Officer on leave after dragging United Airlines passenger off plane

webfact

14 minutes ago, ddavidovsky said:

Any thoughts for that security officer who was just doing his job dealing with a fractious idiot on a plane?  Have you wondered whether he has a wife and kids?  People who lose their jobs lose their livelihoods, their reputations - possibly even their marriages. They can be a suicide risk - oh yes. There's a life thoroughly ruined. Anyone who is happy with that is a dangerous and irresponsible member of society.

This is faux-outrage because it's a trivial event. Some idiot getting a bloody nose he asked for (by breaking the rules he was contracted to) is not worth campaigning over - certainly not worth a torch-and-pitchfork outrage costing people's jobs and livelihoods. Perspective needed.

...all he had to do was follow directions...

• Replies 495
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

11 hours ago, Panda13 said:

There's something seriously wrong with the whole aviation industry since 9/11. They seem to be or rather think that they are above the law and laws of human decency now. I think the law suit this guy will bring, will cost United a lot more than it would have costed them to hire a private jet to get the flight crew to their destination initially. A public relations and business management nightmare really .

...start with TSA...

3 minutes ago, Basil B said:

They were not even United Air Crew who they were bumping 4 Pax for... 

They should have just upped the price until they had 4 volunteers, everybody has their price.

Start with:

• Free upgrade on next available flight
  • + lounge passes
  • + refund cost of tickets
  • + 5 star Hotel and meals
  • Then start with real money and just keep upping it until they get the takers.

Exactly. Inside that plane was 100+ passengers, who each knew that others will take the deal at some point. Let the markets take care of the situation, instead of force.

Its likely that they only needed to offer a generous reward to passengers to leave the 'plane and wait for the next flight.

Instead they started off offering a paltry sum (and then gradually trying to increase it) before deciding to forcibly evict paying passengers.....

They screwed up badly, hence the outrage expressed by other passengers and most of those who have seen/read about it.

Generous? When has any airline been generous to any economy fare customer?

I have volunteered twice (many years ago) first was returning from a work visit to Gibraltar.

I was on a 10am departure and they asked for volunteers to switch to the evening flight offering an afternoon at the Rock Hotel, when being brought back to the airport to recheck-in at 6pm my original flight was still on the departures board, "delayed" it only took off half an hour before my flight.

Second time I volunteered was a flight with EVA on a flight from LHR to Bangers, they were offering quite a good package with a flight with Cathy, up grade and and some cash, enquired and told to wait at some nearby seats for until check-in closed, just before check-in closed a EVA rep came across and said they had a seat for me on the flight so deal was off but I did get an upgrade.

24 minutes ago, 55Jay said:

Nope.  Quit at $800 (company policy/max is $1,350) and called in the bruisers instead.  Gunna teach these pax a lesson they won't soon forget.  Indeed, many pax and potential future pax, could very well remember this for some time to come.

It's gonna cost them a whole lot more in lost business now. Bunch of idiots.

Edited by tonray

The video where he's saying "just kill me" and "wanting to go home " is sickening. He is clearly in a right state and appears to be suffering from severe shock. It makes any normal persons stomach turn to think that a guy that old could be manhandled in such a way by boarding a plane to take him home.
I dread to think how his family feel seeing those clips. Must be heartbreaking.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

I was bumped once while waiting for a connecting flight in Phoenix , Arizona back to Newark. Was offered $150 bucks (this was about 20 years ago), and they gave me a day pass to the Continental club which also included a couple of drinks and some food. So I hung out at the club, had a few cocktails and a club sandwich, napped for about 2 hours and by the time I was done, the next flight was ready to go. 

No reason to drag people off the plane....insane.

1 hour ago, tuktuktuk said:

I hate to say it, but I have take a different view.  When uniformed security personnel instruct you to leave your seat you must comply.  Fighting it endangers everyone surrounding you.  I agree that United handled it badly and I don't fully understand the rule that they invoked.  In spite of the fact that being kicked off the plane would make me really angry, I would never do what this doctor did.  It's just like the way people resist arrest today.  It's futile and puts you at risk.  Get off the plane and fight later.  United should have the right to refuse anyone service and you should have the right to seek redress through the courts, but not with your fists. 

This is a fair point.  I doubt that the guy was in a rational state of mind.  It is one strand of the argument that you make well but it is only one strand.  For me, what happened lies squarely at the feet of the airline and law enforcement and there is little mitigation.

1 hour ago, ddavidovsky said:

As far as I understand, the airline's rules on this issue are stated in the small print and the customer has legally bound himself in an explicit contract to those rules in buying the ticket. In a restaurant, as there's no explicit contract covering the issue, basic consumer rights would apply and the customer would have a genuine grievance.

That's clear enough to me and and I'm not even a lawyer.

In any case, neither of us was there at the time so we don't know exactly how it happened. Experience tells me though that most likely the security men requested the man politely but firmly at first to accompany them off the plane. They would be trained to do that. They wouldn't have known in any case what this was all about - they were simply told to remove the passenger.

