Jump to content

Had root canal + new crown, but tooth still hurts.


giddyup

Recommended Posts

I had a painful tooth that had been crowned, so I went to a popular dentist in Pattaya that came highly recommended. He obviously had to remove the crown and then gave me 3 sessions to do the root canal work. On the last session he took the mould for the new crown and on the following visit the crown was fitted. The first time I chewed anything on the side of the new crown I noticed some pain which hasn't gone away after one week.I imagined the whole point of the root canal is stop the tooth giving any pain and that hasn't happened. Total cost so far has been 10,000 baht, and I'm guessing that the dentist will advise that the tooth be removed. I had only one previous root canal in Australia, and after 3 treatment and more than $700 the dentist removed the tooth. So my 2 experiences with root canals has been less than satisfactory.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

How long has it been since the root canal?  There can be some swelling and inflammation in the tissues surrounding  the tooth that takes a while to subside. Anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) if not contraindicated will help greatly, as will rest (avoiding chewing on that side of the mouth) and time .

 

If it persists more than a few days to a week maximum, then either (1) the root canal was incomplete (rare) or (2) there is a problem with an adjacent tooth. In either event, a return trip to the dentist is indicated.

 

Since a root canal removes the nerve root, it should not be possible to feel pain in the tooth itself afterwards. But pain from adjacent teeth can be referred (feel like it is coming from there) and as mentioned there can be pain and inflamation from surrounding tissue.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Sheryl said:

How long has it been since the root canal?  There can be some swelling and inflammation in the tissues surrounding  the tooth that takes a while to subside. Anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) if not contraindicated will help greatly, as will rest (avoiding chewing on that side of the mouth) and time .

 

If it persists more than a few days to a week maximum, then either (1) the root canal was incomplete (rare) or (2) there is a problem with an adjacent tooth. In either event, a return trip to the dentist is indicated.

 

Since a root canal removes the nerve root, it should not be possible to feel pain in the tooth itself afterwards. But pain from adjacent teeth can be referred (feel like it is coming from there) and as mentioned there can be pain and inflamation from surrounding tissue.

Thanks for the response. It's been 6 days since the tooth was crowned. I hadn't felt any pain in the tooth after the root canal treatment prior to it being crowned, and I only get pain when I chew on that tooth and nothing when I don't. I can't see the dentist until the 27th of this month, he's on holidays, so hopefully the tooth will have settled down by then.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks for the response. It's been 6 days since the tooth was crowned. I hadn't felt any pain in the tooth after the root canal treatment prior to it being crowned, and I only get pain when I chew on that tooth and nothing when I don't. I can't see the dentist until the 27th of this month, he's on holidays, so hopefully the tooth will have settled down by then.

I recently broke a tooth, and went to the dentist who performed the first part of the root canal last week. My next visit is today.

Before she started the procedure she told me that she couldn't guarantee that the root canal would fix the pain from the tooth.

So it would seem it's possible to have a root canal and not fix the problem with that particular tooth; be it referred pain or what ever.

 

Sent from my SM-J700F using Tapatalk

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, carlyai said:

I recently broke a tooth, and went to the dentist who performed the first part of the root canal last week. My next visit is today.

Before she started the procedure she told me that she couldn't guarantee that the root canal would fix the pain from the tooth.

So it would seem it's possible to have a root canal and not fix the problem with that particular tooth; be it referred pain or what ever.

 

Sent from my SM-J700F using Tapatalk

 

 

 

I wasn't told that. I'll keep my fingers crossed and hope it settles down.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I wasn't told that. I'll keep my fingers crossed and hope it settles down.  

 

 

I've had root canals from her before, but it's the first time she's said this. So she was telling me that I may go through all the procedure and it may not work, do I still want to go ahead?

With the cost and questionable outcome.

I've had many root canals, and the first time I've been told this, so yours is probably different.

Just as an aside, do you get sinus?

I had a lot of work done, root canals etc in Bali when I worked there. I had lots of pain in my upper teeth, sometimes, and when I went back to Australia, it was suggested that the metal fillings used in Bali could be the trouble.

