what they have been subjected to. Be honest have ever seen any of those people even wash their hands before putting them on you??? 

Gives the term "laying on of hands" a whole new meaning I guess. Father time has created some internal wounds.