No doubt after several refusals, at which point they could see the man wasn't in his right mind, he was deemed to be a potential danger to the flight and was forcibly ejected. That was correct.

How he managed to get back in is the only question worthy of investigation here - he could have been a genuine psycho. 

Again, this is a side of the argument that needs to be aired.  We all know he should have just got up and left.  I guess he flipped.  Was there something in the situation that pushed him beyond reason ?- well that's the issue, and in my view what he was presented with was totally unreasonable! almost surreal!

Of course he got irritated, and anxious about being confronted by law enforcement, again, I don't necessarily see that this would lead to me to think he was at fault.  And finally, yes, it got to the stage where he just had to be removed.  But the point is it was the whole situation that had made it so, and again the airline and law enforcement were entirely at fault.

When someone's rights have been violated, it is not uncommon for people to demonize them (blame the victim) by asserting they are mad, bad, and dangerous.

5 hours ago, ddavidovsky said:

I shouldn't think an airline is legally or morally obliged to offer out-of-proportion compensations, or else passengers will start holding an airline to ransom in such cases, simply by childishly refusing to get off.

The amount offered seems more than fair to me - I would have taken it, especially I'd been randomly selected to get off.

This chap should simply have got off and quit whining. When he refused to budge, security was obviously told to remove the man. When he still refused to budge - well, you don't mess with security in the US - they physically ejected him. Quite right.

The social justice warriors have latched onto the case and are screaming outrage as usual, calling for law cases and sackings. They need objectivity and perspective.

This gets my vote for the dumbest post in this thread.

-- Social Justice Warrior J.G.

1 hour ago, watgate said:

I sent an email to United Airlines stating that due to the reprehensible treatment of the asian doctor I will NEVER use United Airlines. Even now their CEO is showing his arrogance by begrudgingly giving a half-hearted apology and defending the actions of the perpetrators. 

Good effort.  I haven't sent anything to the Black Hole though.

The only thing these cats care about is loss of revenue, market share, and a falling share price which will cause the board to act on behalf of shareholders. 

The next best thing is the possibility of that.  A smart CEO (and board) would intervene and solve this straight away to keep it from getting to that stage or, at least contain and minimize the damage already done and hope it fades into the short news cycle and our collective memory as soon as possible. 

United CEO has taken another path.  *[-( not talking

Under the laws in most countries, whatever actions are committed by employees of a company while on duty, are acted on behalf of the company. This means that the company bosses are fully responsible for the assault perpetrated on that United airlines passenger.

Being this happened in America and on an American airline, I have no doubts the passenger will be suing for millions over this. I also have no doubts there will be lawyers offering to act on the passengers behalf for free in this can`t lose case, with fees being paid from the compensation paid by the airline.

Thumbs up to you mate, everyone is on your side. 

YES...it will be interesting to see how this case is resolved and what new procedures will come about for both passenger and support airline personnel.

The Cabin crew has to put up will so many, high maintenance flyers... and yet they do their best.

Passenger behavior needs to change as well...traveling with red hots is a bore and inconvenience. 

I don't know where people get off thinking it is up to them to decide what is right or wrong.   When a police officer, security personnel or anyone in a position of authority tells you to do something, first you do and then you complain later.   

I've been on a plane when they called for volunteers, and I volunteer unless I have a connecting flight and they offer compensation no problem.

The one thing is, if a person in a position of authority tells you to do something, first do it and then ask questions or complain later.  

11 hours ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

They did $400 + hotel which later went up to $800 + hotel but still no takers.
I think the money is in form of a travel award not cash which is probably a bad idea , which of these passengers would travel United again ??
Not many would be my guess !

In actuality people will think about not booking with United again, but when it comes to price and schedule, if a United flight fits, they will fly it.  Some will stick to their guns but after one year or so, most casual flyers will do United. 

9 minutes ago, Credo said:

I don't know where people get off thinking it is up to them to decide what is right or wrong.   When a police officer, security personnel or anyone in a position of authority tells you to do something, first you do and then you complain later.   

I've been on a plane when they called for volunteers, and I volunteer unless I have a connecting flight and they offer compensation no problem.

The one thing is, if a person in a position of authority tells you to do something, first do it and then ask questions or complain later.  

What a shame you weren't on board this flight. Think of all the heartache that would have been avoided  :smile:

Meanwhile, depending on how bad the fallout is in China, today could be a good time to snap up some UAL stock.

UAL.JPG

Edited by kkerry

21 minutes ago, Credo said:

How about it they tell you to jump off a bridge?  Do you complain on the way down then ask questions after impact?  Just kidding, couldn't resist. :biggrin:

1 hour ago, champers said:

Even Fox News think United have gone beyond the pale. United's share price has risen on the back of all this. (???).

When this story started to go viral yesterday I was surprised the stock price wasnt affected. I read an analysis that airlines already have a bad rep anyway and these kind of incidents are priced into the share price. Well... I guess some analysts underestimated this. Everyone in the world is talking about it. Today UAL is getting hammered. 

Quote from twitter: United Airlines stock is being re-accomodated...

IMG_6165.PNG

Edited by Gulfsailor