So the dentist in Aus removed all the Bali fillings for new ones. Pain didn't stop....I now know that it was sinus problems (after I started removing my upper teeth). No Dr or dentist suggested sinus.

 

Sent from my SM-J700F using Tapatalk

 

 

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, carlyai said:

I've had root canals from her before, but it's the first time she's said this. So she was telling me that I may go through all the procedure and it may not work, do I still want to go ahead?

With the cost and questionable outcome.

I've had many root canals, and the first time I've been told this, so yours is probably different.

Just as an aside, do you get sinus?

I had a lot of work done, root canals etc in Bali when I worled there. I had lots of pain in my upper teeth, sometimes, and when I went back to Australia, it was suggested that the metal fillings used in Bali could be the trouble.

So the dentist in Aus removed all the Bali fillings for new ones. Pain didn't stop....I now know that it was sinus problems (after I started removing my upper teeth). No Dr or dentist suggested sinus.

 

Sent from my SM-J700F using Tapatalk

 

 

 

No sinus problems. As someone once said "if I'd known I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of my teeth." I firmly believe that when I was still a kid at school, visiting dentists drilled perfectly healthy teeth, just to generate income. Call me paranoid.

Edited by giddyup
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/04/2017 at 1:34 PM, giddyup said:

No sinus problems. As someone once said "if I'd known I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of my teeth." I firmly believe that when I was still a kid at school, visiting dentists drilled perfectly healthy teeth, just to generate income. Call me paranoid.

I believe the same, I remember visiting a UK dentist when I was about 11 years old, he said I needed 7 fillings (which he did), I think it was only a year since my last appointment, difficult to believe he was telling the truth looking back.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, JHolmesJr said:

sounds like an incompetent job.

 

and maybe some infection has taken…root…hehe.

 

I took antibiotics for a week after mine just to be sure.

 

so far RC and crown holding up well….cracking walnuts with them.

He's a dentist that many recommended on this forum, and he always had a waiting room with 5 or 6 falangs waiting, as well as being booked weeks in advance, so I doubt he is incompetent. As Carlyai pointed out, the RC's don't always take.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, giddyup said:

He's a dentist that many recommended on this forum, and he always had a waiting room with 5 or 6 falangs waiting, as well as being booked weeks in advance, so I doubt he is incompetent. As Carlyai pointed out, the RC's don't always take.

I have noticed that the tooth has become a little loose, ie I can move it side to side slightly, something I couldn't do before.

Edited by giddyup
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Mr W,s work is first class IMHO I had a similar issue 4 months ago and after antibiotics it settled down so I cancelled my appointment only for it to return after 3/4 weeks,doctor was away got some more painkillers antibiotics and its all fine now.......give it time I,m sure it will be fine :thumbsup:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, petermik said:

Mr W,s work is first class IMHO I had a similar issue 4 months ago and after antibiotics it settled down so I cancelled my appointment only for it to return after 3/4 weeks,doctor was away got some more painkillers antibiotics and its all fine now.......give it time I,m sure it will be fine :thumbsup:

The tooth is causing me zero pain except for when I chew on that side, which I'm trying to avoid, so I don't think there's any infection. Dr W did use considerable downward pressure when attaching the new crown, so perhaps that caused some inflammation. Apparently (according to Google) it's not uncommon for a tooth to be slightly loose after RC treatment, and I have another couple of weeks before my appointment to see if it will settle down.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have the same issues like yourself after root tratment so I decided not to go for the crown . The dentist in Jomtien suggested to wait and he gave me a temporary strong filling  instead of the crown .  

 

Now after 1 year I am still with a temporary filling.  Why ? Because my tooth is sort of numb when I touch it. Not direct pain , just numbness.  But the root is dead , so I think it could be coming from another tooth . But the x-ray did not reveal anything wrong. As long as I dont feel any pain chewing on that side I guess I just have to live with it and go for the crown . 

