Japan trip scam: Different flavours of bait lured the victims

webfact

Different flavours of bait lured the victims

The Nation

8917536202f1856e6da6f59007357c9a.jpeg

BANGKOK: -- VICTIMS OF AN alleged tour scam told about differing methods used to lure them into paying for a trip to Japan that never happened.

They were among more than 1,000 people who have been stranded at Suvarnabhumi Airport for the past two days after being denied promised air tickets for the trip to Osaka, allegedly organised by the direct-sales company WealthEver.

Pongnapa Thitiwatchara, one of the victims, said that she had been persuaded by a friend to buy air tickets to fly to Japan at a “special promotional price”. She was told that the total cost of the trip would range between Bt10,000 and Bt20,000. That offer interested her so she transferred Bt10,000 to the company and came to the airport on Tuesday for the flight. But no representatives of the company appeared at the airport to meet her.

Ubon Ratchathani resident Nirun Santhaweesuk, 46, told the Thai News Agency that he had bought the package tour from the company at the suggestion of an acquaintance. He paid Bt9,800 for himself and each of eight family members – for a total of Bt88,200 – for the “very cheap tour” to Japan. 

Nirun said he had been told by the company that his family would board a chartered flight to begin the promised tour. He said he only discovered while at the airport on Tuesday night that he had been duped and that there were many others who were also victims of the scam.

More than 400 people have filed complaints with police, more than 40 of whom had been questioned, police said yesterday. Siripitcha Anuraksakul, who identified herself as another victim, said she had seen an advertisement about the tour on an online marketplace website. She paid Bt30,000 to join the trip although she had been unaware it was organised by a direct-sales company.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/national/30312178

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-04-13

"...organised by the direct-sales company WealthEver."

"Wealth Ever" for the scammers not for the scammed. It appears they have gotten their wealth from people who refuse to learn that if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is. These type of scams have been going on forever and will continue to thrive as long as there are people who want to believe that they can get something for nothing, and never do any research about the legitimacy of those who are offering such bargains.

If the. "average" cost of a trip to Japan is 30 to 40k ( as mentioned in the article)...then the buyers all had a serious attack of greed and gullibility. No checks done on the company background?...warnings issued weeks ago in the media about this " deal and this company".....and it won't be the last  so called travel company to dupe customers.....

2 hours ago, KIWIBATCH said:

If the. "average" cost of a trip to Japan is 30 to 40k ( as mentioned in the article)...then the buyers all had a serious attack of greed and gullibility. No checks done on the company background?...warnings issued weeks ago in the media about this " deal and this company".....and it won't be the last  so called travel company to dupe customers.....

On the whole true, but about 10 years I booked a dozen tickets to Santiago Chile from Toronto.

I found the tickets on line for $560 Canadian dollars all in. I had been flying to Chile for many years.

The going price was about  $1,800 and a great price through a consolidator or group sales desk

at Air Canada was $1,250 dollars. But there I was looking at tickets for $560 all fees and taxes in.

I studied intently. What was I missing. Was it a scam, was it for just a one way ticket. After looking

and looking, I pulled the trigger and bought the tickets. To be honest until we got on the plane

a coupe of months later I was a little unsure. All went well. No issues.

Also I have flown on Air Asia on a number of occasions where I have been shocked

at the low price. Discounted hotels on Agoda. etc.......etc...

17 minutes ago, Ulic said:

On the whole true, but about 10 years I booked a dozen tickets to Santiago Chile from Toronto.

I found the tickets on line for $560 Canadian dollars all in. I had been flying to Chile for many years.

The going price was about  $1,800 and a great price through a consolidator or group sales desk

at Air Canada was $1,250 dollars. But there I was looking at tickets for $560 all fees and taxes in.

I studied intently. What was I missing. Was it a scam, was it for just a one way ticket. After looking

and looking, I pulled the trigger and bought the tickets. To be honest until we got on the plane

a coupe of months later I was a little unsure. All went well. No issues.

Also I have flown on Air Asia on a number of occasions where I have been shocked

at the low price. Discounted hotels on Agoda. etc.......etc...

If you book at the right time I think it's possible to get 3xxx baht each way on Air Asia to Japan from DMK. Stay at some cheap hotels (which do exist in Japan), get a rail pass and you can have a cheap tour. You do have to be a bit travel savvy to do this and be interested in Japan to do a bit of research and googling. I doubt any of the scammed would be able to manage this though or be aware that it's possible.

4 hours ago, darksidedog said:

I am amazed that not one of the thousand plus who fell for this were suspicious that they had not been given any tickets prior to arrival at the airport.

Proves that a fool and his money are easily parted.

is pretty much the done thing now a days. book online and turn up at the airport with a passport.

4 hours ago, darksidedog said:

I am amazed that not one of the thousand plus who fell for this were suspicious that they had not been given any tickets prior to arrival at the airport.

Or any of them checked their booking on line...getting over the stranded shtick too they were hardly stranded just rorted. 

For MLM to work, the members have to promote and sell the products getting more members to join and receive a percentage of the sales as commission. 

Now we know that Shogun is the head fraudster. Question is how many under her has knowingly and unknowingly sold the the scam and pocketed the commission as well.

5 hours ago, darksidedog said:

There was 1 Thai lady, well known in the Thai society, Khun Helen. She was offered the same scam as well. 

Promoted the tour on her facebook page. Got 200 over people to sign up.

Was hounded repeatedly by Shogun for the money.

Khun Helen smell a rat and call up her connections in Cathay Pacific and confirmed there was no such trip or bookings.

Confronted Shogun and returned all 200 people the money. 

That was how Cathay Pacific got wind of the scam before hand and alerted the police of a possible scam.

6 hours ago, darksidedog said:

I was just trying to explain to a "clueless" chinese girl about how she took a private car to samui from bkk!!!! and then didnt buy a ticket yet to CM for songkran?!!! then said she could get a bus

from kao san rd...ugh..i told her to only buy from mo chit or take a flight which was 1500bt! 

needless to say shes taking a overpriced bus--paid but hasnt gotten the tix yet..and also said

how they told her the prices have gone up cos of holiday--man these chinese are just daft...:saai:

The amount of time and money spent could have just booked 2 flights on air asia....good grief

6 hours ago, jaltsc said:

"...organised by the direct-sales company WealthEver."

"Wealth Ever" for the scammers not for the scammed. It appears they have gotten their wealth from people who refuse to learn that if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is. These type of scams have been going on forever and will continue to thrive as long as there are people who want to believe that they can get something for nothing, and never do any research about the legitimacy of those who are offering such bargains.

In the land of fakes & knock-offs it's hard to decipher if anything is actually genuine.
Even the fakes are graded into what quality band they fall!!!

As for cheaper than cheap holidays I would have delved a bit deeper before parting with hard cash, it's not like buying a cheap handbag!!

Feel sorry for the guy buying 9 tickets in total.. Ouchhhhh !

years ago i met a guy called Mehmet ......xxxx he was sales manager of AXA Switzerland.

His ponzi scheme in direct selling insurance policies made him self made millionaire, awarded by AXA and rewarded by the German Police.

Did his time and is now relaxing in Alanya coast line Turkey.

The Guy invented the stage scenes we see today all over the world.

They know they get caught, but stashed the money away before hand..........

and they , their victims, have all one ingredient in common.......getting rich easy!