 

 

 

 

  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@giddyup. Just finished the second part of the root canal, and the dentist said finished. When she dug deep , it did hurt on a couple of occasions. No crown.
Like you, I suppose I'll just have to wait for a while till it settles down. Just another pain to add to old age.
I like her, she seems a great dentist, once you get use to her kids playing games around you.
Bit different to Aus prices, B 5000 and I think B 3000 at the hospital, but 3 month waiting list.

Sent from my SM-J700F using Tapatalk

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, carlyai said:

@giddyup. Just finished the second part of the root canal, and the dentist said finished. When she dug deep , it did hurt on a couple of occasions. No crown.
Like you, I suppose I'll just have to wait for a while till it settles down. Just another pain to add to old age.
I like her, she seems a great dentist, once you get use to her kids playing games around you.
Bit different to Aus prices, B 5000 and I think B 3000 at the hospital, but 3 month waiting list.

Sent from my SM-J700F using Tapatalk
 

Who did you use?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, giddyup said:

He's a dentist that many recommended on this forum, and he always had a waiting room with 5 or 6 falangs waiting, as well as being booked weeks in advance, so I doubt he is incompetent. As Carlyai pointed out, the RC's don't always take.

 

5-6 farangs sititng in a gogo bar doesn't make it great either. Choosing a dentist is a crapshoot.

 

Botched root canals can cause serious heart problems, I wouldn't take this lightly.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, JHolmesJr said:

 

5-6 farangs sititng in a gogo bar doesn't make it great either. Choosing a dentist is a crapshoot.

 

Botched root canals can cause serious heart problems, I wouldn't take this lightly.

Thanks for the positive comments. Have a look at the Dentist post on the Pattaya forum, this dentist, Dr Warin is by far the most highly recommended. At 75 heart problems are the least of my worries.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm feeling for you Giddyup !
I'm in the middle of a RC treatment, Crown removed and 2 sessions with the RC " specialist ", 1 more session on the 25th and then Crown back on .
Cost me 1,750 + 3,000 + 3,000 so far.
Had some pain after the second session but only lasted a day but it was a 2 hour session and I could feel her cleaning the canal with the 1/4" round file !!, so some after pain is expected.
Mines a big one , 4 root canals, initially the 3 dentists i saw first wanted to pull it !!, but as I have one missing next to it I'd rather try and keep it . Mine had been treated 10 years ago but they didn't get to the root of the problem ( pun intended).

Anyway, good luck.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

I'm feeling for you Giddyup !
I'm in the middle of a RC treatment, Crown removed and 2 sessions with the RC " specialist ", 1 more session on the 25th and then Crown back on .
Cost me 1,750 + 3,000 + 3,000 so far.
Had some pain after the second session but only lasted a day but it was a 2 hour session and I could feel her cleaning the canal with the 1/4" round file !!, so some after pain is expected.
Mines a big one , 4 root canals, initially the 3 dentists i saw first wanted to pull it !!, but as I have one missing next to it I'd rather try and keep it . Mine had been treated 10 years ago but they didn't get to the root of the problem ( pun intended).

Anyway, good luck.

The RC treatment cost me 4000 baht (3 sessions) plus 6000 baht for the crown, total 10,000 baht. I have exactly the same problem, a gap next to the crowned tooth, so didn't want to lose it. Previously I had 2 crowns with a bridge between, but he had to remove 1 crown and the bridge so he could give me RC on the problem tooth. If I wanted him to replace the bridge he would have had to remove the other crown as well. I just wanted to get the one tooth fixed, started to get a little bit sick and tired of dentists, sometimes it seems never-ending.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The RC treatment cost me 4000 baht (3 sessions) plus 6000 baht for the crown, total 10,000 baht. I have exactly the same problem, a gap next to the crowned tooth, so didn't want to lose it. Previously I had 2 crowns with a bridge between, but he had to remove 1 crown and the bridge so he could give me RC on the problem tooth. If I wanted him to replace the bridge he would have had to remove the other crown as well. I just wanted to get the one tooth fixed, started to get a little bit sick and tired of dentists, sometimes it seems never-ending.

Yeah, know what you mean !!
My RC has cost me 6,000 already and expecting another session of 3,000 !!
I'm hoping he can replace the original Crown or I'll need a mortgage for this lot !!
Link to comment
Share on other sites

56 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:


Yeah, know what you mean !!
My RC has cost me 6,000 already and expecting another session of 3,000 !!
I'm hoping he can replace the original Crown or I'll need a mortgage for this lot !!

How did he get the old crown off without damaging it? I had to have a new crown made.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, JHolmesJr said:

seems to be a budget root canal discussion….the rates in bkk for a root canal are (roughly)

 

RC 12k

Pin 4K

Crown (basic) 7K

 

Anything less comes with the attendant risks.

Yes, that must be it. All the dental work in Pattaya is sub-standard because it doesn't cost as much as BKK.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

How did he get the old crown off without damaging it? I had to have a new crown made.

Not sure if it was damaged or not, thinking about it he probably would have had to damage it , bit of wishful thinking on my part .
Seems like it came off fairly easy, although I never saw it, and then he spent an age cleaning up the tooth below .
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:


Not sure if it was damaged or not, thinking about it he probably would have had to damage it , bit of wishful thinking on my part .
Seems like it came off fairly easy, although I never saw it, and then he spent an age cleaning up the tooth below .

That was something I thought was a bit strange. When he removed the old crown the tooth was about 80% whole, but then he virtually removed everything almost to the gum line, don't ask me why.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

That was something I thought was a bit strange. When he removed the old crown the tooth was about 80% whole, but then he virtually removed everything almost to the gum line, don't ask me why.

Just had a quick look at mine, a lot of it is still there, obviously reduced a bit to accept the crown.
Doesn't look pretty though after 10 years under a crown [emoji20]
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, JHolmesJr said:

 

5-6 farangs sititng in a gogo bar doesn't make it great either. Choosing a dentist is a crapshoot.

 

Botched root canals can cause serious heart problems, I wouldn't take this lightly.

A relatively very low cost is a probable reason for him to come so recommended...

 

A rule of thumb  that most people don't know, proper root canal treatment must be done by a RC specialist using a microscope. especially in cases where the root is calcified, which happens more often than you'd imagine.

Only problem is that most places and RC specialists in Thailand don't have access to such expensive equipment and it is only available at a very few places including the well known private hospitals in Bangkok. They do impose quite a high surcharge for using the microscope and the time used.

 

Around 6 months ago I needed a RCT on a molar tooth with 3 roots and ended up researching this quite a lot.

I filtered out a lot of options until I finally cherry picked an amazing specialist from the Silom Dental Hospital: Dr.Pavena Chivatxavanakul D.D.S., Ph.D. http://www.silomdental.com/dentist_bangkok_thailand/endodontic_dentist.html

Luckily they regularly use the microscope and do not charge extra for using it at this clinic.

She was very dedicated and thorough and spent over 6 hours in total to clean my tooth' roots properly.

Important to note that this clinic is not cheap. I ended up paying 18,000 THB for the RCT alone, but you get what you pay for.

I then cherry picked another specialist from BIDC Dr. Tanawat Ritkajorn DDS., MSc., who studied at Chula and the University of Minnesota, USA (one of the world's best unis for dentistry, as listed on http://dental-schools.startclass.com/).

http://www.bangkokdentalcenter.com/thailanddentist/dentists_thailand.html

Edited by dr_lucas
Link to comment
Share on other sites

OP: I have had quite a lot of experiences with dentists in Thailand and not all good. if I were you I  would research a competent specialist and go and get a second opinion.

I remember one occasion I moved temporarily to Bangkok from Pattaya and went to a plush dental clinic. The work done was awful and I needed to come to Pattaya to have the tooth removed and redone. My dentist in Pattaya took photos of the botched work and suggested I could make a formal complaint; though I never did....

Edited by R123
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.






×
×
  • Create New...